Monday, March 2, 2009

"Of cabbages--and kings--"



The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Lewis Carroll, 1872

The Saturday before last, I made the first of my 1945 dinner menus. The ordeal took me two hours of what felt like non-stop work, but I'm sure it'll take a little less time and energy both as I get more comfortable in the kitchen. The only thing I'm really disappointed about is that I completely lost my appetite the next day because I was sick and the leftovers went uneaten:

Steamed Rice
Buttered Carrots
Celery Cabbage Salad
Steamed Molasses Pudding

Mistake No. 1: My cookbook didn't have a recipe for Celery Cabbage Salad, so - envisioning a blend of chopped celery and cabbage with some sort of dressing - I picked up a bag of celery hearts and a bag of pre-shredded cabbage (they didn't have any head cabbage at the store I was shopping at that evening). As the big day drew near, I decided to try looking about online for a recipe for Celery Cabbage Salad and (wouldn't you know it!) I found a page right away on a website called Retro Food:


The hostess over at Retro Food imagined the same dish I did when she came across references to Celery Cabbage Salad. What we both didn't know was that there's actually a type of cabbage called celery cabbage, also called Napa cabbage or Chinese cabbage. She was able to find a recipe for a salad using this type of cabbage in Meta Given's Modern Family Cook Book, first published in 1942. It turns out to be just a dish of "wheel-like slices" of the cabbage drizzled with French Dressing (like our modern day Italian dressing) or Thousand Island Dressing.

Well, I was able to use the celery up in other ways, but still had a bag of cabbage to contend with. I decided to compromise by serving up a dish of shredded cabbage with a homemade French Dressing on top. It was good. Zesty! I've never made dressing from scratch before. Happily, this is something you can make a few hours in advance then refrigerate and shake up just before serving. Here's the recipe. Be careful: it makes lots of dressing. I cut this one in eighths.

*****

FRENCH DRESSING

1 clove garlic (optional)
1 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups salad oil

If using garlic, soak it in vinegar 1/2 hour before making the dressing. Mix dry ingredients together and place in a covered jar or bottle. Remove garlic from vinegar and add vinegar to dry ingredients. Pour on the oil slowly. Place in refrigerator until ready for use. Just before serving, shake vigorously for 2 minutes. Makes 3 cups dressing.

*****

The Buttered Carrots and Steamed Rice turned out really nicely. I tried to give this meal a little punch of health by making it brown basmati rice instead of white. Still, it was the first time I've ever made any rice that wasn't instant. The real thing takes a long time to be ready for the table! I've heard people rave about basmati rice and it's well deserved. It smells like buttered popcorn while you're cooking it - and tasted all buttery, too.

Mistake No. 2: I used way too big a mold for the Steamed Molasses Pudding. This was another instance where the cookbook which includes this dish on the menu doesn't actually have a recipe for it inside! (I can't figure that out.) I found lots of recipes online and chose one which was a favorite of somebody's granddad. The Pudding was good, but definitely not sweet. I bet this one was a wartime recipe. It called for a dark molasses and very little sugar. I think I'll try it next time with lighter molasses and additional sugar - oh, yes, and a smaller mold, too!


Whew! What a meal... I'm super glad that I was only cooking for an audience of one this time 'round. Especially when it wasn't ready for 30 minutes after the time I'd been planning it for. I tried to clean things up as I went along so that the kitchen wouldn't be a complete disaster by the time I served dinner. That's one of the downsides of not having a dining room. You can't leave the mess behind while you enjoy dinner in a calm, clean space.

Something I truly didn't expect was that I actually wanted to say grace. There was something unquanitifiably different about eating food that I'd worked so hard to buy and to prepare. I really wanted to take a minute and thank God for this meal. I usually feel like that if I'm eating with family, if it's the holidays - but on a regular, everyday, run-of-the-mill Saturday? Somethin' new. It was like I had a different relationship with this meal. It was harder fought, harder earned than something I'd taken out of plastic wrap and heated in the oven. All that said, though, I do recall waking up the next morning and groaning at the thought of having to cook breakfast. It's hard for me to imagine making homecooked meals for a family three times a day, seven days a week...

10 comments:

weenie_elise said...

sounds great...

would chinese cabbage be the same as wombok?

Jitterbug said...

I don't think it's quite the same. I've seen it called Suk Choy online, so it's somewhere in the same family of greens.

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Congrats on your dinner!

"I really wanted to take a minute and thank God for this meal."

I started the habit of saying a silent grace before eating several months ago. It helps remind me to be grateful for all the good things I have in my life.

Dulce Domum said...

I really enjoyed this post, Jitterbug. First, if you don't have the Meta Givens books, I can honestly recommend them, very evocative and a great invenstment for your experiment, I think. She has a series of creeds for meal planning, cooking and shopping etc, which are really wonderful.

Secondly, I too have a kitchen/diner and no formal dining room, and you're right, you just have to clear some of the mess you've made in the kitchen for a bit of peace of mind.

Thirdly, yes, when you've thought of and prepared a good meal, it makes you more ocnscious of where it all came from. This is a good thing, I think, to thank God for His gifts of simple, good foodstuffs.

prairieknitter01 said...

Congratulations on your experiment! You worked so hard, my word!

Can you stand another Steamed Molasses Pudding? This is my favorite, it's from the Philadelphia Cookbook, 1886, page 392 and it's available online at Google - you go to Google Books and the whole 1886 cookbook is available online. It's called Cousin Caroline's Pudding. It has molasses, melted butter, flour, baking soda, milk, salt - but the winning part would be the addition of wine, cinnamon, ground cloves, and grated nutmeg! Keeps fresh quite a while and very nice after work with a cup of coffee.

prairieknitter01 said...

Here is the address for the recipe, in case anyone wants to look at it, I'm sorry I don't have it coded to be a real link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2n4EAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#PPA392,M1

Roxanne said...

I, too, have problems with wanting to cook whole meals on a regular basis.

Back in December I decided to cook JUST from my pantry (I blogged about it) and I found that the MORE I did it, the more it became routine.

Just like everything else we're learning LOL!

Roxanne

Jitterbug said...

That's heartening to hear, Roxanne. I do hope routine with make this a little easier. I'm just starting to gear up for a "new" 1945 dinner this coming Saturday!

Thanks for the link to the recipe, prairieknitter. I'm all over this one the next time a Steamed Molasses Pudding pops up on my menu...

Dulce and Hairball, thank you so much for the comments. Isn't it nice when gratitude comes naturally? When you don't have to make yourself sit down and try to find something about your day, your job, etc. to be grateful for? I think I will keep an eye out for a '40s edition of one of the Meta Given's series.

Amber said...

It's funny, but when you said you felt like saying grace, it was almost as if I was sitting next to you thinking, "Yes, that would finish this meal off perfectly." Makes you truly wonder if that has something to do with why people were so much more spiritual back then. They worked hard and they were thankful for the fruits of their labor!

Jitterbug said...

I guess the closer you are to manual labor of any kind - whether it's working in a factory, harvesting a crop, or cooking dinner in a steamy, hot kitchen - there's of course something relieving just in sitting down to eat. And it's easier to feel how hard you've worked for your daily bread.