Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Meal Plan



Raise your hand if you know how easy it is to make homemade Scalloped Potatoes...

Scalloped Potatoes
Buttered Beets
Carrot Strips
Baked Apple Stuffed with Dates

I was completely caught off-guard when I started preparing my vintage dinner last Sunday evening. I thought Scalloped Potatoes would be one of the tougher potato recipes in my cookbook. Wrong! It's one of the few potato dishes that don't involve having to boil or even parboil the potatoes beforehand. It took me maybe 15 minutes from start to finish, then the oven did the rest of the work. My mom's a wonderful cook, but the only Scalloped Potatoes we ever ate were the rubbery kind that came in a box.

And I think I've discovered the trick to Beets. Boil them in as large a pot as you can find in your cupboard. A five- or six-quart Dutch oven should do the job. Make sure you've got a lid for the pot that fits tightly and don't boil them at too high a temperature. If I don't do any one of these things, I'll end up with pink water stains all over my stovetop! The Baked Apple Stuffed with Dates was quite good, too. But what I love most about it was that I was able to make it in a single serving size. No leftover sweets hanging about this week.

********************************************

SCALLOPED POTATOES

6 medium-sized potatoes [I cut this recipe in thirds.]
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
Milk

Pare raw potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Place in a baking dish a layer of the potato one inch deep, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle a portion of the flour over each layer, add a part of the butter in bits. Repeat and continue until required amount is used. It is best not to have more than two or three layers because of difficulty in cooking. Add milk until it can be seen between the slices of potato, cover and bake (350-400 degrees F.) until potatoes are tender with a fork (1 - 1 1/2 hours). Remove the cover during the last fifteen minutes to brown the top. Serve from the baking-dish.

********************************************

My transition to healthier snacks (fruits or veggies plus protein) is going pretty well. I'm measuring out the proper serving sizes for now, but hoping to be able just to eyeball them soon.

Hummus = 2 tablespoons
Low-fat Organic Cottage Cheese = 1/2 cup
Almonds = 25 nuts (This seems a bit much. I could probably do just fine with half that or less.)

The only thing that really frustrates me is that I keep forgetting to pack a snack so I can get that late afternoon pick-me-up while I'm still at work instead of being ravenous when I get home at 5:30. I've got to try and remember this tomorrow. Pack both lunch and snack. I'd rather eat a snack at 3:30 or so and not be in such a rush to eat something as soon as I get home.

One of the things I'm rapidly discovering about reducing is how important planning can be. A couple weeks ago, a friend asked me to lunch. I accepted - and then remembered my rule of thumb: "No eating anything I haven't purchased at the grocery store." Well, I did promise myself some exceptions for social occasions, but I had to do some planning so I could enjoy the experience without feeling guilty. I added 30 extra minutes to my walk the day before so I wouldn't miss out on my workout. And I also suggested we hit a restaurant where I knew I could get a yummy salad. This Friday, I'm meeting up with a group for drinks after work. I rarely drink sodas, so I think a diet soda would be treat enough for me. I may not be home 'til late, so maybe I'll check the menu ahead of time and find out if there's something resembling healthy which I might be able to consider dinner.

Here's an example of poor planning. I had promised to babysit my nieces one evening after work. It's tough to cook anything there for yourself with a toddler and baby to mind, so - without even thinking - I figured I'd "pick something up" on the way to their house. That afternoon, I suddenly remembered my then-new rule of thumb. Eek! What would I do? Well, I ended up stopping at a sub shop to pick up a veggie sandwich. It could've been worse, but it could've been better. Next time, I'll pack a dinner from home - something I can heat up quickly.

I'll wrap up this post - which somehow became entirely about food! - with a dilemma facing me for this weekend's vintage dinner. The salad course is a Molded Salad of Cranberry Sauce (canned), Chopped Celery and Apples. I never make molded salads as gelatin is an animal by-product, but do any of you know if it would be possible to mold something using the jellied cranberry sauce that's sold in the can? It certainly starts out molded... I was wondering if it'd be possible to fold the celery and apples into the jelly, then form it into some sort of shape. Any advice?

