I weighed in at 150 this morning which means I've lost 44 lbs. since beginning this vintage reducing and fitness routine in April! 1 more lb. and I can officially visit a doctor's office without the nurse having to move that slide on the scale up a whole 'nother notch. You know the slide I'm talking about? That great divide between weighing 100 something and 150 something - or 200 something, for that matter. (Been there!) My mini-goal of 145 is just 5 lbs. away now, so I'm upping the ante. I've got to make it by November 7.
My breakfast this morning is clearly not going to be contributing! The Butterscotch Biscuits were tres delicieux, but not the kind of treat to be enjoyed on a regular basis. These biscuits just melt in your mouth --- which is never a good thing for a reducer! I'm packing the rest of this batch into the freezer as soon as they're fully cooled. They were fairly easy to make. Took me about 20 minutes - and only 10 minutes to bake. Start by mixing up a batch of Baking Powder Biscuits dough. Here's where things get interesting:
**************************************************
BUTTERSCOTCH - Roll dough to a rectangular sheet and brush with softened butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and roll up like a jelly roll. Cut into 1-inch slices and place cut side down on greased baking sheet or in greased muffin pan.
**************************************************

So I had my first date in six years on Thursday evening. And lived to tell the tale! I thought I might perish from nerves about 15 minutes before I left the house. My first instinct was to eat something sinful, but I ate a banana instead and it did the trick. As soon as I met the guy and could see how nervous he seemed, it calmed me down. One of us had to be relaxed, right? We met for a cup of coffee at this restaurant which serves dessert only. (No dessert for me, thanks!) The emailer was more handsome than he looked in in his pictures. Tall and slim with a pianist's fingers. He was soft spoken with a careful, deliberate way of talking. But still... very little interest it seems in actually getting to know more about me. He's never even asked me the easy questions. You know, the kind of stuff you'd ask a new co-worker or somebody you just met at a cocktail party. Instead he showed me all the apps on his iPhone. Yep. His iPhone. Is that the 21st century equivalent of showing a potential mate what you've been able to club and drag back to the cave?
I'm not sure what happens next. I shook his hand good-bye and told him I'd had a nice time. He didn't suggest seeing each other again and neither did I. (I didn't suggest that he call on my mother, either!) I'd be open to a second date, but he hasn't emailed me since Thursday evening. And I haven't a clue what he thought of me. Couldn't even hazard a guess. He was very guarded. Perhaps I'd better reach for my New American Etiquette (1941). What kind of advice on "dating" does Lily Haxworth Wallace have to offer this week?
No girl or young woman should ever visit, upon his invitation alone, the home of a man who lives with female relatives. Before she can go, she must have an invitation from one of the ladies.
One of the most troublesome questions that has arisen because of the modern freedom of relations between the sexes is whether or not a girl or young woman may visit a man in his apartment alone.
The answer is almost invariably "No" but there can be many circumstances that make it seem proper. A girl from a small town, on a visit to the city, might call upon and have dinner with a man from her home town. Where is the harm in that? A bride-to-be would certainly be in no danger if she visited her fiance in his rooms? Dozens of other similar examples could be given.
According to the rigid rules of etiquette, it must not be done. There are many conservatives who would severely disapprove and certainly Mrs. Grundy can be expected to take full advantage of any such "goings on." According to the same rules of proper living, it would seem that whether it is right or wrong depends entirely upon the girl. When a girl considers going alone to the man's apartment, she should ask herself just one question:
"Would I do this if I knew my mother, Mrs. Grundy, and everyone I know sees me enter?"
If the answer to that question is "Yes," where can the harm be? If the answer is "No," the visit had better not be made.
It is even considered improper for two or three girls to visit in a man's rooms unless an older woman - a chaperon - is present.
Neither can one girl with another young couple make the visit with any more propriety than she could alone.
At any party given by a bachelor in his apartment, older persons, who will serve the purpose of chaperons, should always be present.
It is perfectly all right, however, for two girls to take tea with a college man in his rooms.
