Here's this morning's menu (and tomorrow's, as I have leftover biscuits):
Grapefruit
Baking Powder Biscuits
It was a tasty breakfast. Not as filling as a whole-grain cereal or eggs might have been. The Biscuits were super quick. A cup did the trick today, but I'll have to add a biscuit cutter to my growing list of needs for a vintage home.

Speaking of shopping, my mission for this coming week will be to do some "light" marketing on Wednesday evenings. Housewives in the '40s made multiple trips to multiple stores over the course of a week to buy groceries, toiletries, and household supplies. They might have been able to have groceries delivered in a pinch - and this was still the era of door-to-door salesmen - but they probably spent a fair amount of time walking or driving to the pharmacy, the bakery, the green goods grocer, the shoe repairman, etc. Today, our supermarkets and discount department stores are so massive that we can find most of what we need under two roofs.
I probably make three shopping trips per week (unless something special comes up). A trip to the supermarket, a trip to Trader Joe's, and a trip to Walgreen's. I buy my eggs and dairy and a few other odds and ends at Trader Joe's. There are some incredible prices on produce at another natural foods market, so I stop there sometimes. (They also have a good selection of flours - which has been such a help with these 1945 breakfast menus.) So my own habits in this respect fall quite easily into vintage marketing patterns.
The manual has one recommendation as to timing:
The bulk of marketing should be done on a day when local stores offer special prices. Often Friday and Saturday are bargain days.
I might be wrong, but I don't think any modern supermarkets have sale prices effective just one day per week. They seem to offer sale prices that change once a week, but are effective all week long. I'm going to set aside some time on Saturdays to do the "bulk" of my marketing (a trip to the supermarket) with Wednesday evenings dedicated to a shorter trip to either Trader Joe's or the natural foods store. Those two trips - at opposite ends of the week - should keep my pantry in good order. Wouldn't it be nice never to run short of things? Not to have to make any emergency stops here and there to pick up what I might have been stocked up on with better planning?
6 comments:
One of the stores I shop at has the usual weekly specials, but they also have 1-3 day special sales from time to time. I got butter for $1.50 a pound today because it was a loss leader item for the special sale that started today.
Could you please take a picture of one of the grapefruits you received or point us to a picture on the web? I've never seen a pear shaped grapefruit and I'd like to see one!
The butcher department in my grocery store discounts meats that are approaching their expiration date. The stuff is still good and can be frozen if I'm not going to use it right away. But I've noticed the most discounted meats are available on Friday mornings.
Unfortunately, many other people have noticed it also. It hasn't gotten ugly -- yet.
I wish we had a natural food market or farmer's market around here--but sadly, the small town desert requires a bit of driving to do these things and it's not something I'd be able (or willing) to do! Half my produce would probably go bad making its way back home.
Hairball, I would love to take a picture of these grapefruit - inside and out - if only my camera wasn't on the fritz. Here's a picture from a gallery at Flickr where you might be able to see what I mean:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/2421218294_747fd1a2f3.jpg?v=0
I'm not sure how the commercial growers get their grapefruits so perfectly round!
I guess there really are some daily kind of specials still out there in the world. I honestly haven't opened up the flyers published by the local supermarkets in ages, so I have no idea what's on special/what's no when I go on the store. I always kind of follow my tastebuds and feel like I'm lucky if something I want is on sale! Not very easy on the pocketbook, I'm sure.
Emer, having lots of stores to choose from is one of the few pluses for me of living in the city. I miss the countryside dreadfully!
most of the weekly specials start on thursdays in my area...
I think that's probably most useful these days - knowing what day of the week the sales prices change.
Somebody told me once that I should always shop on Wednesday as produce was always delivered that day and fruits or veggies I bought on Tuesday would've been sitting out for a week. I'm not sure that's true, but it's always haunted me! Does anybody know?
Post a Comment