Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shelter



Rent (if heat is included) - *25 per cent of income


Rent (if heat must be supplied) - *20 per cent of income


(If you are buying your home, or already own it, the "rent" is the total of interest on mortgage, taxes, interest, upkeep and repairs which should not ordinarily exceed 1/8 to 1/10 of income. If payments on principal are included it may reach 1/4 to 1/5 of income.)


*Provided that in your community it is possible to provide safe shelter for your family for this amount.

One of the things I really like about The Manual's budget advice when it comes to rent/mortgage is how inclusive it is. Their attitude seems almost modern - it's so green. And yet in that day it was just considered good old fashioned logic. Gathered in with all the other things you might normally consider housing-related costs is "Transportation to Business." Take a look:

Shelter
1. Rent or Mortgage Interest
2. Taxes
3. Insurance
4. Improvements
5. Repairs
6. Transportation to Business
7. Other

When deciding whether what we're spending on our rent or mortgage is in a financially healthy proportion to our income, we must take into account how much where we live impacts what it costs us to get to our place of business. After all, if you think you're saving money on housing in a metropolitan area by living far out in the suburbs and commuting one hour each way every working day, isn't it fair to include the costs related to that two-hour commute with the money you spend on housing? Only then can you get a true picture of what you're spending on shelter. If you had opted for more expensive housing in the city but your "transportation to business" expenses were the cost of a subway token, you might find things come out quite even in the end. Financially, that is. (Your carbon footprint is another picture entirely.)

I rent what my landlord calls a junior one-bedroom apartment for $425 per month. My rent does not include heat, but it does include water and garbage collection --- though not recycling collection. (There are some advantages to living in a dump of a city. Cheap apartments is one of 'em!) I don't now - but ought to - have renter's insurance. If I did, the premium would fall into this category.

For "transportation to business" expenses, I'm going to include gas and parking. As crazy as it sounds to have to pay for parking at your place of business, the university I work for requires that employees pay for annual parking passes in their garage or lot of preference. (I bristle at this sometimes, but I know it makes good environmental sense. They're trying to encourage as wide a use as possible of public transit and other means of transportation to campus.) I pay $29.42 per month for parking. I drive a 12.76-mile round trip to work each weekday. That's 255.2 miles per month x my 2001 Toyota Corolla is supposed to get about 26 miles per gallon with city driving x $2.53 per gallon for gas (running price around town this morning) = $24.83 per month for gas to commute to work. These are very rough figures, of course, but they should give me some idea to start with what I'm spending on shelter. I'd probably own a car whether or not I used it to commute to work or not, so I'm not going to include any other car expenses in this category.

My total spending per month for shelter then is approximately $479.25. That's 13% of my gross monthly income of $3666.67. I fall quite safely within The Manual's recommendation that no more than 20% of your income should be spent on rent "if heat must be supplied." So far, so good!

In addition to kind of guessing where I stand now in relation to the The Manual's "pattern" household budget, I'd like to track all my expenses - at least for the next month - to see if there are any leaks in my spending that I'm completely unaware of. I've uploaded images of the Suggested Budget Form included in The Manual that I'll be using to record my expenses every day. Maybe it'll come in handy for some of you as well! If you click on each page, you should be able to open an extra large printable version. Tomorrow: Clothes.

12 comments:

A said...

A sound budget is the perfect way to start the new year out right

Joanne Kennedy said...

Wow! Good thing you don't live here in So. CA. You could never find a place for the rent you pay. No matter what city you lived in. Most one bedrooms go for around $1200 or more where I live. Those are not even the fancy places.

I think I need to move out of state. I've always heard that CA is way over priced. I think you just proved its true.

Even gas is about $2.83 at the lowest price I've seen in the past few days.

Can't wait to see what the rest of the budget shows us.

Hugs,
Joanne

Packrat said...

Good advice. For working moms and single dads with small children, add to this list child care expenses. One must also take into consideration the environment (such as safety), proximity of good schools, access to health care and shopping. (I say this, but until my son was in the fourth grade we lived a minimum of 45 miles from the nearest doctor!)

Little Black Car said...

I'm housesitting for my parents and my rent still exceeds the recommended percentage (I make considerably less than you do, though). But I couldn't rent my own place in a safe neighborhood for the same amount, so I'm staying put for now. There are other, non-monetary advantages to this arrangement, anyway. Houston is cheap as far as large cities go, but it's not that cheap.

