Sunday, May 3, 2009

Lighting Up



Have you cleaned your lighting fixtures lately?

One of the tasks at hand every week when I clean my bedroom - every other week when cleaning my kitchen - is dusting the lighting fixtures and washing them when necessary. In the bedroom, this is limited to just the single incandescent lighting fixture on my wall. I have two lighting fixtures in the kitchen --- a rectangular flourescent fixture near the sink and an incandescent globe in the ceiling fan. None of the fixtures is very hard to clean (though I could definitely use a sturdy step stool), but I haven't checked my manual yet to review the instructions on this task. Let's take a look...

A coating of dust on light bulbs and globes reduces the amount of light to a considerable degree. It is economical therefore, to keep bulbs and globes clean so that you get the amount of light you are paying for.

Before the fixtures themselves are cleaned, turn off the current and remove shades, bulbs, etc. Then use the dusting tool of the vacuum cleaner or a duster to clean the fixture.

Wipe the bulbs with a damp cloth, being careful not to get the metal section wet. Dry thoroughly. If the bulbs are extremely dirty, hold each one by the metal end and dip the glass in warm soapsuds. Rinse in clear water in the same fashion. Dry carefully with a clean soft cloth. Always be certain that the bulbs are perfectly dry before replacing them.

If the bulbs still look very dark after they have been cleaned, they should be replaced with new ones.

Did the authors of the manual intend that this advice should apply to cleaning flourescent bulbs as well? I leafed through the chapter on lighting in the home and the word "flourescent" is never referenced. They do mention "recessed tubular lighting" being especially handy above the kitchen sink. Flourescents were just becoming available to American consumers, but the manual seems to ignore them - only advising its readers on how to deal with bulbs with a single metal end.

If I could add one bit of advice to the manual, it would be this: be sure the light bulb is thoroughly cooled before you even attempt to remove it from the fixture! I haven't yet cleaned any of my light bulbs, but I touched one by accident while dusting the fixture. Ouch. The light fixture in my bedroom gets dusted with a rag and washed with soap and water once a week. The bulb in this case is not enclosed, so it could probably use a washing itself once a month. I've been dusting the globe in my kitchen ceiling fan, but keep forgetting about the flourescent fixture. The bulbs inside both these fixtures should be virtually free of dust as they're both enclosed. One of these weeks, I would like to clean the blades of the ceiling fan when I'm dusting the globe. They're very dirty. I'm not sure how often that'll have to be done, but I'm sure the maintenance won't be too tough after I clean them the first time.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

yes, a tubular bulb is a flourescent and once in a while you can still find them, I imagine you can order them at lighting stores

Packrat said...

The long flourescent tubes in my kitchen get disgustingly filthy. They get greasy and/or steamy and then dirt and bugs stick to them. Use warm soapy water and a rag and maybe even a soft plastic "scratcher" to clean them. Don't dip them in water. Again make sure they are completely dry before reinserting them.

I cannot imagine trying to take down the lights once a week - especially by yourself.

Please have someone (your sister?) help when you do this. Okay?

Glove Slap said...

I've found dusting them with a feather duster regularly is sufficient. You can attach it to a broom handle to keep from having to use a ladder (I think the danger of falling outweighs the benefits of the exercise).

Thanks for the gingerbread recipe, too!

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Jitterbug-

I don't know if this is true for the long fluorescent tubes, but if you have any compact fluorescent bulbs in your home, be sure and wipe them off well with a clean cloth after touching them. The oil from your hands can shorten their life if left on the bulb when it it turned back on.

Jitterbug said...

Jeanne, thanks for the head's up. Don't you love that Circline ad!

Oh, I'm not taking down the lights every week to clean them... I dust them in situ. The fixture in my bedroom is mounted on the wall instead of the ceiling, so that's very easy to get to. Thanks for the tips on cleaning flourescent tubes, Packrat. Luckily, my kitchen flourescents are enclosed in such a way that they don't seem to accumulate any dead bugs or anything. Thank goodness! I think that fixture could easily be left for seasonal cleaning.

Glove Slap, great idea! I do need to pick out a duster to use in dusting my ceilings - yep, that's coming up soon - so that tool may come in handy as well.

Hairball, I bet a feather duster would come in handy for those compact flourescents... Look at me, trying to give out cleaning advice!