If you are willing to make the visit and thus dare Mrs. Grundy, make it a point to leave early. Do not remain after nine o'clock or, at the very latest, ten. If you go during the day, do not stay long. Mrs. Grundy only needs to have a man and woman together for one minute to tell some dreadful tales. Three or four hours might keep her busy for a year. Be sensible about this matter. Do not give people any excuse for gossip for only a few minutes of fleeting pleasure. Weigh the scales well to determine whether more good or harm may come to you because of the visit.
13 comments:
So, basically, WE know more about you than the date-guy? That's HIS loss!
Just for posterity, how did you dress? Did you do your hair and makeup in a vintage style?
You are doing soooooo good on your weight loss! I'm proud of you and I have no doubt that you are feeling much better too.
Hey, even if the guy never calls again at least you got the scary first date out of the way. Now you know you can survive just fine and start dating again.
I hate that end of the night time when you don't know what to say or do. You did good though.
Hugs,
joanne
Roxanne, you gals know WAY more about me than the emailer - and you haven't ever even see a picture! :) I dressed for comfort, knowing I didn't need to feel nervous about whether I was showing too much cleavage or whether my legs were crossed properly. Black cropped pants with a belt, a white cami, and a raspberry colored "babydoll" cardigan with a cable knit pattern across the top. Oh, and a nice pair or strappy black kitten heels with polish on my toes that matched the cardi. Lucky dude.
Thank you, Joanne!!! Yeah, that end of the night thing is AWKWARD. I am feeling a lot more confident about the next first date!
Perhaps your next first date will be with Curly :)
i'd be going for no second date with that guy...
Congrats on the (more)weight loss. Be careful of pushing too hard to lose weight. We all want you to stay healthy. Right gals? :)
Glad you made it through your date night. Unless you really liked him, I'm for no second date with him.
Hey Jitterbug, you know and we know that you are a catch, girl. Do not waste your time on a man who has not quite enough social skills...but goodness, how brave are you! A blind date takes all kinds of heroic courage. Aren't you proud of yourself?
Who needs Dear Abby? You girls are The Best.
IF I were to go out with the emailer again - and that's a big IF considering he took three days to follow up with any kind of message after our date - it would be solely for the purposes of getting some more practice. Let's face it. I really need some practice. So when the right guy comes along, I'll be more comfortable with all of this stuff which seems so foreign to me now.
Does that sound terribly cold and calculating? I hope not. I feel a little sorry for the guy because he's so bad at all of this --- but I also don't feel like he has any genuine romantic interest in me, so I'm not particularly concerned right now about breaking any hearts.
Thank you all for your sage advice. And, yes, Jo, I am proud for having gone through with it!
So glad others are speaking out. I thought maybe I shouldn't, but in. You are WORTH to much to worry about this guy. Maybe there is a singles group at church. Join a ladies group. You know one of them will have to have a son they want you to meet. :) Then you might find someone with the same Ideas and goals as you.Sorry if I sound like a mother it is cause I am one.
Hey Jitterbug,
I haven't weighed in yet, but I also agree, this guy doesn't sound right for you. But as someone who is still in the dating stage of life, I can say I don't think its cold and calculating to go on a second date with him just for practice. For one thing, its still a second chance for him and even though its doubtful it is possible that he improves as he gets more comfortable and no longer hides behind his technology. Secondly, he sounds like he could use the practice too!
Mrs Tailleur, I don't mind the mothering! I'm definitely feeling the warm fuzzies for this fella. Will continue looking...
PA, thank you for your candor. I don't feel too guilty! :)
weenie_elise, how wonderful!!! I'll check it out right now.
I have just caught up! Glad you did get that 'first date' out of the way. He sounds just as nervous as you. If he does ask again- I would go, give him at least 3 chances to warm up. He may yet surprise you!
A blind date does take courage, but you never know what can happen. I went on one 5 years ago, and have been married to him for just about 2 years now!
Wendy
What a wonderful happy ending to a blind date, Wendy! Thanks for the advice...
Post a Comment