Ruth Berolzheimer, author of The American Woman's Cook Book (1945), applauded thrifty housewives for their creative use of leftovers and recognized how critical this was when you were "cooking for two." This was particularly important during the war when women's work in the kitchen took on a fire and urgency like never before... It was unpatriotic not to use every last bit of the food you'd purchased or grown! But leftovers had to be combined carefully. Men, women, and children heading off to the war plant or to volunteer work of some kind needed nutritious, well-balanced meals and dishes that tempted the tastebuds.
And so in the month-of-menus in the back of this cookbook, you find lots of examples of ways to incorporate leftovers - and planned leftovers - into new meals. When Steamed Rice is on the dinner menu one night, the reader is instructed to prepare extra rice for the next day's Spanish Rice at lunch. The water in which prunes have been stewed for breakfast one morning is chilled and served as juice two days later with a squeeze of lemon. Leftover Corn-meal Mush is refrigerated, then sliced, sauteed and served for lunch the next day with Cheese Sauce. "Scraps" of leftover vegetables are served in a cream sauce in Buttered Noodle Nests at the lunch table.
Berolzheimer's favorite things to do with leftovers are a bit more dramatic. Practically anything could be mixed with a white sauce and some potato or egg and fashioned into a croquette. Little bits of this or that could be popped on skewers and slid under the broiler. Bell peppers, acorn squash, and tomatoes were perfect for stuffing with mixed leftovers.
Wartime episodes of "The Great Gildersleeve" are peppered with ads for Kraft's Pabst-ett --- melt it into a cheese sauce and turn leftover vegetables into a meal "your whole family will love." You could even entertain company with leftovers if you did a nifty thing like pressing Kraft Dinner into a ring mold then serving with creamed bits of this or that in the center. (Garnish with sliced tomatoes.)
I almost became a coyote's leftovers the day before yesterday! I got home about 8:00 from my morning walk at the park, pulled into a space between two cars in the parking lot of my apartment complex, locked my car, turned around and a coyote was standing right in front of me, blocking me in. "This is so not a dog," I said to myself. It wasn't baring its teeth or growling or anything --- I don't know what I'd have done if it had! I really didn't have time to be afraid. Just started shouting - "Get away! Get away!" - and shaking my baseball cap at it. It trotted a little ways away and I started walking very deliberately towards the stairwell up to my apartment. By the time I'd reached the bottom step, the coyote had trotted right after me. So I started shouting at it again. It trotted on into the courtyard while I booked it up the steps, dashed into my apartment, and barricaded the door! (Like that would've helped.) I looked down into the courtyard from my bedroom window and could see the coyote sniffing around looking for it's next meal.
Now if that isn't motivation to lose some weight! I must have looked a tempting morsel. Who needs to chase the Roadrunner when a plump little Jitterbug is handy?
4 comments:
(beep beep!)
Oh my goodness I laughed so hard at the coyote story. When I was at university I freaked out about a raccoon being under the car next to mine late one night when I needed to run to the store for project supplies. One of my closest friends (who is utterly terrified of raccoons and possums) came to the rescue with a huge flashlight and something to smack it with if it came near us (because those animals will only come towards you unafraid if they are sick). Wild animals can intimidate even the toughest people!
As for the leftovers, bravo! That's how DH and I keep our food bill from being over the top crazy. We love to eat a lot of fresh foods, and it can sometimes get pricey. But we remind ourselves that one meal made makes 2-3 meals for us, because we eat old fashioned portions. You can get really creative if you try.
Also, prepping and freezing food ahead of time can help. The other day I whipped up a batch of pasta/pizza sauce from a can of tomato paste and froze ice cubes of it for later use. Those can be defrosted and used in pasta, on pizza, and on fish or chicken. Simplifies my time later on!
I'm all for left overs too. However, I don't like to eat the same thing the next day so I will freeze my left overs for another night. If you have several different things stored in the freezer you can come home and heat them up and in no time have a nice home cooked meal. Sort of your own frozen dinners.
Hugs,
Joanne
Joanne, I'm right there with you when it comes to eating the same thing two days in a row! I usually keep things at least a day before I touch them again.
Kalee, glad to give you such a good laugh! I'm definitely noticing that I'm fixing a "new meal" much less often than I was even a month ago.
Post a Comment