Monday, May 11, 2009

She's Engaged!



Eek! I think I've been using my cold cream improperly!!!

I've been doing a little research in preparation for my next vintage beauty mission and came across a 1947 magazine advertisement for Pond's. You know the type: She's Engaged! She's Lovely! She uses Pond's! The bride of the moment was Priscilla Thompson, "one of Chicago's fashionable young set" and soon to be the wife of a Navy veteran. Along with a close-up shot of Priscilla's engagment ring, the ad describes in detail her twice-daily cold cream regimen:

Rouse face with warm water. Dip deep into Pond's Cold Cream. Swirl it on your receptively moist, warm skin in little creamy "engagement ring" circles up over your face and throat. Tissue off... Swirl about 25 more creamy Pond's circlets over your face. Tissue well. Tingle with cold water. Blot dry.

How come nobody told me all these years that the secret to landing Mr. Right was swirling cold cream onto my face twice a day in creamy engagement ring circlets?

In all seriousness, I had no idea you were supposed to "tissue off" the cold cream! I've been rinsing it off my face with warm water all this time... All that bridal freshness down the drain.

15 comments:

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Oh this is the funniest! Honestly -- tissuing off cold cream makes me shudder! Ditto for the term "cold cream"! :)

I'm with you - I'd go with rinsing! :)

What a fun blog this is!

Ruth

aurelia said...

I'm astonished you've been getting any off with just rinsing. Use a washcloth or a flannel soaked in hot water to wipe it away.

Tissuing comes from a time of doing your beauty routine at the vanity table, away from a source of water.

Didn't you ever use Noxema as a teenager? It's the same thing.

Stephanie said...

I once used a cleanser that I can tissue off, but I use a clean washcloth instead of a tissue. I feel it gets it all off better and it leaves my skin feeling very nice. Plus tissues today have lots of stuff added to them that I don't want on my face. You would need the plain old tissues without lotion.

Sage said...

When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to tissue off my make-up with Pond's Cold Cream after my ballet recitals. I couldn't stand the way it felt and didn't want to grow up because then I'd have to tissue off my make-up.

Luckily when I finally did grow up, I realized that rinsing (and not using cold cream at all) was an option :)

I love your blog!

mrs. c said...

what a riot, i love it! i have some great old 1940's womans day, and family circle, etc magazines i bought on ebey awhile back, they have all kinds of crazy stuff too, love your website!

Glove Slap said...

VOMIT!!! But yeah, tissue it off. And then you might want to go over with a washcloth dipped in steaming-hot water and wrung out.

Amber said...

Truthfully I use a warm washcloth to give myself a little exfoliation. I think it gives me just as much "engaged glow" as tissuing it off would!

BY the way, I love the "creamy engagement ring circles." Think they were trying to send young girls a message??

Jitterbug said...

Truth be told, I used "toilet tissue" (the double quilted kind!) this morning and it wasn't that cringeworthy. Just enough cold cream residue left on my face to continue moisturizing the skin. Now if I was removing scads of make-up (which I'm not), I'd definitely want to wash it all away with warm water and a washcloth.

aurelia.donka, I have been using a washcloth, not just water. Your comment about "doing your beauty routine at the vanity table" reminds me of that photo in one of my posts last week. The girl with the braids who was using cold cream. She, too, was sitting at a vanity --- so it would have made more sense to use tissue than to use a dripping washcloth. I wish I had room for a vanity in my bedroom!

Sage, your comment cracks me up! The horror of getting your face all cold creamed and tissued off!!

Packrat said...

Laugh out loud. Sorry, but that ad just about did me in.

Jitterbug said...

BTW, Amber, most of the ads for cosmetics and toiletries from this era are totally selling them as tools for winning dates and husbands. In the same way that today's ads are about selling the idea that we can all be celebrities, I guess. Being an unmarried woman in my 30s isn't much fun in 2009 --- in the 1940s, it must have been miserable socially. (I did find myself this morning trying to make little engagement ring circles all over my face!)

Jeanne said...

Oh girls your all so funny in a good way! the tissue off thing really works. My Great Aunt used this as a pm routine and I remember her teaching it to me and she had the most beautiful skin even at 85 years old. Working ten years in a nursing home I noticed the women who had the most youthful skin were the ones who did the same as their bedtime routine. The idea is to have enough left behind to moisten the skin over night. Cold cream is an excellant cleanser and I have used it to remove filth from my hands that soap would not such as marker and grease from mechanical projects etc. I admit I have not been faithful to the routine but that has slowly been changing. i follow it more and more as the years pile on. If it leaves too much behind then do a quick rinse. Washing it all down the drain will not keep the wrinkels away. I do not get the feeling you are a big makeup wearer any way.

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I usually only use cold cream to get stubborn make up off or if I feel my face is dry, after reading this post I think I will have to start making this a nightly routine. Another wonderful post as always.
♥Darla

Jitterbug said...

Jeanne, the story about your great-aunt is lovely... I can totally see what you mean about leaving behind enough of the cold cream to let it continue moisturizing your face. I think if I were using this for makeup removal, I'd probably rinse off the first batch (along with the makeup), then repeat - and this time just remove with a tissue.

Darla, isn't there something wonderfully feminine about having nightly beauty rituals?

Mrs G said...

Oh boy, I saw the title of this post and I thought you were sharing some of your own news!!!

Jitterbug said...

Well, now, that would be an exciting turn of events! I guess I'll have to master these little "engagement ring circles" if I'd like to post a pic of my own ring someday...