
What a night!
Potatoes Persillade (started out as Parsley Buttered Potatoes)
Canned Green Beans
Pear and Grape Salad
Corn-meal Muffins
Dinner made it to the table only about five minutes late this evening, but only because I realized after the last time that I grossly underestimate the time it takes to prep and cook things. I tried to wash things up as I went along - which works out great until the last ten minutes or so - and even had a chance to set the table this time. When I sat down earlier this afternoon to plan my preparations, I felt a bit like a military tactician plotting out the action minute-by-minute.
D-60: Wash and peel potatoes.
D-50: Start heating pot of potatoes in cold water.
D-25: Prepare corn-meal muffin batter.
D-20: Muffins in oven.
D-15: Begin preparing salad.
D-10: Start heating green beans.
D-5: Add potatoes to saucepan with melted margarine. Roll to coat with lemon juice and parsley.
Surprisingly enough, I pulled it off, and it all came together at just about the right time. Things still get pretty hairy right there at the end, though. I guess someday I'll be a wise, old housewife and a home-cooked dinner will be a piece of cake!
The Parsley Buttered Potatoes should be made with smallish potatoes. Well, small enough potatoes so that you can boil them in 40 minutes without having to cut them in pieces. The whole potatoes are easier to roll about in a saucepan to coat with garnishes. There was actually a non-budget conscious version of this recipe inside my cookbook called Potatoes Persillade. The only difference: fresh lemon juice. I happened to have a lemon in the house, so added a twist or two.
How can you go wrong with Canned Green Beans? I don't have a Corn Sticks pan, so I decided to make half a batch of Corn-meal Muffins instead. I tried to avert Next Day "Too Dry to Eat" Syndrome by freezing the leftovers right away, but check out these tips I found in a November 1945 issue of Better Homes and Gardens for just that problem. (I guess it's always been an issue for housewives!)
Second-Day Treats
Corn bread leftovers make elegant stuffing seasoned with celery and onion... Or take your choice of sage or thyme.
To serve leftover corn sticks, slice sticks in half, toast under the broiler.
Split corn bread squares, cut diagonally to make triangles, toast, and use under creamed foods.
I've saved the best for last: Pear and Grape Salad. My mouth dropped when I read the recipe for this dish the other night and I've been trying to imagine how I'd pull it off ever since:
*****
PEAR-GRAPE SALAD
Frost the curved surface of one-half pear with cream cheese, stud with one-half grapes and garnish with chicory and watercress, or other attractive greens.
*****
"How on earth would cream cheese stick to a pear?" I wondered. Well, it stuck. And the pear didn't have to be frosted all that prettily as the grape halves cover the surface anyway. I chose red seedless grapes and an Anjou pear. Couldn't find any chicory or watercress at the supermarket, so opted for a spring mix of baby greens and herbs instead. This made an absolutely darling salad! It looked like a giant raspberry resting on a bed of greens. And it was very easy to make - especially once I figured out that my melon baller came in handy for cleaning the core out of the pear. If I were to make this again, I'd definitely choose an overripe pear, so it's easy to cut through when you're trying to eat it, and 1/4 of a pear is actually enough for each person. If you were serving this to a family, you could lay the pear halves on a plate at the center of the table, then cut each one in half again before serving it to each person.
The taste was interesting. Sweet, creamy, and bitter --- but it dressed up the table so nicely. So decorative for a weekday family dinner! It made me think how the daily dinner truly was the '40s housewife's final "presentation" for the day. Her husband and children were gathered around the table for the first time since breakfast. This was her chance to show the family all the good she'd been able to do that day. An opportunity to show off her freshly laundered and ironed linens, her sparkling dishes, and food prepared even when the pantry contents were slim and she'd met shortages at the grocery. To share pickles, preserves, and canned goods prepared last summer.
8 comments:
Sounds like a lovely dinner! Hats off to you!
Just fininished reading you blog from the beginning and I love it. I feel inspired. Like you, I am also a single girl who often comes up lacking in the self-care area- partiuarly in my home, laundry and feeding of self. I think I'll try adding a thing a week.
Thanks!
Mm! Those potatos sound yummy!
The potatoes were very tangy! I'm not sure I've ever had potatoes with a lemon flavor to them before. I think I'll stick to the parsley and butter next time...
lastmango2, what a lovely compliment! I think we single gals sometimes put off the whole homemaking thing thinking that we'll pick it up when we get married. Then before you know it, you're nearing 30 (or 35 or 40) and still living like you did when you were 21. I've got a long way to go before any of this stuff starts to come naturally - and I still really have to focus on the chores I need to do each day in order to get it done - but it feels so good to kicking some of that chaos to the curb.
I have just had an 'Aha' moment while reading this post. I may be a shocking housekeeper, I live in terrible chaos (though that is diminishing thanks to your routines), but after 16 years of cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner for my family, I can throw together meals every day, based on fresh seasonal food from market or garden, and it has become second nature. I am so excited to realise that I have something to show for all those years (apart from 4 darling children, of course)! And a fabulous vegie garden.
Oh, man, I hope it becomes second nature for me someday, too! It's funny how a shift in perspective can make you realize something that was right in front of your nose, isn't it? :)
Oh, heavens! In my wildest dreams, I could not have invented that frosted pear salad! I am just...astonished. Must try it, though. Sounds pretty good to me.
Andrea
Andrea, isn't it wild! Such a fantastic thing to add to an otherwise prosaic menu. The '40s are a lil' bit crazy like that...
Post a Comment