Wood or metal furniture that is finished with good quality washable paint is easy to care for. Of course it must be dusted regularly with a clean, soft untreated duster, and occasionally it will benefit by damp dusting with a soft cloth wrung almost dry of clear lukewarm water.
Excessive soil may be removed with mild scouring powder... or with a good commercial paint cleaner.
I'm not sure how durable the coat of paint on this piece is, but it is flaking off a bit on the drawer knobs. So I'm thinking it's probably not the sturdiest of paint jobs! I think I'll make that "damp dusting" a seasonal job rather than trying to do it on even a monthly basis... Here's another of the chores recommended on an as needed basis for bedroom furnishings:
Polish metal hardware if necessary.
While I tie on an apron and scurry off to work, I'll leave you with some pictures of American bedrooms of the era.


This last is a 1944 photograph of a bedroom in an Indianapolis home lovingly cared for by the mother of a gunner's mate in the Navy, gone to war. How carefully she must have worked as she moved about this one room - dusting, polishing, plumping the pillows...
9 comments:
These bedrooms don't look much different than the bedrooms I had and saw when I was growing up. People didn't have the money to change styles at every whim. Thanks for the trip back to my childhood. :)
damp dusting should be okay... i was surprised at how much stuff i wiped off my doors when I wipe them down... almost like getting a new pain job...
Those bedrooms are so sweet. I really like chenille bedspreads.
Girl in Pix#1: Your grampa called and he wants his butt back.
On a less-snarky note, I can remember all the bedrooms in my grandmother's house (early 60's) with those chenille bedspreads.
I love how the curtains are hung in the last bedroom! Great pictures.
♥Darla
Aren't they lovely rooms? Simple and spare, but somehow so homey. I love the pull for the shades with the circle at the bottom, and the curtains are so pretty. It's amazing what a great window treatment can do for a room.
What pretty rooms! Only I noticed only one room has anything on the walls . I think it is a teenagers bedroom. Curtains and bedspreads add a sweet touch.
The rooms are great. I remember sleeping in one of those twin beds at my Great Aunts home as a child. I loved it especially with the pink and white striped flannel bottom sheet ( not fitted kind ). When I was first married we had a double bed like those from my Grandmothers attic. I saw your chenille and got mine out of the cedar trunk. I love it and will keep it on for the summer. :)
Mrs. Tailleur, Nothing on the walls = less things to dust! :)
Jeanne, I love the metal headboards and foot boards. My dad and his siblings slept in beds like that when they were growing up in the '50s. My new chenille bedspread smells very slightly of smoke, so I'm airing it and will probably give it a wash in the delicate cycle, too. The look of it is very similar to the bedspreads in these pictures!
Post a Comment