
The deeper I dig into this way of life, the more often it occurs to me how dangerous it was to be a housewife during the '40s. Between hot oil in the frying pan, a searingly hot iron, and chemicals you have to be super careful using about the house and garden - it was a fearsome job. It still is! Not only can you damage property or waste food if you make a mistake, but you could end up with burnt arms or worse... I think many of us look on homemaking as a very simple, gentle, quiet job, but the housewife is actually working with some very dangerous substances and tools. Even in 2009. I'm a pretty clumsy person and tend to rush into things like new recipes, but clumsiness and haste aren't going to do me any favors on this job.
Since adding Wash Day and Ironing Day to my housekeeping routine, I've been spending a lot more time with my clothes than ever before - and am realizing just how intimately a woman in the 1940s knew her wardrobe. And not just where she bought it and how much she paid for it. My '40s counterpart would've known fabrics inside and out - known what temperature water to wash each fabric in, how exactly it should be dried, whether it should be ironed on the right side or the wrong side. If a garment was made from a blend of fibers, it had another protocol entirely. Add buttons and zippers and decorative trim to the mix, and laundry became an intricate balance of needs. And I'm not even counting the time a woman spent on the articles she made herself! There's a whole different relationship to fabrics that this kind of time and attentiveness brought about - particularly to clothing. You'd be so much more likely to guard against damaging your garments, to work earnestly at removing stains before they set. This is foreign territory for me still.
I find myself truly appreciative these days of the encyclopedia's worth of knowlege a '40s housewife carried about in her head. Rules for everything from which batters needed more stirring than others to which laundry required a cool wash. Everything I'm resorting to the manual to find out. Now, she'd probably been absorbing this stuff since she was a little girl, so it'd have come quite naturally. Maybe I'll start to pick up some of this knowledge, too --- at least some of the more general rules. 'Til then, thank goodness for America's Housekeeping Book!
6 comments:
I agree! Not only that, but what about the possibility of pulled back muscles when mopping and sweeping (or am I just the only one?)
She would have to grin and bear whatever pain to get the housework done and get the children fed, cleaned and out of trouble. I for one have SO much respect for housewives of the past as well as today.
And how 'bout the knees after a hour scrubbing the floor? Yep, you can't really stop and baby yourself when there are children underfoot. Housework must have seemed like it had a life of its own at times like that. Just keeps on growing!
I've got a similar book about things by Mrs Beeton that housewives needed to know. I'd be happy to scan and email you a few pages from it.
i love your blog and this period !
I agree with the danger factor. Two days into my project I had put in my first coffee cake and when retrieving it, I seared the top of my right hand on the heating element in my stove. I could literally hear it sizzle as the skin slid across it. I had a big bandage and ointment on it for a week. I don't know why I didnt' think to mention it in my blog, pride maybe? It is now an ugly scar about the size of a nickel and I hate the way it looks when I take off my gloves, my nails nicely done, and there is that scar, a reminder of my novice abilites in the kitchen, but I am getting better and smarter.
YOOOOOOOOOWCH! I just gasped aloud when I read that. It must have hurt so bad... When you're working around the oven several times a day, the are so many opportunities for an accident.
Aurelie, thanks so much for stopping by!
Amy, have you seen Weenie_Elise's blog, "Ode to Mrs. Beeton"?
http://odetomrsbeeton.blogspot.com/
Thank you for the offer... I'll take you up on it if I come across any topics that aren't covered in my manuals!
Post a Comment