Friday, October 30, 2009

Back to the Basics: The Evening Edition



For the past week, I've been paying special attention to my morning housekeeping routine. No excuses, no corner cutting. Running right through my list of tasks and checking them off one by one. And I've been successful --- except for the juice glass I forgot to rinse and pop in the dishwasher before I left the house yesterday. It feels great to get my mornings back in proper order.

I think it's time now to get back to the basics when it comes to my evening housekeeping routine. It's not a lengthy routine, by any means, but these two items make such a difference. It's fantastic to wake up to a tidy house every day!

Make sure there is room in dishwasher for tomorrow's breakfast dishes. Wash any pots or pans that have been soaking in sink.

Put living room in order.


So let's try this again. For the next seven days, I'm going to be absolutely rigid when it comes to my evening chores - as well as my morning chores. No ifs, ands, or buts.

5 comments:

JacquiG said...

How long does it usually take you to complete your morning routine?

Packrat said...

Re: the picture. Why we women are so anxious to get married and/or move out of our parents' house is beyond me. lol

Getting up to a clean or at least picked up/straightened up house makes one day go some much smoother. Good for you for getting back on schedule. NOW, point me in the right direction. :)

Sharon said...

Hi! I just found your blog and spent the last 3 days reading the whole thing!

Congrats on keeping up with such an interesting experiment!

I;m having all my girlfriends read it too!

You are an inspiration!

Little Black Car said...

Surely nobody actually expected a new bride to wash her own reception dishes?? ;-)

I need to make a weekend to-do list. I never have enough time in the mornings or evenings to get everything done that I need to.

Jitterbug said...

Jacran Cottage, that's a tough question to answer as my morning housekeeping is done in bits and pieces around all the other things I do to get ready for the day. I'll pull all the covers down on the bed and let it air while I do my exercises and roll up my hair in the morning. If I'm making something for breakfast like poached eggs or biscuits, I'll get them started then go do something else while they simmer or bake. That said, if I just did the tasks on that list and nothing more, they'd probably take me 30 minutes - and that includes eating my breakfast!

Packrat, it does help to start with a semi-clean slate. Even if the living room needs a cleaning, it helps just to have it tidy and know you don't have to clear a path to the front door in the morning. :)

Shar, you're so sweet!!! Thanks for sharing the link with your friends. The last month has been a bumpy one, but it's been an incredible year.

Latter-Day, I'll bet they were talking about all the dishes that bride would have to look forward to in 50 years of marriage!