
I can definitely see what a treat a favorite soap opera or two would have been to a 1940s housekeeper. It's easy to imagine a woman working extra hard to get a task done in time to sit down to listen to her favorite soap - maybe with a fresh pot of coffee or a friend. Wondering how a cliffhanger would be resolved could keep the mind occupied while doing monotonous work.
Housekeeping in shoes bites!!! Whether you're in a housedress or street clothes, there's no getting around the fact that 1940s housekeepers most assuredly wore shoes around the house. It's all I can do to keep from kicking them off and going barefoot or wearing slippers. And they aren't even heels --- as we see in ads. Just flats. In those days of door-to-door salesmen and neighbors that popped by unannounced, a woman had to be ready to greet the public at any moment. Oy.
After chalking "The Great Housekeeping Experiment" up to failure, I felt inspired again last spring and started looking around for a housekeeping manual designed for women with a war job, perhaps - a routine that might be useful for a woman like myself in 2008 who works outside the home 40 hours per week. I didn't have any luck, but I did find another manual published in 1945 and decided to pick and choose between the two routines to try and put something together that worked for me. I also decided to start slow. Pick up one new step every week and try to build something lasting. Habits that would at last bring some blessed order to my household. Would it be possible to get to a place where I actually enjoyed housework? Where cooking and cleaning were not the torture they've always been?
I read the chapter in my housekeeping manual on laundry and the instructions were soooooo detailed. There were different procedures for every possible kind of cloth --- and we have so many more kinds of manmade cloth today! I usually just cram my whites/lights in one load and my darks in the other load. I'd try sorting mine by type to see how long it would take me to save up a load, but I'd run out of clothes first! My laundry experience today is much quicker and easier than it was in yesteryear, but I doubt my clothes last as long (or smell as fresh coming out of a hot dryer as they would on the line).
Thank goodness for fitted bed sheets!!!!! They didn't have 'em yet when this housekeeping manual was written in 1945. Just for experiment's sake, I decided to follow the manual's step-by-step instructions for making a bed. They only had flat sheets to work with, so the bottom sheet had to be fitted to the bed with hospital ("mitered") corners on all four corners. It'd be a lot of work to keep those corners in place every day!
The experiment failed this time, too, though I managed to keep it up and running - a piece at a time - for almost three months. I had a midsummer houseguest and the break in my routine just threw everything out of place...
There are a couple things that keep nudging me in this direction. As a historian, I'm always thinking about the present in relation to the past. I'm interested in every era, but I think 1930s and '40s America have a lot to offer us here in 2008 - in a country facing recession (and quite possibly depression) and in a country at war. I wouldn't go back for anything other than a visit, mind you! There's plenty about the past that's ugly and repressive, but I do think it has a lot to offer us.
1 comment:
It's January, 2010 and I just found your blog. It's delightful! I love the 30's and 40's and think that it comes from my mother who grew up in those years. She enjoys sharing stories and I enjoy listening. :-) I have some 1930's and 40's dress patterns that would make you smile. Just what the perfect housewife of the 30's and 40's desired to make life perfect. :-)
Post a Comment