Thursday, January 29, 2009

Week's End



I got to play with my new popover pan this morning!

Hot Baked Apple
Popovers

The recipe in the cookbook for Hot Baked Apples wasn't very detailed. It tells me to bake the fruit in a moderate oven (350-375 degrees F), but doesn't tell me how long to bake it:

Sour apples cook more quickly than sweet ones, and summer or fall apples take less time to cook than winter apples.

Thank goodness for the internet. Advice like that would've been meaningful for somebody who'd grown up baking apples, but for me --- not so helpful. (Boy, you skip one generation when it comes to passing down traditional knowledge about cookery and the information is practically lost!) Recipes online suggest baking the fruit for 40 to 65 minutes. With a little research, I was able to find out that Braeburn apples - the kind in my fruit bowl - are a winter variety, so I figured one of those would take at least an hour.

I realized the other night that my closet has become a little segregated. The clothes I've hung up in there since I started ironing my clean laundry on Tuesdays are all neatly hanging on one side of the closet. Wrinkle-free, by the way, even after a week in some cases. That still suprises me! I've been so fearful that the wrinkle-free will be contaminated by The Others - all those wrinkled clothes I haven't cleaned since the days when I only ironed things on my way out the door. So they each have their own sides of the closet. And I'm hoping that the wrinkle-free side will just get bigger and bigger until it takes over the whole place someday...

One of the things that's taken me by surprise lately is just how much I like being in my own home. How much more I genuinely enjoy being here when it's not as messy as it used to be. It's certainly not clean by any stretch of the imagination, but the living room and bedroom are tidy. There aren't dirty dishes all over the kitchen counters and stovetop. My clean clothes are all put away, and the dirty laundry is in its place. There's something about a neat(er) home that makes me want to spend some time here. Fancy that! It's no wonder I always felt kinda antsy at home before this. Who can relax in a messy place?

10 comments:

weenie_elise said...

yes indeed... what's that old chestnut about a 'tidy room shows a tidy mind'?

do you like to 'pause and relax...with an ice-cold coca cola'?

Hairball T. Hairball said...

That Coca-Cola ad really has me craving a Coke right now.

I chuckled at your segregated closet. *grins*

Jitterbug said...

Hey, a icy cold cola really hits the spot sometimes --- I'm a fan of Pepsi, myself. I think that lady's got the right idea. As long as you stick to the vintage serving size.

Jo said...

I have recently found your blog, and am so enjoying reading about your experiment. Warm memories of my grandmother's house, which seemed to be in a 1940's time warp, have always endeared me to this period. I am also coming to terms with having to bake everything we eat, due to a daughter's allergies - she seems to be allergic to anything in a bottle, package or box, so I am loving your breakfast menu. We will try some in our antipodean winter.

I wonder if you have found this treasure trove of on-line vintage housekeeping manuals -

http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/index.html

Bridal Makeup Artists.com said...

Mmmm baked apples in a popover pan sound dreamy!!

Jo, that's a great link. Thanks so much!

The Gossiper said...

I definitely want to try baked apples popovers now. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to spend more time at home. When I actually take the time to make the place I live pleasant, I like living there so much more.

P. said...

I like so m uch my home too. And I like doing the laundry too. I believe is my favorite chore.

Alfazema

50sgal said...

I thought of you, as in my 1944 magazine I just recieved there is an entire article on ironing an such. I will post it this week wiht my feelings on it. Isn't it funny how much bigger servings are nowadays. When I first started using my coffee cups it seemed like a thimble full of coffe. And the little 8oz bottles of coke I sometimes buy (as I believe they are a repro of the original ones no diet tho!) are so small compared to what we drink now. But a hube 90 oz big gulp (not that I ever drank that) is more than ur recommeded daily calories for the WHOLE DAY!
I, too, am beginning to love being home. I was stuck in the house the past three days as my car had to stay put until it went to it's apt on thursday, and honestly I loved it and didn't mind not leaving the house for three days! It gave me time to get to the backs of closets and other little odds and ends I would normally never get to.

Amber said...

Jo, that is a great link! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Jitterbug, imagine those of us who are two generations behind that learning tradition! I don't think my mother ever cooked. What little knowledge I have is from my grandmother!

Jitterbug said...

Jo, thanks so much for the link. What an incredible collection --- so much material. I'm feaating right now on a 1925 manual for salespeople about aprons and housedresses!

50sgal, I was very skeptical about the smaller serving sizes when it came to juice at breakfast. The glasses they used to use were sooooo small. What I finally realized was that I'd be fine with the teeny glass of juice if only I could have a tall glass of water on the side.