Friday, November 21, 2008

Week's End



Week One is nearing an end and I've successfully completed my mission every morning to date. I'm not suprised at anything here... These tasks only take a few minutes out of my day. But the experiment will get harder. Every week. I'm going to spend the first few weeks building a morning routine, then begin adding chores to my evenings. I threw in the towel last spring right around the time I got to the heavy duty cleaning, so tough times are in store! In the meantime, I'll savor these sweet, simple tasks for the time being and try to build up the endurance I'll need when the going gets tough.

I should mention - by way of explanation - what I'm doing to keep the rest of the house running while beginning this experiment. My modus operandi is to do everything else just as I'd normally do it. The laundry gets done when I've run out of underwear. The dishwasher gets emptied as I need the clean dishes - one meal at a time. It's complete and utter chaos out there! But my bad habits aren't going to change overnight. One step at a time...

The rooms where we sleep should be kept immaculately clean, sweet and fresh at all times.

Here again, a well-trained family can help with the care. If each one carries soiled clothing to the hamper or clothes-chute, hangs up other clothing... before breakfast, the sum total of saved time really amounts to something for the homemaker or servant.

What kinds of clothing do you suppose a '40s housewife was hanging up before leaving her bedroom in the morning? I guess they must have been the clothes she or her husband took off before going to bed last night. Suit jackets or cardigans, perhaps, the kinds of items that didn't require washing every time they were worn. If she changed into a housedress before fixing breakfast, she might have had a robe to hang up.

Maybe she's had a terrible time choosing an outfit to wear today and half her wardrobe is draped over one chair or another!

I've had a morning like that myself every once in awhile.

2 comments:

atomicliving said...

She would definitely not have the AMOUNT of wardrobe we have now. There were no marshalls or burlington coat factories for her and in fact alot of what she would wear may come from her own sewing machine as it was cheaper to make your own back then, tho now it often is MORE expensive, but that's thanks to China and it's ill-treatment of it's people. I wonder if the econmy continues to fail and if China were to suddenly dissapear from our imports, would the higher cost of things require us all to have a little home ec? in our lives. I mean, we'd have no choice, right? It is strange to think of our ease and affordable items being bought at the cost of other peoples labor and toil.

Jitterbug said...

Her closets would probably have been much more spartan than ours - unless she had a wealthy husband. So, yes, lots less to look after in that regard. She probably would have put much more time and energy into stain removal and mending to make her family's clothing last.