Saturday, September 19, 2009

36 + 2 = 38

Ooh, so close! I weighed in at 156 lbs. this morning. Just 1 lb. shy of my midway milestone. Soooooooooo close!!! I have to hold off on the confetti and streamers for a little bit longer. How's that for some incentive for the next week. I want to see that 155 so badly I can hardly stand it!

So I guess I was a little over-optimistic about my boss' vacation when it started. :) What a week. I went from feeling completely capable to feeling absolutely overwhelmed and struggling to get as much done at home as I had the energy to do. It's almost over, thank goodness. She'll be back on Tuesday. I'm grateful to have a couple days at home now to recuperate and get caught up on some housework. It's my kitchen's turn this week for an extra special, super-duper monthly cleaning, but I thought I'd sit down and catch up with my blog before getting started on that big job.

My vintage breakfast menu this morning called for Sweet Rolls, but there was no way on God's green earth I had the patience or energy to attempt any yeast breads this weekend! So I flipped through the pages of my cookbook to try and find a quick bread that'd be hearty and filling. You know what's wild? Being able to do that - knowing that I've got the ingredients for most things already there in my own pantry. That still gives me a rush. Here's the recipe for the Raisin Bran Muffins that caught my eye. This is a sugar-free wartime recipe --- the only sweeteners being molasses and the natural sugars in raisins. They were tasty, but nowhere near as yummy as the Rolled Oat Muffins I made a month or so ago.

************************************************

RAISIN BRAN MUFFINS

3/4 cup sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup bran
1/2 cup seeded raisins
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon melted shortening

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together; add bran and raisins. Beat egg and mix with remaining ingredients. Add dry ingredients, mixing only enough to dampen all the flour. Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full and bake in hot oven (400 degrees F.) 30 minutes. Makes 12.

************************************************

Have muffin pans gotten larger since 1945? Not the Texas muffin kind, the everyday muffin pans... This recipe only yielded 10 muffins for me and a few of them were very small.

You'll be proud of me - I finally managed to choke out a conversation with Curly this last week! He came by my office a couple times on Wednesday, the second time to toast one of the bagels in the kitchen that somebody had brought in for a birthday. So his bagel's in the toaster, he's looking at a map on the wall beside my desk, and I'm finishing up a phone call and thinking to myself, "Jitterbug, it's now or never. You've got to move this beyond, 'Hi. How are you?' This is it!" I moved right into his space and asked him something I knew would make him laugh. And he laughed out loud. What a smile! I just wanted to see it again and again. He told me a funny story, then his bagel was finished and I needed to get back to work anyway. Goodness, anybody walking by would have instantly seen how attracted I am to him - he couldn't not have seen it himself --- I must have been smiling and blushing and batting my eyelashes like no tomorrow. I felt a little embarrassed afterward, but decided that if he didn't come by again for awhile that was a sure sign that he was uncomfortable with my attention. Well, he came by again the next day. That's all I needed to know. Open season!

Just so you know how hard it is for me to talk coherently when Curly's anywhere in the vicinity, here's a hint of what's running through my mind. Check out these beautiful pictures taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt at Penn Station in 1944. They're almost a little too personal to look at...













10 comments:

A said...

So proud of you! Congrats!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Way to go! You are doing great on the weight loss and picking up men! LOL

Hugs,
Joanne

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

WooHoo! You're just melting!
Way to go with Curley too; I cannot wait to hear more. =)

lpm

Roxanne said...

I bet you'll zoom past the 155 mark next week. You are amazing!

What do you do for a living? Does it involve writing? You are so good with words.

Kate said...

oooh, congrats on talking to him and making him laugh!

And your weight loss has inspired me to really kick it into gear! I am sure you are looking fabulous, but what I've noticed is that when I feel like I am looking good I put off a more friendly approachable vibe. So keep it up with him!

Dulce Domum said...

Wow! Romance and weight loss, it's all quite exciting. I wish you well in all of your eyelash batting and smiling (it must burn calories too)!

Our Jeremiah 29:11 Life said...

Congrats on all your personal accomplishments! And I love those pictures. LOVE THEM

Jo said...

Oh, Jitterbug, those photos are just heartrending. I wonder for how many of those couples that was the last kiss...

I have been catching up a couple of weeks of your blog entries. A while back you asked if any of us break diet rules - I break the 'eat a decent breakfast' one. The most I ever eat for breakfast is a slice of toast and a herbal tea. Sometimes just an apple. This is because I always stop for 'morning break' with the children and can't resist eating with them. Does your more substantial breakfast get you all the way through to lunch?

susunidu said...

hey hey...good effort and congrdulations....

Jitterbug said...

Thank you all for the congratulations and words of encouragement! I'd be lost without my dear readers... :)

Roxanne, I work for a university doing administrative stuff --- not much in the way of writing, but I did plenty as a student. Sometimes the words just flow and sometimes they don't! I'm glad you like my posts.

Kalee, losing weight and feeling in control of my body again and in control of my home - it's made a tremendous difference in my confidence level. Somebody told me several months ago that I was "glowing" and it feels like that sometimes!

Jo, I feel guilty even looking at those pictures... It helped when I read in the captions for most of these that the soldier was returning to base after a furlough. So I try to think that it's NOT the last kiss before a deployment overseas! And if your light breakfast and mid-morning snack is working for your body, that's all that matters. I do find that the RIGHT breakfast keeps me feeling full from 7am to noon. Of course, I do nurse a cup or two of coffee most of the morning.