It's been more than a week now since I started my last mission, but I'm getting ready to start the next, so thought it'd be a good time for a little wrap up. First, the eats. This is the first of the menus in the front of the cookbook:
Orange Juice
Hard-cooked Egg
Graham Muffins
Have you ever worked with graham flour before? It's kind of a happy medium between wheat bran and your generic sack of flour. One of the side effects of these vintage breakfast menus is that my pantry is becoming quite well stocked with different varieties of flour. Regular, wheat bran, buckwheat, graham flour... Thank goodness there's a grocery store here in town that keeps a great selection of Bob's Red Mill in stock! I wanted to make sure the Graham Muffins didn't turn out as dry as the Corn-meal Muffins a few weeks ago, so I added an extra tablespoon of vegetable oil to the recipe. And it helped. They were much softer than the Corn-meal Muffins. I had no idea what they'd taste like - visions of Golden Grahams were dancing through my head - but they just tasted kinda wheaty.
It was a good breakfast. And wonder of wonders, I had everything ready for the table at the same time! That's the kind of magic only experience can help a housewife work. I had to crow about it when I got to work today. But my co-workers didn't get why it was so exciting. I think most of the people I've told about what I'm doing - at least the breakfast part - don't really understand why. Why would I bother baking on a weekday morning? Why not just eat a protein bar or a bowl of cold cereal? It's not like I have kids to make breakfast for. Or a husband to impress. It's as if they think the skills I'm trying to cultivate are outdated and unnecessary. We've moved past needing a hot, yummy, nutritious breakfast or something.
Obviously, I don't think that's the case. But what's kind of nice is hearing that contrast. It makes me realize why I feel so good sitting down to a swell breakfast or crawling into a bed that's neat as a pin at the end of the day. I feel like I'm treating myself like a queen. Which I deserve! I haven't done that in a long time. And there's something about making my home a palace that makes me feel awfully good. So it's not just pride at work here. I would love to have found Mr. Right and to be making a home for my husband and children, but if that's not in the cards... I need to make a home for myself.
Making my bed every morning has quickly become one of my favorite chores. It's so much easier with the bed moved out from the wall in my bedroom. There's instant payoff when you step back and admire everything tucked in just so and the pillows plumped. I can't wait to be able to invest in some bed linens and blankets, maybe a fantastic vintage chenille bedspread, new pillows. Even if they mean it'll take a little bit longer to make my bed! Bedmaking is especially nice when I'm not completely in a rush and running out the door.
It's been interesting to learn a little something new about laundry. Though the process today is so different, the manual has made me appreciate how arduous Wash Day was circa 1945. It was hard on the muscles (so little of the work was actually automated), rough on the hands, and used a ton of water. I'll bet women consciously planned easier menus for Monday evenings just to give themselves a little less work after a long day over the wash tubs. And socializing on Monday nights. Forget about it! It wouldn't have been possible unless you had one of those new fully-automated postwar washing machines. Or a maid. And if you were able to afford hired help one day a week, it'd be Mondays.
9 comments:
Kudos to you! You should take pride in a job well done, no matter what it is. And yes, pampering yourself shouldn't be something that is thought of as "vain" or whatnot. You deserve it :D I'm loving the blog and can't wait to see how next week turns out.
I understand. Years ago, I told a woman I worked with about a sauce recipe I had recently tried. She looked at me very puzzled and asked why I didn't just buy it at the grocery store. *sighs*
I think this paragraph pretty much says it all:
Obviously, I don't think that's the case. But what's kind of nice is hearing that contrast. It makes me realize why I feel so good sitting down to a swell breakfast or crawling into a bed that's neat as a pin at the end of the day. I feel like I'm treating myself like a queen. Which I deserve! I haven't done that in a long time. And there's something about making my home a palace that makes me feel awfully good. So it's not just pride at work here. I would love to have found Mr. Right and to be making a home for my husband and children, but if that's not in the cards... I need to make a home for myself.
Yes, one could consider doing these things as pampering. Sadly, what we now call "pampering" used to be expected! Of COURSE we would make nutritious meals. Of COURSE we would keep a clean house.
Our society is all about throw-away, drive-thru, and just close the door on the mess.
A whole society like that. In less than 40 years.
Wow.
I'm so proud of you for this decision to learn about what we've lost.
Speaking of--what WAS it that prompted this whole experiment exactly. I'll go back and read your first post again, but I don't recall you giving the "aha" moment that prompted your journey.
Roxanne
Never mind! I went back and read your first post.
You've passed your 2 month anniversary for this go round!
Congratulations!
Roxanne
Aw, y'all are awesome! Thanks so much for all your comments and your interest.
:]
Roxanne, There was never really any "Aha!" moment for me when it came to the state of my household - just years of knowing that I ought to be doing things differently - but I definitely had an "Aha!" yesterday when I realized why it felt so good to be doing these chores. Blogging about it actually kinda forces that kind of reflection out of you, do you know what I mean?
In re: Monday menus, from what I have read and heard, Monday dinner was soup or stew. Something that could a) simmer on the stove all afternoon by itself and b) used leftovers from Sunday dinner.
I believe it! With aching muscles and a day of ironing awaiting you, I should think a low-prep meal would be just the thing on Monday nights.
Post a Comment