Monday, January 25, 2010

Savings



Savings (other than life insurance) - 10 per cent of income


Moving from expenses to savings, the authors of The Manual take an interesting tack when it comes to the kinds of things that qualify as "savings." I'd never really thought of it like this before, but they count payments on the principal of your mortgage as savings. Makes sense. Unlike us schlups in Apartment Land, you homeowners are building equity every time you make a mortgage payment - at least with a portion of that check! Here's a rundown of the other things considered savings:

Another column of your tentative budget lists savings and investments. Figures for payments on property (exclusive of interest), annuities, endowment policies, life insurance, stocks and bonds, deposits in the savings bank and your reward fund are entered in this column.

Well, I don't own any real property. I'm also not building any kind of annuity or endowment policy, but - as a state employee - $151.72 is deducted from my paycheck every two weeks ($303.44 per month) and deposited in a state retirement account. That money is mine should I leave the state's employ at any time, so I guess we could consider that an annuity of sorts. Life insurance will be considered in my next post. I don't purchase any stocks or bonds. During the past month, I've transferred a total of $187.50 from my checking to my savings account. My total savings during the past month then are $490.94 or 13% of my gross monthly income of $3666.67. Good news! Though I doubt my savings would be quite this healthy if that retirement contribution wasn't whisked away without my even seeing it, I'm toeing the 10% mark set forth in the "pattern" budget.

Some families whose incomes boast a small surplus, or who can "manage" to reserve a few dollars over and above expenses, like to build up a separate bank account as an emergency reserve or "balance wheel." This account should never be drawn upon for minor emergencies or to make up deficits. Authorities recommend that $500-$1000 be built up and maintained in this account.

There are various types of savings accounts described by the authors of The Manual. The first is your basic emergency reserve. $500-$1,000 may not sound like much, but in today's dollars it's actually more like $5,921-$11,841. Wow! My emergency reserve only totals $500 - and I was darn proud of having put that aside for the first time in my life! The figure recommended by vintage "authorities" is closer to the "three to six months' expenses" often cited by financial experts today. I'm falling far short of the mark of a healthy savings in this respect. I built that small emergency reserve by transferring $25 each pay period ($50 per month) into that account and stopped when I reached goal. It sounds like I'd best go back to doing that. Pronto.

One dollar a week seems a minimum amount to save, and as income increases one should save up to one dollar in every ten dollars earned or more; these savings should go part into life insurance and part into the "balance wheel" account.

$4 per month in 1945 dollars = $47 today. So $50 sounds like a reasonable contribution on a monthly basis toward building a more healthy emergency reserve.

Another type of savings account described by the authors of The Manual is a reward fund - or a fund designated with specific expenditures in mind:

The reward can be big or little, ranging from a new set of dishes to a car or a house. You may decide to make a five-year plan or a one-month plan, depending on the goal. The important thing is that a reward is in view. This reward should be of interest to the whole family, of course, and a council should be called to decide on something that the majority are eager to have.

Get the family together and list everything that everybody wants: the clothing items each one needs; new equipment for kitchen and laundry and tools for work bench or garden or garage; household furnishings for living room, dining room and bedroom, whether repair of old or purchase of new; a rug, a picture or a musical instrument; and then personal needs - for games at home and sports outside, for recreation, for arts and crafts, for reading, music, plays and movies. Of high importance are books, magazines and lectures that will aid father in his vocation and mother in her homemaking. When the lists are made, discuss them in a breezy family round table and choose the most important items to try and secure month by month for next year. Many will have to be deferred, but why miss the thrill of thinking that we will have it too! Such goals are good for family ambition. Some things desired can be made at home; free books and magazines are awaiting us at libraries, free lectures and music are available for the asking or the arranging of a committee to provide them which we might help establish. Once the goal is established, set the date for achievement, and plan to put aside a certain sum each week or month until the reward is won.

Now you are ready to construct the rest of your spending plan, in order to find the ways and means to save the reward fund. You may find so many small "leaks" after a month or so of budgeting that the reward fund will accumulate more rapidly than you had hoped.

