Sunday, April 19, 2009

Beauty and the Bath

Have you ever noticed that food becomes much more interesting the minute you've barred yourself from snacking?

From the minute the clock struck 8:00 last night, I could think of nothing but the snacks I'd like to be eating. (Even though there are probably many nights when I'm not snacking at that hour!) And with a kitchen full of new groceries, there was plenty to tempt the palate. I ended up turning in early just to banish those awful cravings. Well, wouldn't you know, I managed to survive the night. For years, I've indulged every whim when it comes to eating, so to put even the slightest of boundaries on food feels harsh and twisting --- but I'm sure that feeling won't last forever.

I survived my walks as well. 35 minutes - that's three laps 'round the track at the park - on both Saturday and Sunday. I'm glad I broke out the baseball cap, because it was already a sunny 89 degrees by the time I got to the park this morning. I may give some thought to walking on the weekend before I eat my breakfast and do my morning chores. Maybe even before I shower for the day...

This evening's 1945 dinner menu:

Browned Potatoes
Asparagus Salad
Enriched Bread
Fresh Fruit Cup, Three

My first decision as I prepared to begin washing my face in the mornings? Whether to do it in the shower or in the sink. This would have been a moot point for most women in the 1940s as showers were just beginning to gain in popularity. The grooming routine does recommend that the face be washed in the evening after taking a bath. With that in mind - and in order to give my face the attention it deserves - I decided to wash my face in the sink after my morning shower. Besides, the skin's already been steamed. The pores are open. It should be an ideal time for cleansing. Next, I had to decide on a soap. I've been using a bar of Ivory soap scented with lavender in the shower. But my face has always been sensitive to fragranced things, so it was off to the drugstore to hunt up something mild and fragrance free. What a disappointment not to see almost any of the brands I'd been admiring in vintage magazines! No Lux, no Woodbury's, no Palmolive (at least not in the face soap aisle!) --- I ended up taking home some unscented Ivory.

The soap and water does make my face feel clean, but it also feels a little taut. I can't tell yet whether that's the soap itself or the toning effect of the cold water splashed on at the end. Judging from the articles in magazines and newspapers of the period, women in the '40s were also concerned then about the drying effect of soap. Beauty experts seem to have universally advised the daily use of cold cream to re-moisten the skin, but soap was still deemed the best cleanser available: "Nothing can cleanse the skin so satisfactorily as soap and water, leaving the face fresh and glowing." A warm water rinse was essential, though, as cold water wasn't thought to thoroughly remove soap residue. Check out this darling article I found in the women's column of the April 18, 1943 edition of the St. Petersburg Times:

Beauty and the Bath
by Betty Clarke

Dear Housewives:

There's no excuse girls for looking fagged out and weary when papa comes home from work! It's just as much your duty to give his eyes something to feast on as it is to have his dinner on the table.

Even though time seems to be on your rationed list now that you're cook, cleaning woman, laundress, and gardener yourself, you still must sandwich in a few minutes for nothing but beauty...

[The author goes on to extol all the merits of a late afternoon bath.]

While you're running the tub, you can do so much. First be sure to tuck your curls high on your head or they will get wet and stringy. Then take care of your complexion by lathering your face with a deep pore-cleansing soap delicately scented with lavender. The next step is skin lubrication - smooth on a night cream generously and let it soak in as you soak in the tub...

And now back to your face. Remove every speck of cream that hasn't been absorbed and dash on a refreshing skin lotion. Then, your make-up.

Do you remember last winter when I realized that I really ought to start wearing a bathrobe and slippers around my apartment in the morning? That streaking about in my nightclothes probably wasn't very vintage-minded? That's been a hard habit to break. Until yesterday. As I stepped out of the shower, dried myself off, ran a brush through my hair --- I found myself reaching for a bathrobe. I didn't want to stand there over the sink washing my hair and trying to keep a towel wrapped around me at the same time. I guess when you spend even a few extra minutes tending to yourself in the morning, that robe or housecoat really comes in handy.

4 comments:

Packrat said...

I, too, am sensitive to frangrances (sp?)- not only on my face, but most of the rest of my body, too. I use baby wash only when I shower. The rest of the time I only splash water on my face. Sounds terrible, but the more I wash my face the more it breaks out. I can't use any lotion on my face. I even have to be careful about scented lip balms. Plain Vaseline or mineral oil works best as a moisturizer for me. I did hear that plain shortening (not flavored) makes a good moisturizer, but I haven't tried it.

Also, I know exactly what you mean about banning the snacks. Makes me want to eat more. Would half a banana or apple be a terrible thing to eat after 8? No, I'm not trying to sabotage you.

I love putting on a cotton flannel or terry cloth bathrobe after towel drying. It seems to help absorb any leftover moisture.

Please send some will power vibes this direction, okay? :) You are doing great!

Jitterbug said...

Wow, you do have sensitive skin! It sounds like you've learned to work around it pretty well. It's tough, as practically everything out there is fragranced these days.

I don't think a small snack would hurt after 8, but the thing is --- I'm not even hungry. The cravings are completely separate from actual hunger, and I think I've got to re-learn how to distinguish between the two.

Thanks for the thumb's up! I have zero willpower by the way, but if I did I'd speed some in your direction. :)

prairieknitter01 said...

I really admire your determination to make this work! Try as I might, I just can't make five hours squeezed in after a long work day feel like waking up on a sunny morning and having a whole day stretch out in front of me to do all these chores. On Saturday mornings, I do feel differently about the house but when I get home on weeknights, it feels like the work day is just starting all over again. I admire you so much for all you do manage to fit in!

About snacking: at 10 p.m. I have exactly five Wheat Thins topped with five little squares of cheese and a hot cup of herbal tea while I watch the news. That's my treat and wild dogs could not keep it away from me. It is a simple thing and it pulls the plug on my compulsion to snack if I have a little something to count on!

Andrea

Jitterbug said...

Andrea, isn't it great when we find something that works so perfectly for us - like your snacking ritual! Thanks so much for the good thoughts. The reason I've been trying to fit so much in on weeknights is that I'd really like to have some free time on the weekends for relaxing and being with friends and family. If I had free time on weeknights, I'd more often than not spend it zoning out in front of the TV, then off to bed.