Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mrs. Fergusen's Laundry

The Library of Congress holds an incredible collection of images taken by Farm Security Administration and Office of War Administration photographers during the 1930s and '40s. Here's a fun little series featuring a West Virginian housewife and her laundry. I'll split them up over a few posts during the next day or two. Enjoy!

Meet the Fergusens. Ann, Nancy, Mother - a.k.a. Mamie, Dad - a.k.a. Bob, and Jimmie. The Fergusens live in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Bob Fergusen is principal at the local junior high school.

This is the Fergusen house:


Mrs. Fergusen must have a lot of laundry with a family of five... Here she is in her basement operating the wringer so the wet clothes will be a little less wet. She may own a Thor washing machine, but check out all those washtubs. It looks like Mrs. Fergusen rinses her clothes by hand. And dries the family dainties indoors. No need to dry everything outside when the neighbors live so close by!

5 comments:

50sgal said...

Wow, I just realized, although I am a 1955 housewife with the luxery of a washer and dryer, I would have helped with this type of laundry. I mean I didn't just land in 1955 I had to go through the 1930s and 1940s. I wonder if I should do a week of 1940s style laundry, just so I have a point of historical reference to appreciate what I have now in 1955. It would make for an interesing project wihtin my project, what do you think. you have become my source for my youth (30s and 40s). Are you able to get these images online? Thanks.

weenie_elise said...

can't let the unmentionables be out on display

Jitterbug said...

50s gal, I bet any young housewife with a brand new state-of-the-art washing machine would feel lucky as can be NOT to have one of the washers she watched her mother use in the '40s - and probably learned to do laundry with.

Here's the website for the FSA/OWI Collection:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsowhome.html

W-E, Mrs. Fergusen doesn't have all that much in the way of unmentionables, does she? Maybe those are the silk and rayon articles she washed by hand...

weenie_elise said...

not a very big line either...i'm guessing she isn't wearing a heap of nylons anyway...

Jitterbug said...

You can see Mrs. Fergusen's bare legs in some of the photos taken at the clothesline! Yep, probably no nylons to wash these days... Maybe the stuff on the line is just one day's worth of handwashables.