Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Interlibrary Loan

One of my dear readers, Kathy, made such a useful comment to Saturday's post, I wanted to be sure anybody who's hunting for a copy of The Family had a chance to see it. If you don't find a copy on the shelves of your local library, check in with your librarian. Most public libraries - if not all - can provide interlibrary loan service. That's one great advantage we have today over the folks using libraries during the 1940s. Here's the scoop:

I actually work in an Interlibrary Loan department in a University library. I just checked OCLC, which keeps a record of cataloged books and it states that 589 libraries own The Family (OCLC# 31298074). All anyone needs to do to get an ILL book is to go to their public or university library and ask to place an ILL request. Most libraries don't charge for the service, but ask before placing it. A lot of libraries now allow you to place an ILL request online. The turn around time for an ILL loan is about 1-2 weeks, depending on what shipping service is used between the lending library and your library.

In case you need it, the full bibliographical info about the book is: Nina Fedorova, The Family (Boston, Little, Brown, 1940). Good luck! I picked up a copy myself last night. For those of you who like to sneak a peek at the first line of a book, here's a teaser:

The only thing the Family managed to retain from the prolific line of their noble ancestors was a long and shapely aristocratic nose.

I'll be back this evening or early tomorrow morning with a holiday post... How does a list of Christmas gifts suggested for women in 1942 compare to the same list in 2009?

7 comments:

Betsy said...

Good point about ILL...I always tend to forget about it myself.

Ok, that teaser line has me more intrigued now and I may just have to jump in and do this! :)

Kathy said...

I'm glad you found my info useful. It is funny how little libraries promote their ILL services.

The first line of the book is quite intriguing! I'm going to have to check out it out, but I probably won't finish it by the January 5th meeting. (I'm currently reading Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America and I'm only a third of the way through its 900+ pages!)

Unknown said...

Hi Jitterbug!

This is my first ever post on a blog and I have read quite a number of blogs. I have read your "journal" for about a year and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts, pictures and comments. Yours is the first blog I check every day!

I LOVE the Forties era (and 30's and early 50's) and find the simpler times soothing to my soul. I am totally "on board" for the reading project. I have wanted to read the 40's bestsellers for a while but am glad I waited until you created the book club. It will be so much more fun visiting with others about what we are reading. Thank-you for a GREAT idea! And ILL is the way to go! Thanks!

Betsy said...

I just have to add, when on your last post you put up the reading list for the year and I saw that Kitty Foyle was on it I squealed a little, as of course, it's my favorite movie of all time and I've always wondered how it differed from the book it was adapted from! I know that Ginger Rogers didn't want to do the part at first because she deemed it too vulgar and in order to get her on board they had to do some major editing of the screenplay. ILL will definitely help in finding that one as I know my library doesn't have it.

Jitterbug said...

Hee-hee! Now we'll get to know the real Kitty Foyle!!! Glad to tempt you, Gingerella. So many of these books ended up as films. (I think I know from hearsay the reason they altered the screenplay so dramatically, but I don't want to spoil it for you. It's a doozy.)

Kathy, wow - you're an ambitious reader! Maybe you'll be able to join us next month...

Phyllis, how exciting! And what a lovely compliment. :) Look forward to "seeing" you on January 5.

prairieknitter01 said...

Actually, the complete book is available for free online at Google Books.

Jitterbug said...

Here's the listing I found, but it looks like you can only see a "snippet view." Did you find the complete book in another location?

http://books.google.com/books?id=o7tAAAAAIAAJ&dq=intitle:the+intitle:family+inauthor:nina+inauthor:fedorova&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_brr=0&cd=1