My reward fund started out as a relocation fund. I hated feeling trapped in this town and wanted to build enough in a savings account so that moving "home" would actually be an option for me one day. These days, relocation is not a priority. To be frank, I have a hard time imagining living 3,000 miles away from my darling Kitten and Poppet. For any reason. So the relocation fund has become the money I'm planning on spending to feather my nest this year. To buy some new furnishings, a new mattress and boxspring, maybe do a little decorating. I've managed to sock $2,256.76 away over the past nine months. (Funny - I guess I started building that account just about the time I started my vintage fitness and reducing plan. I hadn't realized that!) Next up: Life Insurance.

12 comments:

50sgal said...

That's great. Have you considered putting that savings towards a down payment on a home or condo? I wondered, as I know you mention how inexpensive rents are in your town, is real estate, as well, less expensive. Perhaps you would, in the end, be happier to feather you won nest one day and live with empty rooms unfurnished but that are yours, all yours. Just curious. Many people look differently at home ownership and was curious of your take on it. And it sounds as if you have no intention to come back to 'my parts of the country' (you did mention you were from New England, didn't you?)We may need your advice next month when we start our 1950s diet and exercise month.

Packrat said...

I haven't even read your post yet, but will...

My brothers and I used to have those little pirate chest banks! I wonder what ever happened to them???

Packrat said...

Okay, I read your post. Good advice. Another hint: save your change - even pennies. You will be amazed how fast it accumulates.

I sent you an email. The subject line says "from Packrat".

Little Black Car said...

I have a certain amount each month automatically transferred from checking to savings (in two increments), which totals just about 10% of my annual income. I don't have to think about it, it nixes any temptations to cheat and skimp on what I contribute to savings, and it's easy to transfer funds when my CD matures (the CD gets a much better interest rate than the savings account, although of course the money is locked in. Well, usually it does; interest rates in general are pbbbt right now). If I could afford it, I'd transfer more. I don't own anything of significance and don't make enough to buy a home, but I'll need a newer car at some point--or the one I have will need work as it ages.

I also contribute to TIAA-CREF through my job, which my employer matches.

And I save my pocket change. I leave a few quarters since they're often useful in a pinch, but the rest goes in a jar and is considered "spent" until I have enough to bother rolling them and depositing them back at the bank.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, there is some sound advice on these recent posts.

My husband and I are moving home soon, which involves a change in our finances as a result. It is quite timely that you post on savings, when we are about to be in a position to start having some.

Thanks,

Helen

Jitterbug said...

It does seem a luxury these days to be able to debate what to save and where to save it, doesn't it? We are truly lucky. I can remember vividly an extended period of time when I didn't have anything left after barebones expenses...

50s gal, I have given that a great deal of thought. Unfortunately, my credit suffered during my illness in my late 20s so it's going to take some time to "heal." A mortgage with a decent interest rate is probably a few more years off for me! In the meantime, I will definitely make any furnishing purchases with an eye toward things I'll be able to move into that condo or house at some point. Things that are built to last.

More later!

weenie_elise said...

yep, saving all your coins is great... we have a college fund for our as yet unborn children - lol... just don't try to raid it every time you want pizza or you won't get very far

Jitterbug said...

Packrat, did you and your brothers ever have to break open your pirate chests --- maybe that's what happened to them! (I'll check my email.)

Latter-Day, I have a small amount automatically transferred every month, then I bump that up with additional transfers every pay period. My expenses are so variable, it's hard to know how much I'm definitely going to be able to save each time. You gotta love online banking, though! Makes saving easy.

Helen, hope it comes in handy! It is awfully nice to have something "left over" to debate what to do with... :)

weenie, my laundromat eats all my spare quarters! I usually spend my silver change --- and save the pennies in a jar. Around the holidays there's always some sort of penny charity I can add them to.

Packrat said...

The chests had little padlocks and keys. The key was the same for my diary URG. LOL So, no, I didn't break mine open.

Betsy said...

Boy, savings is something we're dreadfully lacking. I have $20 each paycheck ($40/month) transferred automatically to a savings account but that's not much. It's my goal for 2010 to bump that up as much as I can without it hurting the bill paying.

Jitterbug said...

Packrat, your brothers could've broken into your diary if they wanted to? Talk about living life on the edge... Did they ever figure that out? :)

Gingerella, that $40 per month is a great place to start. And we've all got to start somewhere. I started this week moving that $25 per pay period back into my emergency fund again so I can try and double that, at least.

Packrat said...

Not that I know of... ;0