39 ounces down, 25 to go!
You know, one of the side benefits to drinking all this water on a daily basis is that I'm going to be drinking less of the other things I'd normally drink to quench my thirst. Like Vitamin Water. I love this stuff, and - truth be told - it's not nearly as bad for me as some of the other things I used to drink. Like Pepsi or Gatorade or Coffee Coolattas. Vitamin Water contains 125 calories to a 20-ounce bottle, and I'd guess I was drinking about 1 1/2 bottles per day before I started on the water. I haven't sworn off Vitamin Water, but I do have a quota when it comes to the real stuff and that competitive edge in me feels driven to make that quota every day. So it's water first - and by the time I make my quota it's bedtime and I'm not thirsty any longer. That's 185-190 calories a day I'm turning away. Hey, that's gonna add up --- more than 1,300 calories a week, more than 5,200 calories per month. YIKES!!! I'd better stop. I'm freaking myself out!
The weather is really heating up here in the American Southwest and, with it, my routine is adapting a bit. I can only keep the windows open from about 11 p.m. 'til 7:00 a.m. Which puts a crimp on all the fresh air I'm used to putting to work for me when it comes to housework. I can't open the windows to air out my mattress when I'm changing the bed linens on Thursday evenings. I just hung my quilt and blanket and pillows outside to air on the landing, but it's still in the high 80s, so I know they won't feel quite as fresh and crisp afterwards as they used to... On the plus side, if I put a freshly washed garbage can or wet bucket out there on a sizzling Saturday afternoon, it's dry in a flash!
Now I understand how housewives in four-season climates must have felt when after being cooped up indoors all winter they threw open the windows and dragged everything outdoors for a breath of fresh air. Beating the dust out of carpets, cleaning out fireplaces, letting the sun shine in on even the darkest corners of the house. Things just work a little backwards here. Think how happy I'll be come December!
The biggest change with these temperatures is that I've taken part of my weekday walk indoors. There's a basketball stadium about a ten-minute walk from where I work and the building is open during the day to walkers. You can walk laps around the stadium on one of the upper tiers and savor that lovely air conditioning. What it means is that I'm spending about 20 minutes in the broiling hot sun in order to get to and from the stadium - where I only have time to spend about 10 minutes! - but even taking 10 minutes off the time I have to spend in the noonday sun is worth it. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to make this work. Maybe a month. But what matters is getting it done now. I'll let next month worry about itself for a change.
3 comments:
Wow! what we girls have to do to get in shape. Proud of you for your effors. It really shows your commitment. Maybe durring that 10 min. air condition walk you could step it up a bit and make that your vigorous part of the walk. Next pay day I am buying sneekers and getting serious. Thanks again.
I, too, need to finally 'make the choice' to follow a better diet. For me, having to post pics of myself on my blog is sort of pushing me forward, as I want to see the progress, maybe by the years end I could make a flip book and be happy with the change. Good luck and keep it up. Also, boy do fruit juices, sodas, and so called 'health water' have calories galore. And wouldn't you rather use them in if something to eat than drink? I know I would.
Jeanne, that's a great idea --- making the trips to and fro' the stadium my warm up and cool down and really pushing it while I'm in the air conditiong. Sneakers that fit well can make all the difference. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
50sgal, posting pictures sounds like a great way of keeping yourself accountable. I'm thankful that having to make my water quota kind of naturally keeps me from drinking the other stuff. Especially with the change in temperatures here. All the heat makes me extra thirsty, and I'd rather take care of that without any calories along the way!
Post a Comment