
Brush all the nighttime tangles from hair, and comb carefully into place, pinning securely.
One of the gifts my mom and dad gave me last Christmas was a lovely vintage dresser set. A brush, comb, and mirror with gold-tone handles and a burgundy moire-type panel set into the back of the brush and mirror. They were still in the box they'd been sold in and, to all appearances, had never been used. Well, I decided it was time to break 'em out this week in honor of my latest grooming mission. What luxury to use a brush with nylon bristles! I haven't spent all that much time in the hairstyling aisles, but it seems like all the brushes today have either those har
d plastic bristles - with the knobby ends that often break off - or boar bristles.Here's an article from the January 22, 1940 edition of St. Petersburg, Florida's Evening Independent. Didn't think there was a technique for hairbrushing? Leave it to the beauty experts of this era.... There's a technique for everything! The article promotes hairbrushing as a nightly ritual, but there's no reason why the same techniques wouldn't come in handy when setting your hair in the morning.
The smartest coiffures at the moment absolutely demand healthy, shiny hair which shows the excellent results of meticulous grooming. Whether you have retained your long bob, are wearing your hair up in front and down in back, or really quite short all over the head with soft curls or a roll in the nape of the neck, your coiffure won't be completely flattering or manageable unless you brush it at least five times a week.
If your present hair brush is indeed a sorry sight, by all means invest in a new one. Choose a brush with long, flexible bristles and a handle which fits your hand...
Hold your brush lightly in one hand, lean forward, relaxing your body as you do so, then place the bristles against your scalp at the hairline and continue on out to the ends of the hair. Let the bristles become embedded in your locks. Don't simply brush the surface, neglecting scalp and hair underneath.
When you straighten up, brush upward from nape of the neck to ends of the hair. In other words, don't stop brushing until the scalp is tingling and every hair has been brushed and polished. Repeat five nights a week and, within three months, you'll notice an enormous difference in the texture of your hair and the ease with which the waves and curls fall back into place after the brushing.
If you have dandruff or your hair is too oily or too dry, supplement the brushing routines with weekly scalp treatments. There are special tonics designed to correct scalp ailments. Brushing is most important, however. It's the great cure-all.
4 comments:
So lucky for you to have a beautiful set like that. I have my grandmothers silver set and love it. My great Aunt use to say brush your hair 100 strokes every night before going to bed. Maybe I too will start a new routine.
Do you have an email for your blog friends as 50's gal does? I have an old beauty book that shows hair styles and how to accomplish them. I could scan a few and send them along to you. The pin curl look is hair curled with the fingers and bobbie pinned in an x with two bobbie pins. My mom did this alot but works if hair is short.
I love the idea of a dresser set. The idea of brushing your hair before going to bed sounds relaxing. It is very retro. I'm tempted to try it myself
My Great Gran had the exact set you have pictures, witht he rouched fabric and embroidered flowers in the centre. I can still remember her brushing my hair as a little girl with them.
It is such a shame my Grandad got rid of everything after she passed, but in those days (late 70's) nobody wanted it. Can you believe it!
You are inspiring me to start treating my hair better, I'm already gointo try and am looking forward to attempting the pageboy boy with pin curls.
Jeanne, what a wonderful reminder of your grandmother! I have many memories of my grandmother's vanity. My sisters and I would sit on the bench and use each of the brushes and combs as we looked into the mirror --- probably even peeked into Grammie's drawers to see what treasures she was hiding inside. What I wouldn't give to have that vanity now!
I think I'll set up a special email address just for my blog friends. Great idea! I'll add the address to my profile as soon as I get it up and running.
Amanda, let us know how it works for your hair! The article makes it sound as tho brushing can make a real difference for the better.
Joanne, such a neat coincidence!!! Keep us posted on your pin curl experience.
Post a Comment