Saturday, December 6, 2008

Week's End

Leftover French Toast reheats surprisingly well. Not in the microwave, of course. I heated up some margarine in a fry pan and was able to get the Toast nice and crispy again. The leftovers are now all eaten up, so I'll be heading back into the Breakfast Test Lab tomorrow morning. For now, though, my dishes are rinsed and stacked inside the dishwasher, I've got two pans soaking in the sink, and I'm sipping a cup of hot coffee while I try and store up the energy I'll need to get out there with the Christmas crowds and do some shopping.

It's been an interesting week. I've had to come up with a solution to my dishwasher dilemma which forces me to think ahead each evening as to whether the dishwasher has room for the next morning's dishes, whether it needs to be run, whether it needs to be emptied of clean dishes... I'm also beginning to really feel the effects of being a night owl. It didn't matter very much when my only objective in the morning was to roll out of bed at the last possible minute and get ready for work. With chores in the bedroom, breakfast to prepare, and chores in the kitchen, I have to get up earlier. Now if I could just convince the night owl side of me to go to bed earlier. The sleep deprivation is really starting to get to me. I've been yawning all week and actually had to take a nap yesterday evening because I couldn't keep my eyes open for another minute. Even now, I'm tired - and I've only been up for an hour. The '40s housewife in there just has to get some beauty sleep!

I've worked my way through about 1/4 of the breakfast menus in the back of my 1945 cookbook, so there are lots of menus still to master. I'm going to take a look at the next few this morning and make sure my grocery list is in order. Time to fly! I'll be back later to post next week's mission.

No comments: