Another little thrill this past week has been the success I had with a recipe called Graham Gems. Imagine all the goodness of home-baked biscuits with the added heartiness of whole grains. To die for... The recipe starts out with a basic Baking Powder Biscuit dough, only you substitute one cup graham flour for one cup sifted flour.
***************************************
BAKING POWDER BISCUITS
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold shortening
2/3 cup cold milk
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and cut in shortening with 2 knives or a pastry blender. Add milk and mix quickly. Knead for a few seconds on a lightly floured board...
****************************************
You could stop there, pop 'em in the oven, and they'd be perfect. But the recipe for Graham Gems actually calls for a little more creativity. I didn't have 8 to 10 custard cups on hand, so I used a muffin tin and they turned out fine. I guess they're supposed to look a little like gemstones --- maybe if you squint your eyes. Like I said, though, you could just cut them with a biscuit cutter and bake at the same temperature and they'd be just as delicious. Super easy, too. I made these on a work morning.
****************************************
GRAHAM GEMS - Roll dough 1/3 inch thick... and cut into 2-inch strips. Place 4 strips one on top of the other. Cut into pieces 1 3/4 inches long. Place each of these sections upright in buttered custard cup. Bake in hot oven (425 degrees F.) 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Makes 8 to 10.
****************************************
It's been nearly two weeks since I added some limbering and stretching exercises to my morning routine, so it's high time I gave them a little attention in my blog. I do the first exercise before I get out of bed. In fact, I'm usually still partly asleep. My legs most certainly do not go over my head, but it really works the abdominal muscles just raising the legs until they're perpendicular to the body - then lowering them:
1. Before you get out of bed in the morning, do this routine five times: stretch body out with arms out at sides. Lift both legs simultaneously as high as you can, even, if you can, over your head; then down again, slowly.
I do the next several exercises while I'm sipping my morning glass of water and am still in my nightclothes. None of these next exercises really instructs you as to an exact number of reps, so I've been doing five of each. No. 2 opens up the ribcage and probably works the abs as well when done slowly and carefully:
2. Here is a good stretching exercise that helps to develop the bust and improves the posture and figure generally: Stand with feet slightly apart, arms down at sides. Stretch arms in front up and over the head slowly as far as you can, without straining, then slowly return to original position. Repeat this several times.
I haven't quite felt No. 3 working anything more than my waist as yet, but I'm open to some improvement in the hips!
3. To improve hips and waist and improve general line of figure: (A) Stand with feet slightly apart, abdomen in, seat well down, fingers interlaced and raised high over head, arms making a frame for the face. Keep face framed by arms throughout exercise, and body absolutely steady from waist down. (B) Swing forward till body and arms are horizontal. Swing body round to right side and travel upwards till arms are over head once more. (C) Turn to the left and swing the body round and down till body and arms are once again horizontal, as in B.
No. 4 makes me yawn. In a good way. I do feel more awake after doing this exercise:
4. The first exercise is for the purpose of air washing the lungs and keeping the chest in form: Stand erect, feet fairly far apart; clasp your hands behind your neck. Force the head and elbows back, inhale through the nostrils, expel the air through the lips. Breathe in as the head goes back; exhale as you return to first position.
You gotta love deep knee bends! All of the advice I've heard by fitness experts in my own lifetime comes back to me now in bits and pieces. In the '80s, my sisters and I would work out in the basement to a Jane Fonda record of our mom's. ("Bridge over Troubled Waters" was the cool-down track.) By the '90s, step aerobics were all the rage and I remember working out with Denise Austin on TV and ordering her step and weights set on QVC. Jane and Denise alike cautioned women at home to be sure the legs were positioned far enough apart and the knees slightly bent before doing exercises like this one:
5. This for keeping waist, thighs and hips slender. Stand tall, hands on hips. Lift on your toes, let the knees spread, lower your body until you are in a squatting position, buttocks resting on the heels. Rise slowly.
Allow plenty of space when doing this exercise or your liable to hit something with your arms! The last few words are great advice. The more conscious you are of the movements you're making, the better you're probably working the muscles. If you zip thru the motions, you may not get all the benefits of doing fewer reps more slowly.
6. Wig-wagging exercise for keeping bust and arms normal: Stand tall, lift the hands high and far back. Swing the hips from one side to the other, stretching the arms full length, keeping fingers and thumbs spread. Use your muscles. Be conscious of them. Mere movements don’t mean a thing. It must be a real workout.
I'm not sure if it's the humidity or the limbering-and-stretching or the smaller portions at dinner, but something's working. I weighed in this morning at 183! According to my scale, that's 4 lbs. lost in the last 6 days. HIP HIP HOORAY!!! I thought I'd celebrate with this wonderful series of photos from a 1940 LIFE magazine pictorial on reducing salons. (And I thought Bally's didn't look like fun.)





