Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dorothy Dix Says...



Dorothy Dix's column on February 17, 1949 featured a short, but sweet letter from a delegation. In a world where divorce still carried great social stigma, their question was of vital import to young women with marriage on the mind.

Dear Miss Dix: How can a girl tell whether or not a man will make a good husband?

TWO GIRLS.

Answer - Unless she is a seer with second sight and has the gift of prophecy, there is no way by which a girl can absolutely foretell what sort of husband a man will make. She has to take his word for it that he will be as good a lover after marriage as he is before, and that he will never criticize her cooking, or ask her whether that thing she has on her head is a hat or last year’s bird’s nest.

But while picking out a husband is always more or less of a guessing game, there are certain signs and portents that will give a girl a few good tips on what sort of husband a man will make. For instance, the bad risks are: Mama’s baby boy, the man with a Yale lock on his pocketbook, the gourmet who thinks he knows how to cook, the man who passes into silence if he can’t have the floor, or else breaks up the party with his monologues. And, most of all, beware of the man who begins bossing you even before the marriage.

12 comments:

Kori said...

This is too cute and holds true today! LOL. Have a great night honey! KORI XOXO

Packrat said...

Absolutely!

Me said...

Jitterbug,

Just a note to say how much I am impressed by you and all you have accomplished. Kudos to you!

I also wanted to ask how much time you spend on your blog posts each evening. I know that they can take a lot of time.

Little Black Car said...

And, sorry, but the man who is always broke, and the man who never takes responsibility.

I don't ask that they be rich, I just ask that they manage what they have. Likewise, guys who always have somebody or something else to blame are bad news.

I've got a good one right now. I don't know yet if he's the right good one for me, but he'll be a good one for somebody even if we don't work out.

Packrat said...

Latter-Day Flapper is right. Also, add one that spends too recklessly or always has some wild scheme going or isn't dependable. We could go on forever! LOL

Betsy said...

The problem we women have is that even if we see any of these signs beforehand, we always think we'll be able to change them once we've got'em hooked! Ms. Dix answered well this time.

Anastasia Schembri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anastasia Schembri said...

Ms. Dix knows her stuff!
And I agree with Gingerella, sometimes the signs are there but we think that we can make them different after we are married! (By the way, they are on their best behaviour before they are married, if you can imagine).Ladies we can change a lot of things (our hair colour, our jobs, our minds, etc..) but trying to change another human being (in many instances of these fellows, I use the term 'human being' loosely) into what we think is the perfect spouse or partner will always be a losing battle.
And yes, I am happily married! (LOL!)

Witchcrafted Life said...

Timelessly sagely advice indeed. I've long felt that one of the best indicators of a man's character is how he treats his mother. This point often gives you a real portal into how he's likely to treat other "major female players" in his life (like his future wife).

Wishing you a splendid Friday & weekend ahead, dear!
♥ Jessica

Jitterbug said...

We women are such Ms. Fix-its! You'd think we'd learn at some point that the only one who can change a person is him/herself. I guess we women like a challenge.

Ms. Dix could've used some of these suggestions... I agree, the guy who blames everything that's wrong on everybody else, the wild schemers, the man who doesn't treat his mother and sisters like gold... I'd add the guy who's an eternal pessimist. Who could live with that for 50 years?

Zebu, I don't have the time or energy to post every night. I did back in the beginning when my chores were few and I wasn't exercising. Usually, these days, I'll pick away at writing a post while I'm doing chores of one sort or another. Until I get a good flow of words, that is!

Me said...

That makes sense--Working on chores in between writing your thoughts/posts can be a good time to think about what you want to write. I get some of my best thoughts on life while walking, mowing, etc.

Jitterbug said...

Driving sometimes does that for me --- though that seems a little dangerous!