recipes I've whipped up during the last twelve months. Most of these recipes hail from Ruth Berolzheimer's marvelous American Woman's Cook Book. (I own a wartime printing - 1945.)I should probably have titled this post, "Baking with Jitterbug." Can you tell from the number of Quick Breads recipes that I'm a carb-lover? There'll be more to come in the year ahead...
Cereals
Corn Meal Mush
Quick Breads
Date Bran Bread
Baking Powder Biscuits
Graham Gems
Butterscotch Biscuits
Rolled Oat Muffins
Raisin Bran Muffins
Toast
Cinnamon Toast
Vegetarian Dishes
Lima Bean Casserole
Egg Dishes
Battered or Scrambled Eggs
Jelly Omelet
Vegetables
Scalloped Potatoes
Salads
Lettuce and Tomato Salad
Pennsylvania Cabbage Slaw
Pear-grape Salad
French Fruit Salad
Salad Dressings
French Dressing
Chiffonade
Sour Cream Salad Dressing
Cookies, Gingerbread, and Small Cakes
Brownies
Gingerbread
Fruit Desserts
Sliced Oranges
Hot and Cold Puddings
Honey Rice
Farina Pudding
Hot and Cold Beverages
Coffee
9 comments:
Congrats on your blog-aversary!!
I have that book too =) I am still intimidated by it, but keep browsing through. Maybe I'll pick one that you liked and give it a whirl Ms. Jitterbug
LPM
I have it also! I do use it as I like to cook the old fashioned way. Things just taste better.
There are good recipes in that cookbook and some that are not-so-good. And even when something's not-so-good, I love the sense of adventure I feel in trying out something so old. It's like time traveling... As a thrifty gal, though, I try to make smaller batches than recommended - most of those recipes serve six - so I'm not wasting as many ingredients if the dish just bites.
I'd forgotten some of those dishes I tried - like the Honey Rice, which was so yummy!
"Something so old" ... Another blogger friend mentioned this morning that young people must think of the 60's and 70's as quaint as we thought the 20's were. Well, something from 1945 used to seem old to me, but now? Nah, it was just a few years before I was born. So watch who and what you are calling old. winks and LOL
Fair enough!!! I'll keep an eye on the so-old stuff. Hey, I can't tell you how ancient it makes me feel to see the teenagers so entranced with 80s fashion and music these days. :)
Love your blog!
I have this same book (and some other ones too.) I love cooking from old cookbooks, using vintage kitchen tools, anything that helps me feel like I'm connected in some way to the era I love--the WWII years.
Thanks, Valerie! I think anything that appeals to the senses is such a great way to connect with the past --- sounds, smells, tastes.
I recently scored a $4.00 copy of it--a 1938 edition--at the local antique purgatory. Not that I don't have enough other midcentury cookbooks . . .
I think of 1938 as the upper edge of "old." 1940's and 1950's are normal. 1960's and newer are positively mundane. I got The Progressive Farmer's Southern Cookbook, too, because somebody told me good things about it, and I was slightly disappointed to discover that it was as recent as 1961.
(My boss actually collects Texas cookbooks from 1850-1930. She has some super stuff.)
I love old cookbooks! The pre-20th century recipes can be tough to re-create though --- without handy things like standardized measurements and degrees.
Post a Comment