
Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday.
In this sing-song fashion, Caroline Ingalls taught her daughters in the 1870s how to assign each housekeeping task to a different day of the week. She must have been among countless 19th-century women who used the same saying to guide themselves in planning their housework. And though I'm not sure how long the saying has been around - probably in some fashion for centuries - this is the way Laura Ingalls Wilder remembered it when she wrote her first book, Little House in the Big Woods (1932).
For the '40s housewife raised in this tradition, Monday was Wash Day. This was rapidly becoming subject to debate, however:
It used to be a matter of pride to get the wash on the line as early Monday morning as possible. Now we wash on any day of the week and at any hour that is convenient. Sunday leaves an accumulation of work that must be done on Monday, and washing on that day is often too much of an extra burden. Tuesday is a far more sensible choice. And if weather, temperaments and schedules so dictate we can stretch washday over several days.
The 1947 Good Housekeeping manual also mentions the inconvenience of devoting Monday to the wash. Its authors suggest doing the laundry that requires ironing on Tuesday mornings - ironing it that very afternoon - and doing the laundry that doesn't require ironing (towels, underwear, etc.) on Thursdays. Despite all the debate - and despite their own misgivings - the authors of the 1945 manual end up including the wash on their "skeleton housekeeping schedule" for Mondays.
Late Forenoon (say between 10:00 a.m. and noon)
Washing, if done at home; if not, send laundry out.
Early Afternoon (between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m.)
Finish washing.
So that's my first mission for 2009. To add the Monday Wash to my housekeeping routine. Even though I'm not home during the day on Mondays, I'd like to share in this tradition in some way. I don't own a washer or dryer. There's a small laundromat in my apartment complex, but it's in high demand on weekday evenings, so I'm going to get up an hour earlier than normal on Monday mornings and get my laundry done before the sun comes up. This is something I started doing several months ago and the time of day has worked pretty well for me. No standing around waiting for others to come back and get their clean laundry. No washer stalking. (Those of you who've used a laundromat know exactly what I'm talking about!) It will definitely be a matter of discipline to get myself out of bed on a particular day every week.
3 comments:
What a great plan! It will feel very nice having your laundry done so early in the morning. It will be like getting a jump on the day.
I hang my laundry to dry. I use an umbrella dryer that I take down when the clothes are dry. It's compact for a small space unlike drying racks all over the house (which I've done, too). It also helps to add humidity to the air if you're in a dry climate like I am.
I don't like the "stiff" feel, so I put them in the dryer for 10 minutes (without heat) just to soften them up. It works well!
Roxanne
i used to love "Little house in the big woods" and that whole series...
Wedensday is my washing day...Thursday is for ironing
I've definitely gotten used to doing my laundry in the wee hours of the morning, what will be hard is making myself get up on the same day every week - no putting it off. I think the best thing I can do is to prep as much as possible on Sunday evenings. So my laundry is already sorted and waiting in a basket by the door with the detergent and a stack of quarters at the ready.
Roxanne, I like your idea with the umbrella dryer --- especially in using it as a kind of humidifier. My own apartment is awfully small, so there wouldn't really be any way to get away from the laundry while it was drying. I do miss hanging the laundry to dry outside. There's something very restful and thought-provoking about being outdoor with just a bucket of clothespins and clean, wet clothes. And a little dryer time to take the edge out of the towels and jeans is just right!
W-E, you've got your washing and ironing days one right after the next, just like Mrs. Ingalls!
Post a Comment