Saturday, July 25, 2009

15 + 5 = 20

Good morning, dearies!

Three days and one new computer monitor later, I'm back in business. My monitor's been acting up for a couple weeks now, but it gave up the game yesterday. When I couldn't get online, I actually started feeling a little worried. Would I be able to keep up the hard work without my dear readers to help me through the rough patches? As soon as I'd finished my workout this morning, eaten my breakfast, and powdered my nose, it was off to the store to pick up a new monitor. Whatever it is about this blog, it's been an absolute necessity to me in this journey and I haven't the time to hem and haw about repairing the old monitor. Now if I can just get used to this extra wide, new screen...

As you can see from the title to this post, I had some wonderful news from the scale to compensate for the computer issues. It was 2 lbs. a few days ago and 3 more this morning, leaving me at a weight of 174. That's 20 lbs. lost since April 9!!! I'm not sure why - you know firsthand how hard those first 11 lbs. were - but the last 9 have come off fairly quickly.

Is it the humidity?
With temps in the 90s and 100s every day, I am sweating an awful lot more when I walk than I was in April or May. (I'm also continuing to drink 64 oz. of water per day to make up for that.)

Has my stomach been shrinking?
It's a strange place indeed to find myself, but I've actually had zero temptation to snack lately. I watched my co-workers gorge themselves on tres leches cake yesterday and it didn't even cross my mind to have a taste. Hit one of the bars last night for happy hour and drank a diet soda (which is rare in and of itself for me). Didn't have the remotest interest in sampling all the appetizers that were being shared around the table. It wigs me out a bit to think of the quantity of food I used to eat. Even just a month ago when I was still eating peanut butter cups for dessert after dinner. There are a few minor changes I've been making lately --- buying skim milk instead of 1%, using two sugars in my morning coffee instead of three. That kind of thing. Maybe these little changes are making a difference.

Am I working out with more intensity?
I'm not sure. I can tell you that I'm beginning to look forward to my walks these days. (Could you have imagined me saying that three months ago?) I've even felt impelled this morning to break into a jog a couple of times. Crazy! One of the limbering and stretching exercises that I do each day is a leg lift in bed first thing in the morning. I do it just five times each morning - and what I noticed a few days ago is that while my back used to really do the work, my abdomen has taken over. I can actually feel some strength in my core which I never in a million years thought I'd feel again. I had open abdominal surgery several times during my late twenties. Cut open from stem to stern. Sliced right through that abdominal wall. I never thought I'd be able to rebuild any kind of strength or power in that area.

Or could it just be that crush?
Yep, you heard it here first. Little Miss Jitterbug has a good old-fashioned, butterflies-in-the-tummy, weak-in-the-knees kind of crush! He's a man who works in the same building as I do, though he's in a different department. Probably a few years younger than me, but he's got a 3,000-watt smile, the kind of curls they write songs about, and - from the few conversations we've had - seems like a super sweet person. *swoon* Nothing will probably come of this, but it's been a looooooooooooooong time since I even had a crush on somebody... so I'll take whatever loss of appetite comes along with it for as long as it lasts!

Now how 'bout that bedroom. I've got some housework to do! I'll check in later this weekend to share my adventures in bathing.

9 comments:

The Gossiper said...

Oh Jitterbug! This post made me smile and gasp! It is nice to have a crush! Something about the excitement and the sheer pleasure at seeing another person's face just lets us be young for a few moments. The weightloss is fantastic and you sound so positive about it all. I've got my own list of goals that I work on periodically and I've been dreading the next step I have to add in September, but seeing how your effort in one area has spread and spread makes me excited!

Packrat said...

Wow! Good for you on all fronts. Well, except having the surgeries. Not fun! (I've had three.) It is very difficult to get those stomach muscles back into shape.

As to the old monitor being fixed, nah. Unless it was just the cord, it wasn't worth the money it would cost (My DH is a computer repair tech.)

Glad you are back! You are such an inspiration.

M said...

Good for you sister!!!
20 lbs is a major feat, do you feel any lighter!?
Im sure that is a big self confidence booster!
And so is the crush, Im sure!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the 20 lbs!!!!

:::::::throws confetti::::::::

I think when we first start reducing our bodies go into a bit of shock like "Oh no!--Starvation, hold onto everything!" And then it kind of relaxes and gets used to the changes and says "No, it's okay, she's just trying to lose a little weight, we can relax and let go." And I bet you've revved up your metabolism a bit from all of the exercise, so that now even when you aren't exercising you're burning more calories.

I'm just **so excited** for you and yes inspired by you as well!

Many Blessings,
~Michele

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

What a great post. Happy times.

Jitterbug said...

Y'all are very good to me. :)

PA, Crushes are fun, aren't they! It's such a rush. I can feel myself blushing and feeling as giddy as a schoolgirl every time I see and talk to him. Best of luck to you in your own list of goals. Just take it one step at a time and there isn't anything you can't accomplish...

Packrat, thank you for everything - including the tip on monitor repairs!

M, I do feel a little lighter on my feet these days. And I can definitely see the weight loss in my face and feel it in across my chest and in my feet.

Thank you, Michele!!! I like your theory about why those first 11 lbs. were so hard. I'll probably plateau any day now and have to fight my way back down the scale tooth and nail, but I'll enjoy this speedy weight loss for as long as possible.

Roxanne said...

Very impressive--congratulations!

If it weren't for my blogs and the accountability, I KNOW I wouldn't have accomplished as much as I have in the past several months.

weenie_elise said...

congratulations! well done on all your hard work!

Jitterbug said...

Thank you, darlings! Now on to the next 20!!!