Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Circle the Wagons!

Clear breakfast dishes from table to tray or tea wagon.

Before we turn from the dining room or breakfast nook to the kitchen sink, I just want to mention the tea wagon suggested for aiding the housewife in clearing the table. Here's an alternative to the all-purpose tray - and, boy, I bet you could fit a whole lot more on one of these babies! While I was looking about online for pictures of vintage tea wagons, I realized that they've been called all kinds of things over the years: tea trolleys, tea carts, cocktail trolleys, bar carts. They always make me think of the beverage carts that stewardesses push up and down the airplane aisle. "Coffee? Soda? Snack?"

According to one antique dealer in London, Ontario, tea wagons were all the rage from the 1920s to the '40s. A tea wagon in the dining room could also be used as a sort of sideboard during the meal. Here are some of the most fetching '40s tea wagons I've seen in my travels today, from the traditional...


to high Art Deco...


No comments: