Wednesday, July 15, 2009

11 + 2 = 13

I crossed my fingers behind my back as I stepped on the scale this morning. One week's vacation = most of my walks + a few of my exercises + 3/4 of an ice cream cone + a couple meals out + 1 thin slice of birthday cake + several unfortunate snacks. Much to my surprise, it also = 2 less lbs.! I weighed in at 181 this morning.

My week in Connecticut was wonderful! How good it was to breathe that salt air and walk in the woods... I am happy to be back to work, though, when it comes to my reducing and fitness plans. All my routines, actually. And it's swell to come home to a clean-ish house.

When I got up this morning, I wasn't sure I'd remember everything that needed to be done, but the only thing I forgot was to take that one last look in the mirror to inspect my clothes and hair. That's a tricky one. Why do you suppose I keep forgetting it? Is it just that I've gotten so accustomed over the years to spending very little time in the mirror? I guess when you don't like the way you look you don't spend much more time than you have to checking yourself out. In fact, I daresay I avoid looking at myself even when I'm passing reflective windows... The other day, my sister was lamenting the fact that she'd developed some varicose veins during her second pregnancy and I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I'd looked at the back of my legs in a mirror! I think I'll have to start leaving the mirror from my vanity set someplace where it'll jog my memory every morning.

You don't always have to look at yourself in a mirror to see yourself from a new perspective. During one of my indulgent moments last week, I was having dinner in a Mexican restaurant with my family. Halfway through the meal, I knew that I was full. Normally, I'd have eaten all or most of the meal before that signal made it's way to my brain - then end up feeling stuffed and disgusted with myself afterwards. This time, I just put my fork down and waited for everybody else to finish. The food just wasn't good enough to be worth any extra damage. Kinda neat to see those meager portions at dinner are having some effect... And the cake! I've been fantasizing about cake for weeks. It was my sister's birthday, so I didn't feel quite right turning it down. Sadly, it wasn't anywhere near as lovely as my fantasy cake. So maybe that's killed that fantasy for awhile.

Well, I've been to the grocery store to stock back up on milk and eggs and fresh fruit and veggies. I've got all kinds of unpacking to do... Catch you tomorrow!

10 comments:

A said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a good trip.

Packrat said...

Amanda's words: Welcome back! Glad you had a good trip. :)

So cool that you were able to tell that you didn't want or need any more food.

I have no idea if you have room or wall space, but you might try hanging a full length mirror by your door. (I started to say "or by where you hang your coats". Silly me.) That way you can check yourself over just before you leave home. I think you can get one for less than $20 at Walmart or K mart.

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

Welcome back and congrats on the additional 2 lbs! That's fab =)
LPM

Jitterbug said...

Coats! I wish... :) I had a full-length mirror on my bathroom door, but one of the plastic hanger thingies broke awhile ago and the mirror's just been propped up against the wall in there. I am going to have to get it back up on that door.

Thank you both for the welcome home!

Roxanne said...

You're home! Every day I would look through my RSS feed and see that yours wasn't highlighted showing a new post.

Every day I realized how much I ENJOY reading your posts.

Today I saw it highlighted and rushed right over!

Congratulations on the 2 pounds and the shift in your thinking!

Where do you get your photos? I love the way they fit a tiny vanity into the limited wall space in the room.

Jeanne said...

Me too! love the vanity and space saving idea. Sooo cool you did so well. I have been seriously doing a diet for two weeks and hope i have as good results. will weigh in when i have the guts!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Glad you're back!!

Jitterbug said...

LPM, muchas gracias! Clearly, I should spend more time on vacation. :)

Roxanne, you're making me blush! I'm glad you pointed out the vanity, because I hadn't even noticed it. I ought to try and rig something like that up myself in my little apartment-sized bedroom... The picture is from the wonderful FSA/OWI Collection at the Library of Congress. It was taken in Detroit in the summer of 1941.

Jeanne, I'm rooting for you!!! Keep me posted on your progress.

Hairball, right back atcha!

JacquiG said...

Oh, you're back! Hope you had a great vacation, but I sure did miss reading your posts every day.

Congrats on losing weight on vacation ... not something I've every experienced! ;o)

Jackie

Jitterbug said...

Thanks, Jackie! Believe me, I was some surprised myself about the weight loss. I'd have been thrilled just to have broken even. :)