
Just stopping in quickly with a brief post about lunchmaking...
I ran into some trouble with this mission last Friday morning. I baked a batch of Rolled Oat Muffins to include with my breakfast --- and I guess that was all the work in the kitchen I could handle in one morning. With five minutes to go, I realized I hadn't even started cooking the egg that was on my lunch menu. So threw up a white flag and grabbed one of my leftover pre-mission lunches.
New week, new strategy. I'm going to try packing as much of my lunch as possible the night before. It'll be part of my evening chores in the kitchen. Usually I just empty the sink of any pots or pans that have been soaking and make sure there's room in the dishwasher for the next morning's breakfast dishes. Now I'll add making my lunch for work the next day to that list. Of course, there will always been an item or two that needs to be assembled in the morning, but I ought to be able to get the bulk of the work out of the way the night before. That's the plan anyway! Here's the original 1945 lunch menu in the works for tomorrow:
Peanut Butter, Bacon and Lettuce Sandwiches
Cauliflowerets
Carrot Sticks
Hard-Cooked Egg
Gingerbread
Grapes
Milk
And here's the menu adapted for vegetarians and/or reducers:
Open-faced Peanut Butter and Lettuce Sandwich
on Whole Grain Bread
Cauliflowerets
Carrot Sticks
Hard-cooked Free Range Egg
Grapes
Peanut butter and lettuce? I'm not so sure about this one, but I'm up for an adventure!
12 comments:
i'd be game except i hate peanut butter.
My mother used to make us peanut butter and grated carrot sandwiches for school lunches...
Peanut butter and lettuce are good together - especially on a whole grain bread. I don't think I'd do it open faced, though. Maybe you could "fold" it into a half-sandwich. Or you could always top the peanut butter with a sliced apple or pear.
weenie, just a lettuce sandwich for you then? :)
Jo, that sounds like it might be yummy...
Tessa, I've being strategizing about how to avoid the peanut-butter-stuck-to-the-roof-of-my-mouth thing, too. Actually, I think they intend for the lettuce to top the peanut butter.
Peanut butter goes with nearly anything: Lettuce, pickles (no, I'm not pregnant), cheese, carrot, banana, honey, apple. I even ate a peanut butter and liverwurst sandwich once, out of desperation. It was much better than it sounds (not unlike peanut butter and bacon, I imagine).
Mmmm . . . oatmeal muffins. I have a good recipes for those somewhere. I should make some.
Interesting. Love to know how that tastes? I saw the peanut butter and pickle sandwich in my version of your cookbook. I just couldn't bring myself to try it though. I can't wait to hear how your lunches go. =)
lpm
I like P.B and bacon . It is said Elvis liked P.B. and bananas sandwiches.
I just wanted to say I enjoy your blog, and looking at your profile, we have alot of the same intersts. I'd love it if you'd visit my blog sometime. kiddeys1.blogspot.com
-Amanda
Latter-Day, I'm happy to report that peanut butter and lettuce was actually a good combination. (And a good thing, as it's on the menu for today's lunch, too!) The Rolled Oat Muffins were fabulous... I'll have to post the recipe.
lpm, there are some WACKY-sounding sandwich recipes in that cookbook, aren't there? The thing that freaks me out is when they suggest "thinning" out your peanut butter with cream. My arteries are screaming.
Mrs Tailleur, mmmm... peanut butter and banana.
Thank you, Amanda. I'll be sure to visit! :)
Blech! PB and bacon?! Even if I wasn't a vegetarin I wouldn't like that! PB and carrots are actually pretty good together--I had a psyc teacher who used to eat them and I finally tried it in class one day. Very good combo.
PB and pickles (or liverwurst) is mostly salty, but there is that little bit of PB sweetness/roasty-ness and the pickle bite that's nice together. I always use good dill pickles. Can't speak to PB with sweet pickles since I think it's a culinary sin to combine sugar and vegetables . . .
I'm gonna have to try that combo... I've been dill pickle-crazy this summer!
Post a Comment