
I made the first of my newly extended walks early this morning at the park - four laps around the track instead of three. By the end of the fourth lap, I was sweating like crazy. Partly because it was already getting hot, but partly because I was feeling the burn. By the time my car was in sight, I had to really force myself to move those feet and finish the thing. The whole ordeal took me 52 minutes, so I can check off my 45-minute workout for the day. Whew! That's the most exercise I've gotten in years!
The only thing that truly frustrates me when I'm walking at the park is thinking about all the workout opportunities I've wasted over the years because I was too self-conscious to get out there and walk by myself. I would tell myself things like, "If my sister and I could just figure out a good time of day to get out there and walk together." I'm not sure what made me so self-conscious to begin with, because there are oodles of people working out by themselves and probably an even split between people who are fit and trim and people who really have some work to do - like me! Lots of older folks working hard to maintain their health, lots of people walking dogs, lots of moms (or dads) trying to get back in shape. My super self-conscious self has always been an obstacle when it comes to working out in public, but I gotta tell you - if anybody at the park even gives me a second thought, they're probably thinking, "Good for her. Keep it up!" There's a feeling of camraderie there, even as all of these people propel themselves individually around the track at their own paces. We may be strangers and most of us may be rocking out to one thing or another on our iPods, but it's as if we're all a mutual encouragement to one another by getting out there and fighting the good fight.
One thing I'd really like to find is a great pair of cropped workout pants. Shorts always ride up between my legs as I'm walking and I'm constantly having to pull them down. My longer track pants are fine, but they're starting to feel a little warm for this climate - even at 7:15 in the morning. And though I've never really had a desire for one before this, I'd really like to have an iPod myself. Especially on these longer walks when something interesting to listen to could really make the walk go by a little faster. Hey, maybe I could even upload some of my vintage radio episodes and just replace them with new episodes once I've listened to them!
Speaking of radio, I listened to the episode of The Great Gildersleeve the other day which was originally broadcast on December 7, 1941. The program then aired on NBC Red on Sunday evenings at 6:30 Eastern, 3:30 Pacific. In other words, it's only been about five hours since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor began and only four hours since word of the attack first went out over the radio networks. What's striking to me on this momentous day is just how calm the announcer and cast seem as they go on with the show. The network had not cut away to 24-hour coverage, instead they interrupted the program five times to broadcast a bulletin. The program itself was performed in the studio from beginning to end, but the network cut away from the feed several times for just a minute or so at a time.
The program was broadcast from Hollywood, so the cast and studio audience are much closer to the scene of the battle than were folks on the East Coast. And yet they seem so cool and collected, no signs of emotion or anxiety. I guess most Americans had already accepted the fact that they would be entering the war at some point. They'd listened to news of the war in Europe and in China for more than two years now. They'd seen their country mobilizing, neighborhood boys being drafted, and defense bonds being sold. Americans were mentally much better prepared for the war than they would have been had the attack on Pearl Harbor taken place in 1938 or 1939. Then again, maybe the networks weren't reporting just how devastating the attack had been. They certainly don't give any indication of the number of American lives lost and ships destroyed. The news bulletins are striking in their crisp matter-of-factness, but they are guarded. They also report some optimistic developments that later proved to have been rumors, such as a Japanese aircraft carrier being sunk off Honolulu by American forces. I guess most people listening to the news probably pictured a much more evenly matched battle taking place than was the case.
Oh, I almost forgot. Here's that wartime Gingerbread recipe I promised I'd share a few days ago. Tomorrow's vintage dinner has another wartime dessert recipe in store!

Gingerbread
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup molasses
1 cup molasses
Sift dry ingredients together. Melt shortening in boiling water. Add molasses. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Place in a greased (8-inch) baking pan and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 30 to 40 minutes.
11 comments:
Thank you for the recipe. I'll give it a try.
I completely understand about the self-conscienousness business. I wouldn't go the the workout center, because of all the "skinny" people who literally stared when I walked in. I should have just ignored them; I'd be much better off today.
I have that self consciousness issue myself. I don't know why we always seem to think we are the center of attention. No one gives a 2nd thought to someone who is alone.
I'm dealing with this issue for the cruise I'm going to be going solo on. I don't want to go eat alone in the dinning room. I know everyone will be so busy having a good time that no one is going to sit and stare at me or talk about me. Yet, I can't shake the feeling.
I went years without going to see a lot of the movies I wanted to see because others wouldn't be able to go with me. Then one time my brother talked me into going alone and I've never looked back. If someone can't go I go alone.
Same with travel. I'm tired of waiting for others or missing out so I'm going alone.
I guess the only way to get over our fears is to do them.
You are right, whenever I see someone out exercising alone or if they need to lose weight I ALWAYS say or think "good for them".
So Good for YOU.
Hugs,
Joanne
Wow, I really identify with you, feeling too self-conscious t exercise! The only gym I ever liked was a public one in a neighborhood where I used to live. There was this hipster girl who would come work out dressed like a goth punky brewster with full makeup, and all these Orthodox Jewish ladies who'd work out in full skirt suits, hats, wigs and stockings, even in summer. So I didn't feel like anyone was looking at me.
Your comment about pants makes me wonder-- do you dress 1940's style?
Thanks for all your encouragement in following your struggle to lose weight. It has been a great asset to my trying to improve myself. You are right, I too delay as I do not want to walk alone and it is a pitty when I live in such a beautiful country area. YOU GO GIRL!
Love the old radios i have my Grandfathers.
While not vinatge, another great thing to upload to an iPod is books on tape! I love to read but can't do it when I'm working out, so that's a great alternative. Also, iPod nanos now have space for about 2,000 songs and they run fairly cheap at around $140. I'll bet they may even have a sale coming up on Memorial Day!
Packrat, doesn't it just figure that self-consciousness can keep us from doing the very thing that could help make us less self-consicous...
Joanne, good for you for going on that cruise anyway! I take this is one with an open seating arrangement for meals. I know exactly what you mean about movies and travel. Most people have built in partners for all these things! Thanks so very much for all the support. :)
Glove Slap, I don't dress '40s style. Yet. I've still got one foot firmly planted in the 21st century. Maybe one day... I would like to apply some vintage ideals when it comes to dressing to modern clothing.
Jeanne, how lucky you are to have your grandfather's radio! I'm jealous that you have such a lovely area to walk in, though I think I have an element of safety in working out at a track where there's always other people around. Walking along down long country roads might not always feel safe.
Amber, thanks for the tip on sales! My boss gave me a small bonus last week and I've got it earmarked for a few investments in my workout.
Where do you get your radio program downloads? I'd love to listen to some as I knit. :)
Keep up the good work with your walking. It won't be long before you see results in your muscles toning and firming.
Target is a great resource for work out clothes. In yesterday's (Sunday)sale ad, I noticed that knee lenght work out shorts were on sale.
Another tip - wear the really tight bike style shorts under your crop pants or shorts - this will also help with "riding up" and chafing.
Gina, I don't download my radio programs individually. I buy the collections on disc in mp3 format. You can get like 100 30-minute episodes on a single disc for $5 or less. Here's a link to my favorite vendor:
http://www.otrcat.com/
lastmango2, thanks so much for the tips on exercise clothes. I tell ya, it's been a looooooong time since I've even set foot in that part of the store!
Archive.org also has some good radio downloads and its free. If you are home and want to listen to streaming OTR, Antioch is great: radio.macinmind.com. Also, if you want to go the audio book route, most public libraries have good collections of audio books and some that you can even download right from the library website. You should see what your library has. If you want something but can't find it locally, you can also try using Interlibrary Loan through your public library. You can get anything from any library around the nation.
I'm amazed to hear how calm the actors were after the Pearl Harbor attack. Perhaps they felt it was their duty to stay calm in order to calm their listeners; to give them a bit of escape? As far as the information newscaster were giving out, I know that Britain was very strict as to how much information they revealed. They wanted to keep Germany in the dark as to how they were being effected by their attacks. The same might be true for us. Loose lips sink ships.
I need to see if I have that Gildy episode in my collection to listen to it. Thanks for writing about it.
Great point about the US not wanting to give too much away to enemies listening in! FYI, the episode of TGG aired on that date is "Cousin Octavia Visits."
Post a Comment