Lily Haxworth Wallace, The New American Etiquette (1941)
As we all know, there was more to the model 1940s housewife than housework. Women of the era were expected to practice good grooming habits throughout their lives. And even middle-aged and older women were encouraged to wear corsets if necessary to achieve a more youthful figure.
I can remember as a teenager being much less interested in makeup, fashion and hairstyles than my peers. I was a little interested, but nowhere near fascinated enough to spend hours poring over fashion magazines, practicing hairstyles, or hanging out at the mall. I guess I was too busy with music. Fast forward nearly two decades, and I'm still uninterested. But I can't get away with that as nicely as I could when I was young. (That youthful glow can make up for a lot!) When you're in your teens, it's the natural, outdoorsy look. When you're in your thirties, it's just frumpy. Frowsy and frumpy.
Like many women in their thirties, my weight has a biography almost as long as my own. Suffice it to say, it's been an issue since I was 18 and my metabolism finally hit puberty. I've had chubby times, slender times, and long periods when I was able to maintain a great figure through hard work. Between 2003 and 2005, though, I gained 75-80 lbs. and have carried most of that weight around for the last few years. Okay, it's very hard for me to put the final figure down in black and white --- but if I can be even half as successful taking the approach that's working for my housekeeping and applying it to my weight problem, it will be worth it --- *deep breath* - I weigh 196 today. I should say "about" 196, because I only get on a scale when I go to the doctor's office and it's been a month or so. Do I beat myself up about it? A little. But what frightens me more is how accepting I've become about the extra weight.
So the frump needs to go. I'm cleaning house now in every sense of the word and all this extra "clutter" needs to be dispensed with. Easier said than done - as I'm sure many of you know from personal experience. I'm encouraged by the fact that the approach I've taken to becoming a better housekeeper is working. The historical side of it intrigues me enough to get things done even when it seems like torture. Maybe this can help me in losing this weight.
There are no mysteries here. We've known forever that all it takes is to moderate your diet and exercise more. They knew sixty years ago that there weren't any magic answers to this age-old issue: "Try to attain it in whatever way is easiest for you." During my twenties, walking was the key. I walked 40 minutes a day, seven days a week. So I'm going to trust that experience and put it to work again. Walking isn't particularly easy when you live in a sketchy city neighborhood, but I do work in a good location for walking and there's the park on weekends. So here is my three-fold mission for the next week:
Fitness
Walk 30 minutes a day, five days a week. I'll probably aim for three times on weekdays (during the lunch hour) and both days on weekends.
Diet
I'm going to knock the empty calorie breakfast menus off the meal plan, i.e. French toast, griddlecakes, and waffles. I don't particularly like them, and they don't do me any favors energy-wise.
Grooming
I can remember as a teenager being much less interested in makeup, fashion and hairstyles than my peers. I was a little interested, but nowhere near fascinated enough to spend hours poring over fashion magazines, practicing hairstyles, or hanging out at the mall. I guess I was too busy with music. Fast forward nearly two decades, and I'm still uninterested. But I can't get away with that as nicely as I could when I was young. (That youthful glow can make up for a lot!) When you're in your teens, it's the natural, outdoorsy look. When you're in your thirties, it's just frumpy. Frowsy and frumpy.
Like many women in their thirties, my weight has a biography almost as long as my own. Suffice it to say, it's been an issue since I was 18 and my metabolism finally hit puberty. I've had chubby times, slender times, and long periods when I was able to maintain a great figure through hard work. Between 2003 and 2005, though, I gained 75-80 lbs. and have carried most of that weight around for the last few years. Okay, it's very hard for me to put the final figure down in black and white --- but if I can be even half as successful taking the approach that's working for my housekeeping and applying it to my weight problem, it will be worth it --- *deep breath* - I weigh 196 today. I should say "about" 196, because I only get on a scale when I go to the doctor's office and it's been a month or so. Do I beat myself up about it? A little. But what frightens me more is how accepting I've become about the extra weight.
So the frump needs to go. I'm cleaning house now in every sense of the word and all this extra "clutter" needs to be dispensed with. Easier said than done - as I'm sure many of you know from personal experience. I'm encouraged by the fact that the approach I've taken to becoming a better housekeeper is working. The historical side of it intrigues me enough to get things done even when it seems like torture. Maybe this can help me in losing this weight.
There are no mysteries here. We've known forever that all it takes is to moderate your diet and exercise more. They knew sixty years ago that there weren't any magic answers to this age-old issue: "Try to attain it in whatever way is easiest for you." During my twenties, walking was the key. I walked 40 minutes a day, seven days a week. So I'm going to trust that experience and put it to work again. Walking isn't particularly easy when you live in a sketchy city neighborhood, but I do work in a good location for walking and there's the park on weekends. So here is my three-fold mission for the next week:
Fitness
Walk 30 minutes a day, five days a week. I'll probably aim for three times on weekdays (during the lunch hour) and both days on weekends.
Diet
I'm going to knock the empty calorie breakfast menus off the meal plan, i.e. French toast, griddlecakes, and waffles. I don't particularly like them, and they don't do me any favors energy-wise.
Grooming
I came across a grooming routine for teenage girls in the October 1946 issue of Good Housekeeping. Seven steps for the morning, six steps for the evening, and six items to be done "once a week without fail." I'm adopting the first of these this week. First thing in the morning, as soon as you get out of bed and go into the bathroom:
Drink one big glass of water.