50sgal said...

I love the budgets in those books, they are lovely.Yes, you could most likely not find even a closte here for 425 a month and where I lived in the city, we had a one bedroom that was more than 4 times that amount ( I am much more frugal now and wonder at my old self). What is interesting, is hubby and I were talking the other day about a writer we know of who is able to work from home, he moved from his modest manhattan apartemen to literally a mansion on acerage in OHIO and still can work from home. Though I consider myself a New Englander and would also love to live in Europe again, the thought of a large home and acerage for the cost of a small apt in our cities does sound tempting!

Me said...

Jitterbug,

As I pop in and out of like-minded blogs, I have visited yours from time to time over the year. My summary is that you have lost a lot of weight, given yourself and stuck to a pretty rigid cleaning schedule, make time to decorate, AND you work full time. Is this somewhat accurate? I am in awe. I haven’t visited enough to know all of the ins and outs, but it seems as if you are ever busy. Do you get worn out with chores in the morning, a full day’s work, and then chore’s and dinner after work? I seem to get drug out and have the determination drained right out of me. Please do share how you feel that you are able to accomplish all that you do and still have a good attitude. Do have time to invest in yourself and your interests?

Mrs Tailleur said...

Well after work today I had to order flowers,mail letters,and to pick up office supplies for work. So while I was picking up their supplies I picked up a few thinks for my cart too. I got nice new pencils and a new record book.( I would call it a ledger book but ledger books were 29.99 and 34.00 so I got a 7 dollar record book not really much difference except cost) I am ready to start 2010 with better bookkeeping

loismunger said...

"living in a dump of a city" Hi Jitterbug. I love reading your blog and am really impressed with all you have accomplished. I was pretty sure I live in the same city you do but might be wrong given your last post. I don't know if you want me to mention where I live so I won't. Lois

Jitterbug said...

Yes, I do feel grateful for the cost of living in this area. Of course, I assume that salaries probably are proportionally lower here than they would be in pricier areas like Southern CA, metro Boston, or Manhattan!

Packrat, childcare definitely needs to be taken into consideration when working out whether or not it actually "pays" to have a job outside the home.

Latter-Day, I agree - and so did the authors of The Manual. Safe shelter is critical. The only places really safe in this city are gated communities, but at least my apartment complex (which isn't gated) is fairly quiet. No loud partiers right now. Of course, there was that day I came home from the supermarket to find a SWAT team breaking down the door of the apartment diagonally opposite mine... :(

Zebu, a wonderful question! I'll have to post a separate comment on this in a few.

Mrs Tailleur, don't nice new pencils make it all feel much more fun!

Jitterbug said...

Zebu, now that I actually have some energy this morning, I'll try and answer your question... I guess I view both my diet/fitness regimen and my housekeeping routine as a job. Not a job I'll have forever. I mean - I'll always have to exercise and prepare nutritious meal, I'll always have to keep house, but aspects of these things have become absorbed into my life over the last year and become almost natural to me. Like my morning and evening chores. The basic daily stuff. My exercises. I don't feel right going to bed at night without having certain basic things done. There are other chores that I still have to push myself to get through, but I think in time they'll seem second nature, too. And then the whole thing won't feel like such a job and won't take as much time. (That's the plan, anyway!)

So - no - I haven't had the time to commit to many other outside interests or hobbies. My diet has been my major hobby for awhile now. But as far as I'm concerned that's a matter of life and death. Fixing my blood pressure problem. Creating a strong, fit body I can actually get around in. I may be able to pick up some other hobbies again when I've finished losing weight and moved into maintenance road, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Flexibility is key when it comes to my weekly chores. That's the only way I can spend any time with family or friends, move my chores around from one night to the next. Maximize my time on the weekends. As I get more skilled at these chores, they take a little less time. And when I'm sick or crazy busy at work (like this week) or the holidays bring a ton of social activities, I allow myself a little slack, making sure the minimum gets done. Like any good housewife, right?

Lois, thanks for your lovely comment! I actually prefer having some anonymity when it comes to my name, where I live, etc. It's the only thing that allows me to be as frank about my life as I have been... :)

Me said...

Oh, thank you so much for your thorough answer. You have great determination, and I applaud you on your success! You are a wonderful example of stick-to-itiveness. Blessings to you.

Jitterbug said...

Well, I'm not perfect, but I feel proud of what I've accomplished. Still so much to learn! No time like a new year... :)