Mr. and Mrs. Amberg are having the Millers over for cocktails and dinner, and then they're off for a dance at the country club. Probably more of a fantasy for the average American housewife than a reality. Unless they had hired help, the Ambergs would have had dinner dishes to clean up after and kids to get off to bed. They would only occasionally be able to afford an evening out. I suspect these pictures were actually taken over a series of days than being "a day in the life," otherwise Mrs. Amberg's changed her clothing six times in one day!

Jane Amberg, housewife & mother, prepares for dinner party by carrying roast beef platter to dining table she has carefully set w. colorful place mats, silver candlesticks and silver center piece w. flowers & a bottle of Chianti as her guests finished cocktails in living room.
Hostess housewife Jane Amberg (C) chatting w. her dinner guests Mr. Bert Miller & wife, as her husband Gilbert stands behind her, carving a roast beef to be served at table set w. place mats, candlesticks & a bottle of Chianti, at their home.
Jane Amberg dancing w. husband Gilbert (3L) amidst other couples at their country club formal dance.
Jane Amberg mending a pair of socks as she lounges in bedroom while listening to her favorite jazz records during her "leisure" hours (time w/o kids) at home.
4 comments:
Well, she may have dressed for dinner and dancing, which would explain her dress with dinner and then dancing being different, but I do doubt she would spend her mending time in the middle of teh afternoon in an evening dress and evening/dancing shoes, which she is obvioulsy wearing while mending those socks. There were so many comfortable day shoes (wedgy sandals or lace up left overs from 30's style) that I doubt she would have tettered around in home alone doing chores in THOSE shoes. Great pics, love your blog.
Bizarrely enough, I think those satiny heels are actually the glamour house slippers you see in vintage magazines. There are always ads for these ridiculously uncomfortable looking slippers which are being sold for the bedroom! The garment Mrs. Amberg's wearing in that picture is also in the picture taken while she's having breakfast with her husband, so I'm thinking it's some sort of house dress or a light summer robe. Maybe she sat down to do some mending after seeing her husband off to work - and before the kids got up. Or maybe she changed into the robe and slippers at bedtime and did her mending.
I love the bag with her monogram!
I think actually most people did have evenings like this most weekends. They did invite people over for dinner then go out. You may be right about everybody not going to the country club, but they did entertain a lot more than we do now.
Oh, I forgot! They would have had a neighborhood teenager to clean up and get the kids to bed. I had standing babysitting jobs for many couples. It was fine to leave the kids with even a young teenager (15ish at night, younger during the day) and she would have been competent and expected to be able to clean up. No nannies then.
Post a Comment