In the living room - just as in the bedroom - cleaning is a top-to-bottom kind of business. The Manual advises starting by cleaning the hearth and laying a new fire. It's the messiest job of the day by far. The housewife works from the top down --- dusting the highest objects in the room on which dust might settle, dealing next with upholstered and other "low" furnishings, then finally the carpet. For now, I don't have a stitch of high furnishings to dust. The only item on my list here is the frame around my living room window. Everything else is shorter than I am!
As much as I love having one less thing to do, I'm hoping this won't be the case for long. I've been feeling nest-y lately and my apartment badly needs some redecorating. I should make that "decorating," because I've been just kinda perched here since moving to the Southwest two years ago. My sister had recently gotten married and had some older furniture she needed temporary storage for - so it's worked out nicely for us both. I got a few pieces to fill my little place with and she got some space she so desperately needed with a baby on the way. Ever since then, I've been unsure how long I'd stay here, so didn't want to stock up on fabulous furnishings and things that I'd have a hard time moving cross-country again. Fast forward two years... My parents have just purchased a small home here where they're planning on coming for the winters. (Can't resist those grandbabies!) So I guess I'm here for awhile.
One nice thing about living in a city this size is that there are lots of places to shop vintage. Including at least three large-ish vintage furniture stores within a fifteen-minute drive. I've got some shopping to do! In the meantime, how 'bout a little furniture porn. I'm aiming for a late Art Deco/moderne look when it comes to my living room. Here's some of the inspiration that makes me weak in the knees...
.jpg)
Pair of Skyscraper End Tables (1928)
Dynamique Creations, Grand Rapids, Michigan
.jpg)
Coffee Table (1930s)
Modernage Furniture Company, New York City

French Reclining Club Chairs (1930s)

Danish Secretary

American Club Chair and Sofa Set (1930s)
...and since money isn't an object while I'm fantasizing - check out this piece of cheesecake!

French Cabinet (1930s)
11 comments:
Oh my goodness!!!!!!! That blue sofa set and that last piece of furniture are AMAZING!!!!
Help me! I think I swooned a bit as I scrolled through those!
When you DO redec...um...decorate, are there going to be any PICTURES??
Reclining club chairs?! WANT!
There's a furniture place next to my apartment that often has the most gorgeous pieces in it that I lust over but cannot either afford or find space for in our tiny place. I would love to redecorate in vintage though when we eventually buy our own home.
Yes yes, those reclining club chairs are to die for, as well as the sofa set!
Oh my, oh my. Those are gorgeous pieces. The only one I'm not completely in love with is the secretary, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered it too me for a __ dollars. I'd have to think about that when the time came. :)
I am in love with that coffee table!
I'll have to take a picture of the one we got second hand. It needs to be refinished but the "gold" on the trim of the ceramic tile inlay was the cincher for me. =)
lpm
Lovely! Just lovely :)
I love it all . You have great taste!
AmorAlaVintage, isn't that cabinet crazy beautiful! I'm not sure if I even own the knick-knacks that deserve storage space that amazing. :)
Roxanne, I'll have to add a new digital camera to my shopping list in order to do that!
Teru and Gingerella, I love the arms on those chairs. And have never seen reclining clubs before. Who needs a La-Z-Boy?
Packrat, yes, my tastes would be quite flexible, too, if somebody else was picking up the bill.
lpm, sometimes the pieces we put a lot of work into can be even more beautiful to us, can't they?
Rebecca and Mrs Tailleur, the skyscraper end tables are my absolute favorites... I love all how fascinated people were during the 1920s and '30s with the lines and shapes of the modern city.
Oh, my--I LOVE both the 1928 end tables and the secretary!
I love that kind of artistry with various woods --- the way a furniture maker plays different woodtones and grains off each other.
Post a Comment