I just finished a scrumptious '40s breakfast (for real, this time!) and am sitting down to enjoy my coffee with the 1941 Thanksgiving episode of the Jell-O Program with Jack Benny. I've got to get back to the kitchen soon and begin work on my contributions to a Thanksgiving potluck - I'm in charge of appetizers this year - but I've still got a few minutes. Here's the menu I chose from my 1945 cookbook:
Grapefruit Juice
Omelet
Toast, Dried Fruit Jam
Coffee
Was ruby red grapefruit juice available at your typical grocery in the 1940s? I know canned grapefruit juice was out there, but I suspect it was made from white grapefruits. I couldn't find any white grapefruit juice at the nearest Trader Joe's last night, but I did pick up some ruby red.
There were lots of recipes for omelets in my cookbook --- and two recipes alone just for the Plain Omelet. One was a Puffy Omelet - egg white beaten separately until stiff and then folded into beaten egg yolks. The other was a French Omelet - eggs beaten only until mixed. I opted for the French Omelet and tried to stick strictly to the directions. And it turned out great! Yummy free-range eggs, salt, pepper, and melted "fat" (margarine for me) - all fried up in a small pan 'til golden and folded in half.
Adaptation:
The only thing strange about this menu was that there weren't any recipes for Dried Fruit Jam inside the cookbook! Did they just presume that anybody using the cookbook would have committed this recipe to memory years ago? I found some recipes online for Dried Apricot Jam, but most of them instruct you to soak the fruit for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours before starting the jam. I didn't even look at the menu until last night - and didn't want to end up with a bowl of undersoaked apricots in the a.m. - so I passed on the Dried Fruit Jam and spread strawberry preserves on my toast instead.
2 comments:
you know, i've never been able to make a good omelette... perhaps i need to bone up on my recipes..
I was so surprised it turned out good that I just inhaled it! What a nice surprise after the pancake fiasco. One thing the recipe instructed which was different from what I normally do was to add a portion of the margarine I was melting in the fry pan directly to the (lightly) beaten eggs before pouring them into the pan.
Actually, what probably made the difference for me was just NOT using non-fat cooking spray!
Post a Comment