Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back to the Bargaining Table



Jitterbug is getting her groove back, but it's taking some time. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard if I hadn't been hit with a one-two punch. If I had gotten sick without having been so overtired from taking care of my niece. Well, life deals you a few knocks once in awhile, and I'm sure I can put this behind me. What can I say? My bad habits when it comes to housekeeping took years and years to put on - and it's only been a few months since I started trying to turn it around.

Even as we speak, I'm bargaining with myself: "I can blog for five minutes, but I have to straighten up my living room afterward." "I can check out all my favorite blogs after that, but I have to clean up the pots soaking in my sink." A messy frump of a devil lounges about on one shoulder while a serene, aproned housewife stands on my other shoulder waving her finger at me. (Of course it doesn't help that this has been a great week for reality TV... Between the shocking finale of The Bachelor and wild card week on American Idol, I've been very - um - busy.)

On the upside, my morning routine is back in place and I actually enjoyed my breakfast today for the first time in a couple weeks. I've been vetching about it, but I'm getting that evening routine done most of the time now, too. I did my wash on Monday and some marketing this evening, but that's it for weekly chores. All in all, I'm doing much better than I was this time last week. And I've got a 1945 dinner on Saturday night to begin getting ready for. Here's the menu:

Parsley Buttered Potatoes
Canned Green Beans
Pear and Grape Salad
Corn Sticks

I love how fancy they make Canned Green Beans sound by capping it all like that... And how 'bout the Pear and Grape Salad? After the Celery Cabbage incident, I think I'll do some investigating before making a grocery list!

6 comments:

prairieknitter01 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prairieknitter01 said...

I needed to edit my comment for clarity, but it wouldn't let me! In the Midwest in 1940, that Pear and Grape Salad would probably have been a molded Jello concoction. Any combination of fruits and veggies suspended in Jello and created in a pretty mold would have been called a "salad" back then, and is even now, at church suppers and so forth, in the rural area I live in. I have my Grandma's little individual aluminum Jello molds from way back - Have fun!

JacquiG said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon your blog, but I'm so glad I did! It's wonderful. I've started at the beginning and I've only just finished December, but I'm enjoying it *so* much! What an amazing experience you are living! Can't wait to catch up with all your posts.

Jackie

Jitterbug said...

Jackie, you're so sweet! I've been a couple challenging weeks, but I'm hoping to pick up some momentum again very soon...

prairieknitter, you're thinking the same thing I was - until I found the recipe inside the cookbook. It's, well, different. Very '40s. I'm not sure how I'm gonna pull this one off, but I'm going to try. Stay tuned for the results later this weekend!

50sgal said...

I think not having tv really makes a difference for me. Of course, I was not a huge tv fan before 1955, but I slowly found myself getting sucked into reality shows such as the design shows, the fashion desing shows, american idol etc, but now the only tv I watch are old episodes from that time and I only do it maybe twice a week. You would be amazed how much you get done when the tv is gone. You could read ALL your favorite blogs and still clean and shop. Good luck! Keep it up and gald you are feeling better!

Jitterbug said...

Thank you, dearie! You've been such huge moral support for me throughout this thing... I can easily imagine how much time I'd discover in a TV-less household! The good news is that The Bachelor is over for the season, so I've got my Monday nights back. :) Well, I suppose my '40s counterpart would have lost some time every week to her favorite radio programs.