
I've just taken the linens off my bed and I'm getting ready to launch my new mission. So in lieu of a post of my own tonight, I thought I'd share an interesting bit on creating a housekeeping schedule from America's Housekeeping Book (1945). It strikes me that the 1940s housewife was probably not quite as overachieving as the housewife we envision during the '50s (or the Super Moms of the '80s, for that matter). She didn't expect to be able to do it all herself and to have a perfect home at every phase of her life.
How to go about making a schedule? First write down the jobs that need to be done every day. Next write down the tasks that need to be done on a particular day of the week. Then make a simple chart, and write down each job at the day and hour when it is most convenient to work it in...
No two homes are exactly alike, and different conditions affect the work schedule. If there is a small baby, the whole household schedule must be built around the schedule which the doctor prescribes for the baby, and more often than not there is very little time left for housework, particularly if household help is not employed. A recent study showed that the care of a new baby takes 5 hours and 41 minutes every day. But after all, baby's well-being is of far more importance than any other phase of housekeeping, and if some other work has to be neglected or done less thoroughly, this state of affairs should be accepted philosophically.
Young children, children of school age, an invalid or elderly person to be cared for all necessitate special adjustments in work schedules. If one or more household helpers are employed, their work schedules must dovetail with the homemaker's.
5 comments:
yes, I just sat down on wednesday and drew up a schedule for myself... i'm going to see how it goes
Jitterbug, I only awarded myself a 2 out of 10 for my cleaning efforts yesterday, but it will get better. The clutter-free status of the bedrooms has improved enormously. It is all good, in that the house is much cleaner than last week at the same time. Just thinking 'clean' seems to make the house tidier, as you have noted, because I pick things up, and put them away. Novel concept!
Hope your cleaning project went more swimmingly than mine!
I have lots to report later today on last night's new mission... Clutter has got to be very hard to work around. I moved cross-country two years ago and still have very little stuff in my apartment, so the minimalism makes things much easier, I'm sure.
What a perfect time to read your post! I had just sat down with the reminder to change the bed linen today so I quickly threw the quilt out in the sun to air, as well as the pillows.
Woo! I feel better now that's done.
I'm glad it came in handy! There is nothing like sleeping under a freshly aired bedspread...
Post a Comment