Sunday, January 11, 2009

"To make you look your prettiest at bedtime..."



Colored sheets were apparently one of the hottest new trends in home decor during the late 1940s. Pepperell Manufacturing Company published a little booklet called Sheets and Blankets: A Housekeeping Guide in 1948 with tips on everything from making beds to finding the color in bed linens that was most flattering to you. Which color would you have purchased?

To make you look your prettiest at bedtime, choose a tint to set off your own coloring. Golden blondes look lovelier still against a background of peachbloom, maize or ashes of roses; brunettes are more glamorous when their dark beauty is set off by maize or aqua; auburn hair is ravishing on a background of cool aqua; while hyacinth blue is becoming to everyone...

Use a tint to match your blankets. Or a color that will combine prettily - maize sheets turned down over green blankets, rose over blue, and so on. At the same time, carry out the decor of your bedroom by choosing sheets that match or contrast smartly with draperies, wallpaper and other furnishings.

3 comments:

weenie_elise said...

gosh, i guess i would need a new set of sheets everytime i changed my hair colour then...

Teru said...

HA! I was thinking the same thing! I just did my (blond) roots to match the rest of my red hair, so maybe I should stick with hyacinth.

I take it we don't care about making any bedmate look pretty, right? Because my husband's hair is never going to match mine.

Jitterbug said...

Well, you are sleeping in twin beds after all, so you probably don't need to worry about the color of hubby's hair!

I'm a brunette, so I should be looking absolutely scrumptious against maize, aqua, or hyacinth. Maize probably matches my current bedroom decor best, so I'll go with that.

Isn't that bed in the first picture amazing? A gold headboard and bedskirt! Anybody could look her prettiest with a backdrop like that...