Parsley Potatoes
Baked Broccoli
Lettuce and Tomato Salad
Coconut Blanc Mange
Cherry Sauce
I guess the good thing about a dish like Baked Broccoli is that it makes a simpler broccoli recipe look absolutely lovely in comparison. There are so many lighter and more flavorful things you can do with an easygoing veggie like this one. The Parsley Potatoes were tasty as always. The Lettuce and Tomato Salad was a surprise! I had only glanced at the recipe before Sunday and didn't get a full picture of what was in store for me. Very Art Deco... like shiny, little, red domes on the salad plate...
**********
Lettuce and Tomato Salad
3 Tomatoes
Lettuce leaves
6 tablespoons French dressing
Scald the tomatoes, remove the skins and chill the tomatoes. Just before serving time, cut them in halves, crosswise, and place one piece, with the outside upward, on each serving-plate with one or two leaves of white, crisp lettuce underneath. Pour over each portion a tablespoon of French dressing.
**********
The Coconut Blanc Mange was, well, meh. Kind of a soft, bland pudding with the coconut doing must of the job at holding it all together. It might've been a little better if made with whole milk. Or maybe a dash of coconut extract. My Cherry Sauce was a miserable failure. It never really thickened and the ingredients didn't meld. Well, it's probably for the best that I'm not discovering fabulous new desserts these days!
Today marks the second day of my new water regime. I set the goal for this mission at eight 8-ounce glasses per day as that seems to be the gold standard when it comes to H2O. Apparently, that rule of thumb has been around for awhile. Dr. Walter H. Eddy, a professor of physiological chemistry, was interviewed for a newspaper article in July 1940 and advised that adults drink two quarts of water per day to maintain optimum health. What do you know, two quarts = 64 ounces!
After using a measuring cup marked with ounces to determine how much water the various glasses in my cabinet held, I figure I was probably drinking about 40 ounces per day before this mission. I downed 64 ounces yesterday without much difficulty, but I'm not there yet today and the day is short. I think I've just got to remind myself --- when I'm thirsty, reach for water first.
The Evening Independent's Alicia Hart weighed in on this very topic in December 1943:
Few of us ever drink the eight glasses of water a day which are recommended for health and a clear complexion. Maybe it's the idea of eight glasses all together that appalls us. But properly spaced throughout the day, eight glasses are not as many as you imagine.
For instance, petal-skinned film star Gene Tierney, who has just kept a date with the stork but will be back at the studios very shortly, makes a habit of having a tall glass of warm water with a half lemon squeezed in it before breakfast each morning.
If you like, add a teaspoonful of mineral honey - clover or alfalfa - to make it more palatable. It's a marvelous morning pick-up and a boon to clearer, smoother complexions.
And when you feel hungry in the middle of the day, yet you know very well that you ate a substantial enough lunch, drink a tumbler of water. It'll fill the void and you'll be just one more glass to the good.
Also, if you've been trying to lose weight, drink a glass before lunch or dinner and you won't want to eat so much. No, actually, eight glasses a day aren't too hard to take at all.

8 comments:
After drinking your water, refill and leave a full glass on the counter. Later, when you wander into the kitchen, you'll have a ready-to-go glass of water to drink. The full-glass-as-a-reminder helps keep me hydrated. Otherwise I forget and wonder why I'm so parched late in the day.
awesome picture, smokin' nightgown
Hi there,
Just leaving a comment to mention that you should be careful with the water, too much can actually poison you (but thats only if you have it in quick sucession, which I am sure you are not doing!)
I don't quite know how American measures figure, but the recommended medical advice is 2 litres per day - what a lot of people don't realise is that this amount includes embodied water within food. Which actually makes it quite a bit less than 2 litres for drinking :)
Apologies if that was boring, but my partner works in health care so I just thought I would share!
- Sera
I would kill for that nightgown! (Though I wouldn't actually be able to fit into it without losing another 70 lbs. At least.) That's one thing to look forward to - vintage clothing. And by the time I get there, I should be well trained in stain removal and laundering fine linens, etc. Ready to take good care of beautiful clothing!
Sunflower Stitchery, thanks so much for the tip. Having that water right at hand makes a difference. I like my tap water ice cold these days, so I try to at least keep an empty glass within sight as a reminder! :)
Seraphim, I'm not sure how litres translate to quarts/ounces. I have read that the medical community recommends here in the U.S. a slight bit more than 64 ounces per day, so I figure I'm probably getting that in my food. Shooting for about 64 ounces in drinking water alone should put me just about in the right place. I did read of one poor woman in the UK who died from overdosing on water while dieting! I'll keep an eye on this. As long as I don't have that dreadful waterlogged feeling, I'm probably doing okay...
I would drink a million glasses of water if it would make me look like Gene Tierney!
You and me both, Amanda! She's so pretty. :)
"just kept a date with the stork"...love it
A very delicate way of mentioning it! Celebrity gossip and beauty advice all in one...
Post a Comment