Wish me luck... The fitness plan is truly going to be my toughest mission yet!
Drink one big glass of water.
Wish me luck... The fitness plan is truly going to be my toughest mission yet!
17 comments:
I'm interested in hearing these 7/6/6 steps that are recommended. Would you please let us know what they are? I feel I need some help in establishing a routine and I like the sound of hints that start with drinking water!
Ooh, I'm really interested to hear the 7/6/6 steps too. Any chance you could post them all? :)
Good luck by the way, I have about 45 pounds to loose myself, but I got complacent because it is just so accepted that being a little chubby is how I am. Those 1940s housewives, they had so much more sense than we do now!
I'm inspired by you. You can do this. I will be cheering you on.
I'm in the midst of following a diet from 1958 for the same reasons you listed. Lower calories, more exercise, drink that water!
I've read that we need to drink a glass in the AM and PM to help with the dehyrdration that occurs over night. At first it was hard to down that glass (especially in the AM), but I feel better now thanks to that habit.
Gaining control in other areas of our lives that have been undisciplined before definitely gives encouragement to tackle other areas!
Very interested in knowing the grooming steps...can you share them?
I'll be cheering for you! I have started walking to and from work, and I'll be thinking of you.
I'd be happy to type up the grooming routine from the magazine article! I'll include them in my next post...
Seraphim, it is a little bit of a bummer when the people around us just seem to start thinking of us as the chubby one! Best of luck with your own weight loss... BTW, those '40s housewives may have been more sensible about keeping their figures, but we have all the same abilities they did - plus some killer new knowledge about health, nutrition, etc. I know we can do it, too!
Thanks for the cheers, Bonjour Madame. I do appreciate them! :)
Roxanne, I know just what you mean about how success in some areas empowers us to attack the others.
This is a wonderful addition to the mission! I too just relaized I need to get serious about my eating and exercising habits, so I'll be popping on doubly as much to see how you're doing.
Here is a link to a little movie from 1954 that shows what happens when we don't try to cultivate good habits!
http://www.archive.org/details/HabitPat1954
Thanks to Humble Labor for getting me hooked on the Prelinger movie archives!
I'm rooting for you!
I just watched the video. That was filmed the year I was born! Guess good habits and good manners never go out of style. :)
I weigh two pounds heavier than you. I'd like to weigh around 160(11 1/2 stone), that would be great. I have some vintage diet books, but I don't have the bravery to follow one! I'm intereseted to see how this experimanet in good grooming of yours goes.
Good luck! I feel your pain being (I hate to admit) about the same size. Although you're probably taller. The last 30 lbs came on in the past three years too. Eating breakfast every day (thanks to inspiration from you) has helped me stop snacking and my weight hasn't gone up more. This new mission will be interesting to follow.
I am going along with you on this ride. I have so many projects I am doing as well as all the 1955 skills I am learning, but I do also need to drop some pounds. I have noticed I lost a little based on less snacking and more physical work (no chips in front of the tv helps!) but I am going to add a morning walk to my already busy day. I just need to and when the weather is nicer, swimming will help, which I love. Good luck and we are behind you.
Emer, getting serious about this stuff is harder than it seems. Life just seems to swim along so quickly and all the everyday concerns seem more important when you're in the moment...
prairieknitter, I love the Prelinger Archives! Their etiquette/social skills-type films from midcentury are so much fun!!! (And make me feel like I'm in grade school again. I think we caught the tail end of those in the '80s.) Thanks for the link.
Dulce Domum, I'm the laziest person in the world when it comes to exercise, so if I can drop this weight, anybody can - I know you have it in you, too! The biggest helps to me in becoming a better housekeeper have been making changes slowly - incrementally - and making my routine flexible. So if I can apply those things to diet and exercise, they've just got to make a difference. And for keeps. I'm going to take this weight off once and never, ever, ever carry it around again. I'd love to learn more about your diet books!
Teru, I'm actually only 5'3", so 196 does not look good on me. :) I'm glad the breakfast thing is working out for you. I find that with the right breakfasts, I'm not famished even at lunchtime --- and much more likely to eat the lunch I packed instead of getting something rotten for me delivered.
50s gal, Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll bet that lack of couch potato time has made a wonderful difference (making a mental note). Enjoy that lovely spring weather and those blessed quiet weekends before the hordes ascend on the Cape!
We're the same height then. So yeah, I really know what it's like. The walking should help a lot though. The last time I lost a lot of weight I did it by walking every day and eating sensible meals. No crazy diet needed, just common sense. Of which I have none now.
The common sense approach is the only thing that tends to make weight loss long-term, isn't it? Just like with this housework, I'm not trying to working fast and furiously for a one-time clean house. Or something that lasts for a week. I'm trying to build new habits that will enable me to keep a clean house for a lifetime. The two things are actually more similar than I would ever have thought before...
Self-discipline.
That (hyphenated) word used to be an accepted part of everyone's lives.
There are many of us who are wanting to rediscover the benefits of practicing self-discipline in all areas of life. Considering the future results of today's choices.
Those dirty dishes in the sink multiply if you leave them. That spending spree at the mall will have to be revisted when the credit card statement comes in. That handful of chocolate eggs WILL come back to haunt you LOL!
So easy. So difficult.
Post a Comment