1. Glassybaby Votive Candles
Handblown glass votives made in Seattle.
2. Envirosax
Reusable shopping bags.
3. Sarah Horowitz Parfums Online Journey
Custom-designed fragrance.
4. Smythson of Bond Street Notebook
Leather-bound notebook.
5. Kodak Zi8
Digital camcorder.
6. Club Monaco Cashmere Scarf
7. Ultimate Ears 700 Earphones
8. A.P.C. Madras Shoulder Bag
9. Leather Jacket, Jimmy Choo for H&M
10. David Yurman Four-Row Baby Box Chain
Sterling silver necklace.
But what about the '40s? How does this list from 2009 compare to a similar article from a 1942 newspaper. The gift suggestions for 1942 certainly sound a lot more practical. Gifts better designed to benefit the household as a whole than most of the gifts recommended in 2009. Take a look...
1. Ration Card Holder
"They're going like all get-out in Fifth avenue's already crowded stores. Best seller: a wine leather folder containing a sample of the government coupons which will be required for many things besides sugar in 1943."

2. Bathrobes
"Smartest robes are 'keep her warm' gifts. Rayon fabrics make some pretty special ones. The bright plaid taffeta, knee-length brunch coat that was a popular novelty last Christmas is important this year. Soft crush-resistant velvets, crepes and satins are ankle length under WPB regulations. Newer still are brushed or spun rayons that look soft and delicate, but are warm and wearable. A tasteful example is a pale pink challis with yellow flowers, quilted, fitted, double breasted. Cotton eyelet lace edges revers, cuffs and pockets. Rose velvet ribbon is drawn through the lace and tied in bows."
3. Bedsocks
"...perhaps imported English handmades with drawstrings and ball pompoms..."
4. Electric Blanket
"...for automatically controlled snugness, both as extra bedcovering and as an afghan in the living room..."
5. Sweater
"...wool sweaters, both classics and smart evening sweaters."
6. Scarf
"...say a huge, fringed plaid scarf, or one of those ice-mist ones which look like a wisp of cloud but feel quite cozy when worn about the shoulders or as a hood."
7. Garment Care Accessories
"...a wood stretcher to insure that her home-washed sweaters will look professionally blocked and wear better; mending kits of every description, and a remarkably good-looking and hard-as-iron coverall apron. This has the attached potholder and a pocket big enough for the duster, as well as the furniture glue."
8. Overalls
"Of course, if she's working in industry, overalls are in order, for these would be what stockings were, never-too-many."
9. Handkerchiefs
"Stores expect this will be the biggest 'handkerchief Christmas' in years. The supply of linens varies but many shops have them: Madeira and Swiss and Chinese. Printed handkerchiefs to match or 'make' a costume are particularly popular. Sheer cottons and rayons also are worth attention, being less soft and absorbent but also much more rumple-resistant."
10. American China
"For that so-numerous type, the war bride, the best gift still is something to add to the enduring beauty and comfort of her home... There are good stocks (though not uniformly plentiful) of fine imported and American china, and new ones are being introduced just now. There is one new collection of china with designs contributed by outstanding American artists."
Which list fits you best?
18 comments:
Definitely the vintage one....I just bought a vintage hankie yesterday! And I would kill for some laundry items. I had never heard of a garment stretcher, but now am trying to figure out how to search for one!
Definitely the vintage one! I guess I'm just not a modern gal in the world :) A bathrobe, sweaters, scarf, slippers and electric blanket would keep me warm in my chilly house! The modern list just seems so impractical and expensive. Guess I better give my hubby the vintage list!
The vintage list would suit me fine! I'd die for american china!
Funny but there is nothing I would want on the list for now days but almost everyone on the vintage one I would love to get.
Hugs,
Joanne
Absolutely the vintage list!
Amanda-impractical! That is the word I was looking for! Yes, the modern list is very impractical (about the only practical thing was the shopping bags and you can make those!)
I am also one for the vintage list!
LPM
I'd actually have wanted that bathrobe in the 1940's. Bathrobes were adorable then. Not so much, now.
I imagine an electric blanket was a fairly extravagant purchase then.
I'm also with the vintage list...I'd kill for a decent robe!
Jitterbug, I have an award for you over on my blog, stop by and get it.
Tammy
There is nothing on the modern list that speaks to me at all. For me it's the vintage list for sure!!
I agree with other commenters, the vintage bathrobes have that certain something this is missing today.
I've already got an electric blanket and bedsocks that I'll be putting to good use this coming weekend when the weather is expected to go down to -15 celcius!!
The only thing I wouldn't use is the Ration Book Holder. That's one part of the 1940s that I'm glad we can leave in the past.
Does anyone use hankies? I have some, but I don't use them because they are not at all absorbant. One blow of the nose is all they are good for!
Yeah, the 1942 gift list fits me much better. Perhaps I should forward it to my boyfriend to give him ideas! :)
I LOVE bathrobes, hankies, aprons, and knitting. I much prefer the vintage list. Thanks for sharing!
The vintage list without a doubt. It's all stuff I would get great use out of. The 2009 list just makes me think of uesless, overpriced junk :/
Found your blog via Amy Jeanne, and I have to say - vintage Christmas list all the way.
Jen
silentstanzas.blogspot.com
I like the vintage list. All are very practical gifts. I think you could live without the items on the modern list. I would pick the robe and hankies. I like to collect hankies. I have drawer full. I carry one or two in my purse. ( great to hand out to a crying friend or wipe dirt of a sons face.
Anything from the 1942 list would make me happy Christmas morn! What an interesting contrast with the modern list, which seems so self-indulgent...not that that's necessarily a bad thing ;)
There are a few things on the 2009 list that tempt me, but the 1942 list is much more appealing all in all. It seems like the vintage suggestions are all items that would be helpful to the household budget in a way - keeping her warm when you couldn't afford to keep the house as well heated during the winter as you'd like, keeping her wardrobe in good repair so it'll last longer, new dinnerware... While the modern suggestions more focused on entertainment and adornment.
The one item that makes both lists is a new scarf. I guess we'll always find the holidays a great time to give gifts designed to make the winter a little more comfy!
Kalee, garment stretchers were wooden forms used to dry garments that needed a little re-shaping. There were sock forms, sleeve forms, whole sweater forms. (They must have come in sizes.) My dad used to put shoe forms in his work shoes when they came off at night.
I loved the 1942 list so much that I posted it on my blog with links on where to get or how to make such items: http://16sparrows.typepad.com/16sparrows/2009/12/1942-gift-guide.html
Thanks so much for posting this list! I wonder how prewar lists compare to this one? I have some winter 1939 Ladies Home Journals that may have gift ideas; I need to check.
Kathy, I love what you did with the list!!! Great idea --- I'd be interested, too, to hear how a non-war years list compares with this one.
Post a Comment