Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jitterbug's Book of the Month Club



He is always saying apologetically:

"I just can't find any time to read books!"


Yet ... if he spent (on average) only 30 minutes a day - before bedtime, or while traveling to or from work, or in other leisure moments - he could easily read every best-seller during the year, and a great deal more!

The Book of the Month Club used these words in 1940 to try and recruit new members to the fold. In the 14 years since its inception in 1926, some 250,000 American homes had become members of this club designed to promote the production of inexpensive editions of bestselling fiction and nonfiction. Once a month, members received word of the latest club selection. If they didn't respond by returning the slip printed, "Don't want it," the book would be sent - and billed - to them. Members were required to purchase a minimum of four books per year and could choose a free "book dividend" for every two books purchased.

I'm making another venture into the world of 1940s culture this month with a special new mission: Jitterbug's Book of the Month Club. These dark winter evenings and chilly temperatures have me spending more time indoors than I have in months - and just itching to curl up with a good book. Even the busiest of housewives would have found time occasionally to enjoy reading or a hobby like needlepoint. (Well, probably except those with small children!) The Manual actually allots time each day in the late afternoon for "Rest, Relaxation, Correspondence, Reading, Personal care, etc."

Would you like to join me in catching up on some of the bestsellers of the 1940s? (I promise --- I won't send you any of those dreaded return-this-or-else-you'll-be-billed-for-it slips.) I always feel so out of the loop when vintage radio programs make a joking reference to a current book or character and the audience roars. I want to be in on the joke! And many of these bestsellers were adapted for films that became classics in their own right. It might be fun to get to know what the screenwriters didn't have time to include about the backstory for our favorite silver screen heroes and heroines. You may have to hunt to find some of these titles. Bestsellers don't always stand the test of time and some libraries are unfortunately quick to discard anything with an aging cover these days. You may have to scour used bookstores, eBay, or the stacks at Amazon to find some of these titles. If you don't have any success, don't worry. You can drop in and drop out of Jitterbug's Book of the Month Club any time you like!

Without further ado, here's the selection for January 2010 --- The Family by Nina Fedorova (Boston: Little, Brown, 1940). The Family was the tenth bestselling piece of fiction in 1940 and won the Atlantic Fiction Contest that June. Here's a description from the publisher which sounds like it could've been plucked right from a dust jacket:

The Family is the story of a cheap boarding house in Tientsin, China. Granny, mother and the children are trying to make ends meet. They are White Russians. The olders remember days of wealth. The youngsters remember nothing but hand-to-mouth existence. The only assets are the family bonds of love and tradition. To this boarding house come an extraordinary assortment of mankind, a Bessarabian fortune teller, an English woman dipsomaniac, a Russian scientist with an urge to save the world, a Chinese scholar, Japanese spies, an American doughboy and his mistress, an abbess and two nuns and even - an English bulldog. There is much comedy in the story and its people but as it progresses, the family begin to show a depth of character and a resourcefulness which transfers the comedy into something deeper and more stirring. The laughter and oddities remain but under the surface one feels the pathos and the true tragedy of these wanderers. The story ends with the Japanese occupation of Tientsin.

Shall we convene the club by meeting one month from today to discuss the book? I'll call the meeting to order on Tuesday, January 5. Happy hunting!

14 comments:

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

Sounds like a very interesting book!

I may have to just read everyone's input as time these days is devoted to reading nothing but science. Once I am completed, then, then I shall devour fun reading again!

I used to belong to a book of the month club for years. I believe it was Doubleday. I loved it, but now I am like you and scour for old books!

Happy reading!

LPM

sugoandsunshine said...

I'll see if I can find it...

Anonymous said...

i'd love to if i can find a copy! sounds great!

Betsy said...

I think this is a great idea, but like Lapetitemort, I will probably only have time to read the input....and I'm looking forward to hearing about this first one. With characters that have such a mix of different ethnic backgrounds, it will be interesting to know how they were depicted in this 1940 book; did they follow typical stereotypes of the day or were they represented fairly?

Packrat said...

Sounds fun. Maybe I can do this.

Jitterbug said...

We'll welcome anyone who just wants to follow along with the discussion! Best of luck to those of you who'd like to find the book. I found a copy in the library catalog of the local university. Just reserved it this morning and will pick it up on Monday. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to get it started before Christmas, but I'm on vacation from then until January 4 --- so will have lots of time to hole up and read at the end of the month.

lpm, I know just what it's like not to have the time to read anything you choose yourself. I recall about 8 years in college and grad school when I didn't have a spare minute to read anything but the books on my syllabi! Couldn't wait just to pick out a book for fun...

Gingerella, I've never really learned much about the Japanese occupation of China, so it'll be new territory for me - even if it is fiction. I think we tend to focus when it comes to WWII on what was going on in Europe, but the whole story of China during the '30s really got a lot of attention and sympathy from Americans during this era. I read this morning that Nina Fedorova was a Russian-American, so she may have a slightly different perspective, too, from a writer who'd never spent any time in Asia.

JacquiG said...

Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find it. I actually just finished a book set in 1940s England called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (yes, a strange name for a book!) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, I was wondering if you would consider sending me your snail mail address to jacran22@yahoo.com I have a March 1947 issue of Better Homes and Gardens and if you're intrested I'd like to send it to you.

Jackie

Penny Carrol said...

What a swell idea! This book actually sounds very interesting. If I'm able to locate it, I'd like to participate.

Although I'm new to your blog, I really like what you are doing! This is really a great idea, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

A said...

I'm totally game! I was thinking about doing the same thing the other day! When you listen to old radio shows, I'm always curious about what they reference.

Jitterbug said...

Jackie, what a sweet offer! Is that the issue with the illustration of the busy little suburban neighborhood on the cover. (I love that cover!) I have a copy of that issue in my collection. Thank you so much for the offer... Don't you love vintage magazines?

Penny, your comment made me grin. How come we never hear anybody use the word "swell" these days? You have a very vintage vocabulary. :)

Amanda, whoo-hoo! Aren't you a librarian? Maybe you can share some tips on using inter-library loan to borrow some of these more obscure titles.

Kathy said...

Jitterbug,

I actually work in an Interlibrary Loan department in a University library. I just checked OCLC, which keeps a record of cataloged books and it states that 589 libraries own The Family (OCLC# 31298074). All anyone needs to do to get an ILL book is to go to their public or university library and ask to place an ILL request. Most libraries don't charge for the service, but ask before placing it. A lot of libraries now allow you to place an ILL request online. The turn around time for an ILL loan is about 1-2 weeks, depending on what shipping service is used between the lending library and your library.

Jitterbug said...

Kathy, thank you so much for posting this information! I hope you won't mind that I included it in a post on the blog itself. Hoping it will come in handy for folks who'd like to track down any of these vintage titles thru ILL.

HepKitten said...

Oh, this sounds like fun. If I can get my hands on a copy, I'd love to participate. I've never been part of a book club, or "literary circle," but yours sounds perfect for me! :)

Jitterbug said...

Kristen, I hope you're able to find a copy! If not this month, maybe next...