10 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

I thought jello was made out of something different now. I know it used to be made from animals but I thought for sure it was change not to long ago.

Anyway...I am not 100% sure of the cranberry sauce but I do make a jello salad where it uses the jelled cranberry sauce. But it has to be melted with water and the jello then it jells back up when it gets cold.

So maybe you could just heat up the cranberry sauce until it's liquid and then try to mix the stuff and put it back in to get cold.

Would be worth a try.

Joanne

Joanne Kennedy said...

OMG! I just did some research and found out that you are SO right about jello! YUCK! I won't be eating jello again....ever!

Not that I was a big jello eater any way but still....

Also found out that jelly is made with all that yucky stuff too! Did you know that?

Darn, I love to make homemade jam and jellies. I didn't even know what I put in had dead animals. OMG!!!!

Hugs,
Joanne

Sweetie B. said...

2 tips...

after i discovered roasting beets, i never boiled them again. Wrap your dry (even dirty) beets in aluminum foil, shiny side in. Bake for 1 hour under medium low heat, in a shallow baking pan. Let cool. They will peel easily, will not stain your hands and do not make any mess.

Agar-agar. Or kanten. Its Japanese algae gelatin. Its firmer than the animal based product, does not need to be refrigerated and well... is not animal based.

xoxo

Jitterbug said...

Joanne, don't throw away your Smuckers yet!!! You must have seen the term "jelly" in the sense that people outside the U.S. use it to refer to gelatin. The preserves-type jelly is made using fruit juice and sugar - and sometimes pectin and a whole listful of preservatives and dyes. Jam is made with fruit and sugar. (Which reminds me, I must post about the Jelly Omelet I tried making last week.)

It may be worth a shot to try heating the jellied cranberry sauce up adding the celery and apples, then pouring it all into the mold and refrigerating. It could work...

sweetie Bird, the roasted beets sound divine. I've been trying to make my way through a month o' menus I found in the back of a 1945 cookbook, so am sticking as closely as possible to the vegetable dishes they suggest. Apparently, they didn't give much consideration to roasting veggies in that era. Boiling, baking, frying, deep-frying --- but no roasting! I wonder if they considered that a kind of campfire cookery or something suitable for pioneers living on the frontier.

Thanks for mentioning agar and kanten. I've heard of the former, but never tried working with it myself. This may be just the opportunity!

weenie_elise said...

you can make jelly out of sea weed agar

and yes... scalloped potatoes are ridiculously easy... if you want even easier omit the butter and flour and just go with the milk... or a bit of cream if you're felling lush

Shay said...

Have you tried making your own hummus? Use ONE tablespoon of sesame oil and two or three of low-fat yogurt instead of the quarter cup or so of tahini. It is of course not as unctuous as the real thing but it is awfully good and there's a lot less fat.

Jitterbug said...

Homemade hummus?!? I'd never even thought of it. It would be nice to be able to make it extra chunky. (Love those chickpeas!)

Joanne Kennedy said...

Glad I came back to read your message to me. I make home made jelly and didn't think I was using anything bad but I read about the jello and it also said jellies and jams and I got scared!

You my dear are a book of knowledge. I just love your blog.

Hugs
Joanne

Jitterbug said...

I'm glad you came back, too! Hey, I'm so happy when I can pass on any little bit of trivia --- I'm learning so much from my readers.

Little Black Car said...

Check around for alternate hummus recipes--I've never made it with that much tahini, and it's so absurdly easy that there is no point in buying it pre-made. I hate cleaning blender parts so I just mash it by hand (blender is faster, though, if you don't mind washing it.)

If you're looking for low-fat vegan snacks, I'd also like to suggest Texas caviar. Don't worry--it's just marinated black-eyed peas. (When I make it, I use 1-2 ribs diced celery for extra crunch; the zest of 1 lime; and the juice of said lime in place of most of the vinegar.) You don't even have to make the dressing separately: Just dump everything in a bowl, mix well, and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Fabulous with either Fritos or baked pita chips.