Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wife, Mother, Waitress

Prepare and serve breakfast.

There's more than just one chore here and, if I were a '40s housewife, I would most likely have spent most of my time at breakfast serving the meal to my family. Getting up and down from the table to pour another cup of coffee for Jim, plate up a couple more hot griddlecakes for young John, and find the strawberry jam for Patty so she'll eat something. I'm feeling guilty even as I write this - remembering my own mother in the kitchen at breakfast time when we were small. She worked pretty hard to get a warm meal in all of us before we left the house.

As a single woman, I have the luxury of sitting down myself when I've finished making breakfast and eating it. In one sitting!



Did you ever see the movie A Christmas Story (1983)? Ralphie (as the narrator) delivers one of the film's most memorable lines when he describes his mother's useless attempt to sit down and eat her own dinner in the evenings:

"My mother had not had a hot meal for herself in fifteen years."

2 comments:

atomicliving said...

I love this movie and it is one of the things I look forward to at xmas time. The stove in that scene I found another version of that same stove on ebay and bought it! I am going to have it installed in my new kitchen redo which will really be a timemachine redo including (if I can convince myself to waste the electricity) my new (old) 1950s fridge.

Jitterbug said...

I'm in love with Mrs. Parker's enamel-top kitchen table and matching chairs. Maybe I'll have a set of my own someday.