Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bon Voyage!



Well, dear readers, my ride to the airport - or air station, as it was called in the early days - is due shortly, so I wanted to bid you a fond farewell. I'm headed to New England for a week's vacation with family. A little woods, a little beach, lots of fun!

I've packed some healthy-ish snacks in my personal item and will plan on ordering a salad if I have to eat during my layover in Dallas this evening. I'll be sticking like mad to my fitness routine and reducing plan, but vacations can be a challenge - so I'll be thrilled if I break even. (I weighed in at 183 this morning.) On a good note, I had to go shopping last night because so many of my clothes don't fit me any longer. Most of my pants have gotten so saggy that I have to wear a belt all the time. It's actually the first time in y.e.a.r.s that shopping for clothes didn't leave me wanting to cry and throw up all at same time. I fit into a size 16 pant for the first time in forever and they looked great on me! Not to worry, I only bought a few things... I'm not planning to be a size 16 for long.

Have a wonderful week!

13 comments:

Angel said...

Congrats on the shopping and have a good week. Don't feel too bad if the scales don't show much progress, your body won't like the change in routine.

:) See you soon and have a good week.

Packrat said...

Congratulations! Safe journey. Enjoy your vacation :)

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

Wonderful!
Have a safe, and most of all, fun journey!

The Glamorous Housewife said...

I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation. I cant wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Roxanne said...

Congratulations and we'll MISS you!

50sgal said...

Well, coming our way, are you? I am not sure what part of New England you are coming too, but we have had, in my opinion, lovely weather. Yes it has been rainging alot and cold for the season, but today and yesterday, sunny and low 70s is heaven to me! I wish it woudl stay this way all year (though I would miss autumn, I know I would!) enjoy! What a change it must seem after the SW, so lush and verdant, especially with all the rain we have got!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Have fun!!

weenie_elise said...

Have a safe and happy trip!

Teru said...

Have a great time! And MASSIVE! (way bigger than size 16) congratulations on your new shape!

Me said...

Hi jitterbug,

I am only in the beginning stages of reading your blog but am finding it so interesting.

Perhaps you have already answered this, but…It looks like your after-work schedule, especially, is extremely intense and time-consuming. Are you finding that you have the energy after to work to accomplish it all? Do you feel like you have much free time with working full time AND keeping your cleaning schedule on the weekends as well?

I too work and would like to try the schedule but can see myself getting overwhelmed.

I look forward to your thoughts. :)

Me said...

Me again with another comment. One of your comments on a past blog stuck out to me.

“(Boy, you skip one generation when it comes to passing down traditional knowledge about cookery and the information is practically lost!)”

I see this so much today. Young ladies (you can’t always call them that) don’t know how to cook well or really have any desire to do so. Put aside is the tradition of mothers passing on to daughters these fine skills. We have lost the basic and wonderful arts of homemaking in our modern and fast-paced world. It is sad to me. I am fortunate in that my mother is an excellent cook and housekeeper. My grandma before her was the best German cook ever. Though Mom didn’t specifically teach me every step of cooking, I learned the art from being around and watching her. It is just in me. I can tell, by the smell, the different stages that my hot dish is in. I also feel the food or sense it as I am making it. I can’t really explain what I am writing just have a kinesthesis in this art of creating my food. I know that many of you that read this blog probably have this ability as well. I am just thankful for this art that my dear mommy and grandma passed on to me.

Jitterbug said...

Hello, my luvvies! I missed you one and all --- and am very glad to have emerged from a long trip home with some frightful delays.

My trip to Connecticut was wonderful. Beautiful crisp, dry weather with lots of sunshiny breezes and so much green it made me squint at first! The farms look like they're doing especially well with so much moisture this year, and it was great to see those winding roads dotted with little farmstands selling fresh corn, zucchini, and blueberries.

I spent one particularly beautiful day at the oceanside in East Lyme. Just buried myself in the warm sand and listened to the waves and the seagulls. How good it was to be near the ocean again! I honestly had no idea how deep New England ran in my blood until I moved away...

Tomorrow, the scale.

Zebu, as for my action-packed evenings - TV certainly has made a difference in the time available for housework. My chores on Monday evenings, Wednesday evenings, and Thursday evenings are actually quite light --- particularly now that I've gone back to exercising during my lunch hour at work. I find my mornings much more of a challenge! That said, I don't have a family to prepare supper for or clean up after. :)

The whole "free time" issue is still a work in progress. Cutting my weekly cleaning routines back a step and giving each room some intensive attention once a month instead of once a week has made a difference. My schedule may look a little intimidating in print, but if you look closely you'll see there are some free segments there on the weekend. I'm aiming to have a little bit of leisure time on Saturdays and more of it on Sundays... I hope that as I become more skilled at all of these things and get to know where modern conveniences truly pay off that issue will sort itself out.

It is frightening how quickly we lose the cookery skills that were passed down so carefully over the generations. I suppose my own mother - as a '70s and '80s mom - wanted to liberate her daughters from housekeeping, so did all the cooking for us. I guess it's a bit like the loss of "indigenous" languages that various cultures have faced.

Me said...

Well Jitterbug,

It is certainly good that you are back in one piece and hopefully had a wonderful time!

Thank you answering my questions; I appreciate them very much, as I ponder the possibly attempting the same. Right now, I try to do at least one thing after work, which usually goes into doing more than one thing. For instance, tonight, I set the water and then looking at this eye sore of a tire that has been bugging me for YEARS that hubby won’t take down from in front of the fence, I moved it away! HAHA—I conquered!

Then, I decided to put in some decorative bricks, that we happened to have extra of, between my raised garden beds. After that I got out the vinegar and poured it on the weeds amongst the bricks. Between outside and inside, I puttered, straightening up my bedroom, eating, making me some tea, and then finally showering and settling down for the evening. So…all in all, my one little chore turned into a few little ones, and I felt quite content.

That being said, I have yet to decide if I’ll keep up this way of doing things or attempt more of a set schedule like you have. I see benefits to both and really enjoy reading your blog!