Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Room with a View



Better Homes and Gardens extended the idea of an all-efficient kitchen right on into the dooryard in this February 1947 article about the help that a great view could be for the housewife:

What Does Your Wife See From the Kitchen?

Why ignore the kitchen window when planning your garden? Other windows will frame special views, each carefully planned. Yet women spend more than one-third of all their daylight hours in the kitchen, more if they iron there, too. Tho moments to look out are few, even fleeting glances can restore energy and lift spirits. Gay flower colors and graceful foliage of choice plants can offer their cheer. Or yours can be a tiny garden, quiet and peaceful - a place for shadows to play.

Alas, the little kitchen in my little apartment hasn't any windows or views. (I'm so jealous of you homeowners!) I wouldn't say I'm spending one-third of all my daylight hours in the kitchen yet, but I'll soon be adding a vintage dinner to my routine once a week. And when my sister gets home and my niece is happily under her mother's care again, I'll be adding a weekly cleaning o' the kitchen to my routine. Is it time to add some flowering plants or a pot of ivy to my windowless workspace? Any ideas for some houseplants with a '40s flair that'll thrive in the kitchen?

14 comments:

Amypie71 said...

It doesn't snow here in the winter so what's in the garden that I can see from my kitchen window are native trees, ferns and blue agapanthas that flower in the summer. On the windowsill though are little cactis in little pots, I figure they're easy to deal with :-)

Hairball T. Hairball said...

I really like that first picture as dark green is one of my favorite colors.

50sgal said...

I adore that kitchen layout! I am getting really serious with my project and an addition to the kitchen is going to be a big project this spring. I will document the hilarity for all. I would think any ferns would do nicely. I have a dark corner in my kitchen and ivys and ferms don't want bright sunlight, so they thrive there, though a fern does love to be misted. OF course, you are in a hot climate arent' you? So you could do some succulents. I know thatSwedish ivy and philodendron were both VERY popular in the 1950s and didn't need tons of light. The bromeliads were very popular in the 50s as they had such modern looks to them and bright colors, I don't know if they were as popular in the 1940s. THey are a fun and rewarding plant. The 'flower' is really much like the leaves but it's the foliage that really has the color. Bright purples and reds and stripes with green etc and they are easy to take offshoots from and make more and more houseplants! They like light but not DIRECT light as it will burn their leaves. an east or westfacing window is good for them, but again for dark ivys are your best bet. It might be too dry where u are to really grow a good boston fern, but they LOVE bathrooms, particularly if you shower everyday! Well, I am sure that is more info than you wanted. Can you tell I love plants and used to own a flower shop!

Amber said...

We finally have a window over our sink in our apartment and even though it looks out on our fenced-in rock yard, I still love it! The sunshine coming through makes up for the desert's lack of landscpaing! ;0)

For your kitchen, I'd try some small potted roses. Roses are always a classic choice and the potted ones would be perfect to add a little pop to your kitchen. Hmm...now I'm think I might want some too!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I once lived in a small apartment with no kitchen window, but an open space over the sink. We found a picture of a window looking out into a beautiful garden. It was fantastic. We got one of those behind the sink shelves and I put a small ivy on it, something that didn't need much light. It really helped to have something to look at in my kitchen, especially because where we lived at that time it was very foggy on a daily basis.

Anonymous said...

Where do you find all of your wonderful pictures for your posts?

Ava said...

Hi! I'm a new follower. My first reaction was ferns, and I see that several people said that also. Ferns or some herbs or even small potted gardenias. Gardenias were worn by everyone during that time period, but I'm not sure about indoors? I always see those huge trees in homes in the films...

50sgal said...

gardenias and roses would be lovely but believe me, if you are new to plants and have little light DO NOT start with roses and gardenias indoors you will be unhappy with the results, also once the blooms go on those mini roses and the leaves begin to fall due to lack of light, it will not be pretty, stick with ivy and pheladenrons to start. thats my two cents

Unknown said...

geraniums always look nice, daisy's( the dwarf version) , pansy's, petunia's, violets,, lavender, rosemary, all of these things look wonderful in a window box. The lavender you can use to scent your closet, chest of drawers,and bath water. Rosemary you can use in cooking and it smells so nice when you brush against it.

Christine Rutherford said...

I don't have plant recommendations, but thought I would mention that there's now a flower pot made in Fiestaware. It's available in all their bright colors, and would certainly add a lot of cheer to your kitchen!

Jitterbug said...

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I've never had much in the way of a green thumb, so succulents are the only thing I've had much luck with - and those are on the landing outside my door. Yes, I think taking the climate in my kitchen into consideration will be very important if I'm going to have anything that'll last more than a week. My kitchen gets zero daylight. Only gets some artificial light when I'm at home. I keep my apartment at a pretty moderate 70 year round, but it can get very dry during the winter.

I think I could probably even do without blossoms. Just a touch of green make such a difference. The two plants I've noticed most in kitchen illustrations in magazines are ivy and geraniums. 50s gal, I guess if ivy does well in the dark, it may survive my kitchen!

Cebs, I've absolutely been giving some thought to a picture as well. Hey, when you don't have a window, you can get pretty desperate. The view from my sink at present is just a solid block of apartment beige wall. There isn't much room to place pots, so I'm going to have to get creative in hanging them or maybe putting them up high. (Which reminds me - I'll have to add plant watering to my housekeeping routine!)

Michele, the photos I use are generally from either the LIFE collection that's just been digitized by Google or the Library of Congress. The illustrations are generally from magazine ads. I'm glad you like 'em...

Ooh, herbs would be a nice addition, too. Christine, thanks for the tip about the Fiesta flowerpot.

weenie_elise said...

a very vintage thing would to get some artificial plants... they don't need watering or light... just an occasional dusting

Shay said...

Check out American Vintage Home's Flickr account if you want some real kitchen envy :-( I have remodeled my house (in my imagination) a dozen times after a visit there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10197266@N05/sets/72157611802408459/

Jitterbug said...

Oy. I think artificial plants would depress me. Which is not to say that they wouldn't have been embraced by a '40s housewife! My great-aunt, who is 95, "plants" artificial flowers in her dooryard. :)

Shay, I have come across that series and the illustrations are just wonderful to look at! A feast for the eyes... I think I'll take another look at the '40s set and keep an eye out for houseplants.