13 comments:
Oh, I'll be trying that recipe! Thanks! Also congrats on the progress! Finally, I loved those pics of the "reducing" salons. I think I'd like to have my thighs and butt worked on by one of those contraptions before heading out in my Esther Williams bathing suit :)
Muchas gracias! It feels tremendous to have hit the double digits... Wouldn't it be great if you could just stand there and let the machines take off the pounds for you? The pictures remind me of the exercise scenes in "The Women."
Congrats on the weight loss! One of these pics popped up on a search for my blog and was horrified! The things us girls do to lose a few pounds. I wish it was as easy as enduring torture on a crzy contraption.
Thanks, Amanda! The coils on those machines worry me --- didn't they ever catch on flesh on pinch? There doesn't seem to be any padding between the machine and the person. :o
Congratulations on the weight loss! And, thank you for the recipe. I'll try to remember to get some graham flour the next time I'm in "town".
You may have seen this post on 50’s gal’s blog, but just in case you didn’t, I posted it here for you.
One more thought, and this one’s for you Jitter Bug: How in the world did you turn yourself into a morning person! I have found your post and am going back through reading this inspiring project that you doing. I believe that you mentioned that you are typically a night person but have had to change that. PLEASE tell me how! LOL! For as long as I can ever remember, I am just better at night. I am more productive, I can plan wonderful meals, my creativity is at is pinnacle at night, I have the energy at night and on and on. How have you been able to accomplish changing? I have been berated while growing up because I slept in and stayed up late. My dad was berated for the same thing. My brother, the same, and my SON—you guessed it, THE SAME THING. His doctor basically told him that “We live in a day world and unfortunately, you have to make yourself fit in.” Since the world does not want to seem to change to the night owl schedule, fill us in on the trade secrets that you have learned and most importantly, HOW HARD WAS IT! I would be forever grateful to you for ANY advice you could give. I go to bed with great intentions, but that morning comes, and I feel the dread of having to do my hair (I have a lot of hair that takes some doing), I have to do my make-up, I have to get dressed, etc. It all gets so overwhelming to me.
**NOTE** The reason that this is so very important to me is that I too have to work full time, just as you. I too have a home to keep, just as you. I NEED to make it work. Please help!!! (She screams with much drama hoping-hoping for any little tid-bits or morsels of sage advice).
Thanks for letting me rant and ramble! ;)
Packrat, thank you so much! I'm not sure if your supermarket carries it, but Bob's Red Mill carries a graham flour in its line of products.
Zebu, what a great question --- thanks for asking, because it forced me to stop and think about the issue. I wouldn't say that my night owl habits have been fixed yet. Instead, I'm probably getting by on a lot less sleep than I used to. It's not an ideal state of things, but I find with the TV unplugged that I'm quite naturally going to sleep a little earlier than I used to. Nights are quieter, longer almost. I'd like to be spending less time on the computer. That, too, may help me get to bed earlier in the evening.
As for mornings, that's a change in habits that's only come very slowly. (I've been plugging away at this since November!) Each week, one new task that needed to be accomplished on top of the others --- and my competitive, perfectionist nature took it from there.
It helps, too, that molding my lifestyle into more of a routine (instead of a giant free-for-all) builds a sense of excitement in the morning. If I can't snack on anything other than fruit after dinner, there's a sense of real hunger when I wake up - and looking forward to new breakfast recipes, variations on the omelet, etc. If I haven't heard much in the way of news since the evening news, then there's a sense of anticipation about turning on the radio in the morning!
It's strange... I guess I'd been living before like I dreamed of living when I was a child wanting to "grow up." No limits, no boundaries. I could do anything I wanted at any hour of the day: stay up late, eat pizza at midnight if I wanted, sleep late. All those things I craved as a kid --- well, I had the license to do them, but they didn't do me any favors in return.
I'm still struggling to find a good balance between work/housework/play - it's going to take some time, I think, to get it right. You'll find a way for yourself, too!!! Keep us posted and let us know how it's going!
Oh my gosh those vintage exercise machines made the best toys for me when I was growing up and visiting my grandmother's house. What did they do besides shake the crap out of you? :)
Oh, I am excited about that recipe. I have five pounds of graham flower just waiting for that. I do love making biscuits, as well. What fun exercise photos. Have you ever tried the old jack lalane workouts. He has a site with all his old 1950s shows, I think I linked to it a long time ago on one of my blogs. Although, that is 1950s not 1940s, but you aren't limiting yourself to just the 40's so it might be worth a look
Jitterbug,
Thank you for writing back and for your advice. :) I wish you continued luck and success in a project, which looks to have been quite successful so far!
Blessings to you. :)
Bonjour Madame, wow - your grandmother had some of those machines at home?!?
50s gal, I'm so glad you'll be able to use up that graham flour! Thanks for the tip on Jack LaLanne.
Thanks ,for the recipe can't wait to try it.I love to make biscuits I use a recipe I got off of "good eats"
I made corn bread biscuits one time (aunt Bea Taylor's recipe)They turned out very dry. I plan to try it again.
I have graham flour waiting to be used. thanks!
What? One of Aunt Bee's recipes a dud???
Post a Comment