Monday, June 15, 2009

7+1=8

In the immortal words of Gabriel Heatter, "There's good news, tonight!" I've finally found the edge of that plateau. When I stepped on the scale this morning, I weighed in at 186. That's eight pounds. Eight hard-won pounds.

I'm eating the first of my portion-controlled suppers - complete with a serving of yellow carrots, spinach, and cannellini (courtesy of Green Giant) - and I'm off to the rec center in a few, but I wanted to make a quick post and share the good news with my dear readers.

Here's my question for the day... I had my hair cut over the weekend with a 1940s interpretation of the pageboy in mind. Something like the hairstyle in the picture below. Can any of you talented divas give me any advice on pulling off a style like this one?

17 comments:

50sgal said...

curlers, damp hair, hair gel rolled under to just above your years. Brush out dry with your fingers in the curls shape and a barrett on one side to hold up and back the front. For more unvintage technique but same look, you could use hot rollers on dry hair for 15 min or so. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss!

Jeanne said...

WOO HOO !! congratulations so glad the hard work is paying off. I am so glad you did not give up. Great hair choice I bet it looks fabulous. I agree with 50s Gal on the prep to get the style.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Good for you! I'm hoping to see some progress soon.

Rebecca Liceaga - Los Angeles Makeup Artist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Liceaga - Los Angeles Makeup Artist said...

After you take out your wet set, hot roller set or even if you just use a curling iron (for this style I would use a 1 and 1/2 inch barrel iron, curling under) you should then create a deep side part.

I would either use a barrette as mentioned in one of the earlier comments, or bobby pins holding the smoother in an "x" so that they stay all day.

For the other side of the hair, I might suggest a little back-combing to get a little volume if you don't have a lot of fullness at the roots, and secure the back brushed part while "pushing" the section slightly forward to get the small bump like in the picture.

Congrats on getting one step closer to your goal and your new 'do sounds super cute!

Angel said...

I'll leave you a link to the tutorial I've seen when I get on my home computer.

Teru said...

For staying power, do pin curls. You can buy setting lotion at places like Sally's beauty supply or any "ethnic" hair supply place (I use Lotta Body). This is one seems a bit odd to me, but it's probably pretty authentic:
http://www.vintagebybuttons.com/hairdo/hairdo.htm
The Vintage Hair community on Livejournal is great for this too. Here's a tutorial from there using hot sticks:
http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/147809.html#cutid1
When in doubt, there's Turudich's "1940s Hairstyles" :http://beguiling.us/eljay/1940sHairstyles.pdf

If you do use a curling iron, pin each curl up until it has completely cooled before doing any brushout. It will last much longer that way

prairieknitter01 said...

Please, somebody actually try doing the hairstyle and post how long it took to fix! It would take me two hours because I'm just bad at hair.

Joanne said...

Hi - I Love your blog!
Congrats on the 8lb weight loss - I wish I had the staying power, but the chocolates keep calling my name!
I use heated rollers when I want do do my hair like this - I use the larges ones in the set and place them in largish sections.
I then cove4r in hair spray and leave on to go completely cold whilst I do other stuff (housework etc). It does need forward planning and a little prayer in case it looks too puffy when the rollers come out so allow an hour or so before you go out.
Take the rollers out and ensure that the curls hold in place - hairspray again then brush through with a paddle brush, teasing the ends under.
The a comb hairclip to pull the sides back and hold in position.
Hope this helps x

Darla: Retro Ways said...

Yay for hair cuts! Pin curl your hair, when you take your hair out in the morning brush it out from underneath starting with the back and then brushing out the sides a little bit. Then practice practice and you will get it hun! ♥

These blogs have great tips on hair stlyes: http://beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com/

&

http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/

Angel said...

http://strawberrykoi.blogspot.com/2009/03/hair-inspiration-classic-pageboy_17.html

Here's the link I promised you. It's done using pin curls... which is easy enough.

Jitterbug said...

I realized after a valiant attempt at a pageboy this morning that my hair probably needs about 1 or 2 more inches in length in order to do it right. Nevertheless, I did manage to find - deep in the recesses of my bathroom cabinet - a curling iron (1 1/2-inch) and some hairspray. And I was able to put together something that vaguely resembled the hairstyle on the woman in the picture! The curl on one side stayed really nicely all day. The curl on the other didn't take.

I feel so stupid asking this question, but what do you use to make pin curls?

Jitterbug said...

I've just finished checking out the links and there are some wonderful looking tutorials out there! I tend to freeze like a deer in headlights when I look at hairstyling directions, but I'm determined to give this a go. (Though the weekend would admittedly be a better time to practice.)

klaranovak said...

Congrats on the weight loss! See, all that hard work is paying off. :)

When I try to do '40s hairstyles, this book really helps me out: http://www.amazon.com/1940s-Hairstyles-Daniela-Turudich/dp/1930064012

It's basically a step-by-step guide for '40s styles, really descritptive and detailed.

As for pin curls, I'm horrible at them, but I use bobby pins to hold the curls in place.

Roxanne said...

Congratulations! Perseverence is one of the keys. The other is less calories as you've pointed out!

My mom would "set" her hair once a week. She was so good at pincurls that she did her hair, sans mirror, while watching the 11:00 news.

I never learned, though, as that wasn't the "style" when I was a teenager.

Do we ever get to see a picture of your hair?

Packrat said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

Jitterbug said...

Thanks for the recommendation, klaranovak!

Roxanne, your mother must have spent many years curling her hair... I'd love to start adding pictures to my blog, but it'll have to wait until I can buy a new camera.

Packrat, you're a gem. :)