Speaking of broken things, my ancient alarm clock-radio stopped functioning on Friday night. You know the type. Great big digital numbers and push button controls. There's no
time to waste when an alarm clock has bitten the dust, so it was off to Target - and I soon found myself coveting this lovely little double-bell alarm clock with a vintage feel to it. Why not add a timepiece with some '40s flair to my bedroom? Without another thought, I popped it in my cart and smiled like the Cheshire Cat at home last night as I carefully set the time and wound the alarm hand to a position shortly after 5:00. (That walk takes place pretty early on the weekends!)So it seems I forgot something.
Not only is a double-bell alarm clock loud enough to jar you into consciousness in one second flat, but there is no snooze button!!! Egad. Imagine living in a world where you didn't have the luxury of nine more minutes of sleep. Without a snooze button, you don't have the option of nestling back into your pillow "for just a few more minutes." The day has begun, like it or not. Turn the alarm off to get that terrible jangling bell out of your ears --- and relax at your peril.
On the other hand, not having a snooze button for a crutch might have some real benefits. I could put that extra nine minutes - or 18, 27, or, well, 36 minutes on truly desperate mornings - to some very good use with all these exercises and chores and vintage grooming habits in the a.m. Isn't it funny how a simple little thing like an alarm clock can remind us of something in the past so fundamental to daily life?
9 comments:
Oooh!! I saw that alarm clock and was debating getting it!
Don't overdo it Ms. Jitterbug. Ease into that routine. =)
lpm
I have my alarm clock across the room so I can't hit the snooze. I would never get up otherwise :)
i think I snoozed for 43 minutes this morning...
but i think it would be better for me if I just got up
I have this clock and it is loud. I put it on the dresser so I will get up.My hubby sets a clock radio it goes of softly to NPR and I could sleep right threw (usually dreaming about the news.)
keep up the good work but don't over do it.
Sorry, but life is better with a radio alarm clock. One of those ringer types would give me a heart attack five days a week. I can't wake up that suddenly and be in anything better than a werewolf-esque mood for the rest of the day.
Set it to the oldies station if it makes you feel more vintage, right?
lpm, thank you for the word of caution... There's still something a little wack about my insides, so I'm doing only non-abdominal exercises today.
Amanda, I know what you mean. My alarm clock always has to be at least two steps away from my pillow.
weenie, maybe you snoozed a little extra on my behalf! :)
Mrs Tailleur and Latter-Day, I sleep thru the radio, too. Even with a regular alarm clock, I have to have it set to the buzzer. The double-bell may be LOUD, but it's like ripping off a band-aid. I'm instantly awake. (We've got thin walls in these apartments. Don't want the neighbors to have to hear it, too!)
Hope you feel better soon! Yes, back off a little.
Cute clock, but loud enough to wake the neighbors. (My son *had* one.)
Take care, Jitterbug!!
Thank you, both! My abs finally started feeling strong enough to get back to my normal exercises on Tuesday evening, so I guess I'm okay. I'll take any increase in reps much more slowly next time.
Post a Comment