Sunday, May 10, 2009

"Lady, Better Lose Those Hips!"



I wish I could tell you that my workouts leave me energized and full of pep, but they don't. At two weeks, I was feeling a new spring in my step. At four weeks, I'm just feeling all broken down. My lower back aches. My left knee feels a little sore. And I had forgotten just how painful 100-degree weather can be. Going outdoors at noon these days feels like climbing inside an oven. (Those lunchtime walks are going to have to shift indoors next week!) I'm hanging in there because I'm seeing results, but the last week has not been easy. I keep wishing I'll get to this magical point when I look forward to my walks. When I can't wait to get out there and move! Nope, still torture.

There are a few things I've begun doing to try and make these walks a little easier on my body. I have been remembering to wear a baseball cap - even at 7:00 in the morning on the weekends - so at least I don't have to worry any longer about getting my scalp or forehead sunburned. I purchased some SPF 55 sunblock this weekend to protect my neck and arms, particularly on those mid-day walks. My knees and back would probably appreciate my bringing some socks and sneakers to work for the week so those lunchtime workouts can be a little easier on my joints. And I've been putting it off, but I really should be doing some stretching after my walks.

Yesterday, I did some looking about online for tips on stretching. What a surprise to learn that you're not supposed to stretch before a walk! Apparently, you can really injure yourself by stretching cold muscles like that. You're supposed to warm the muscles by walking at an easy pace for awhile before speeding up to a brisk pace. The ideal walk should end by doing another stretch at an easy pace, then some simple stretches for the legs, lower back, and shoulders. I'm no personal trainer, so I'll just refer you to one of many interesting websites on this subject. I tried the first three stretches myself after my walk this morning:

http://www.helium.com/items/455379-best-stretches-before-walking-for-exercise

Alas, I haven't been able to find much in the way of vintage advice on post-walk stretching. Lots of advice on stretching for better posture - and lots and lots of "limbering" exercises - but nothing specific to flexing and relaxing the muscles used in a good, brisk walk. 1940s beauty experts acknowledged that walking was an effective way to trim the figure, but they didn't treat it quite as scientifically as they did most things. Betty Clark had a few recommendations in a women's page article titled "Lady, Better Lose Those Hips!" (St. Petersburg Times, September 24, 1943):

Walking, which is the best hip-slimmer known, is pretty difficult to do by the mile when time is at a premium, especially today - unless you are fortunate enough to walk to and from your daily work. This doesn’t mean strolling. Walking, to be effective, should be at a brisk, steady pace.

It is wise to exercise in the morning upon arising. Otherwise, you may find yourself too tired for exertion in the evening.


In a 1940 column, Miss Clark advised wearing sensible shoes when walking for sport --- and, by all means, put some "knee action" into your walk "for the sake of grace"! Helen Follett, another beauty expert of the era, wrote in 1940:

The thigh bulge comes to women who sit at their desks, typewriters or sewing tables all day. They don't get enough exercise to keep the muscles strong. Fibers grow slack, adipose tissue builds up. Squatting exercises are helpful, so is high kicking. Walking at a brisk pace is recommended.


Something that's been troubling me lately is that so many of my shirts are ending up with grease stains. Just one stain per shirt (always in the chest area), but it's enough to make them unsuitable for anything but wearing at home. I'm not sure why I don't notice it when it happens, but by the time I do - usually at the ironing board - it's too late. The shirt has been through the wash, and the stain is set. And it's not that I've been doing that much cooking with hot oil. I'm not sure why I'm ending up with all the grease stains. I guess it's just that I'm cooking more in general. Even scrambling eggs or making an omelet means I'm working over spattering grease. Several shirts later, it's finally occurred to me that there's a reason women used to wear those full aprons with the placket covering the chest. They weren't just for looks! And the half aprons that I usually wear don't do the job. From now on, it's full aprons for me... I've got two of them, and I'm looking for a place in my kitchen where I can keep them within arms' reach. No excuses. I can't afford to keep buying new shirts!!!

It's Sunday, which means it's time for another 1945 dinner. Here's my menu for tonight:

Parsley Potatoes
Baked Broccoli
Lettuce and Tomato Salad
Coconut Blanc Mange
Cherry Sauce

From everything I've heard about Blanc Mange, I'm a little creeped out. I think I'll make as small a batch of dessert tonight as possible!

12 comments:

Packrat said...

Hint for getting out set in stains: if the clothes were expensive take them to the dry cleaners (if they're dry cleanable). The stains should come out. If the clothes are washable and not terribly expensive, buy some Zout. (Sometimes Spray n Wash works, too, but it stinks and is difficult to get it rinsed out.) Air dry the clothes to make sure the stain is gone, if not, treat and wash again.

As to not feeling the pep: do you need an iron supplement? Just a thought.

The Gossiper said...

Another tip for getting out grease stains is cornstarch or baby powder. Sprinkle a bit onto the area (fresh is best, but you can always try it later) allow it to sit for awhile, and then press the area gently with a press cloth. It worked wonders on a new dress last week when I forgot to put my apron on.

Dish soap, particularly dawn can also be effective as can hand degreaser that mechanics use.

Jitterbug said...

You mean it's possible to get grease stains out after they're set? I figured these shirts were just a lost cause. Fortunately, they're not expensive pieces. I'll definitely try these things out and see if I can do some CPR.

Packrat, I had my bloodwork done a few months ago and everything (including iron) was perfect except for my magnesium level, which was elevated. I think the lack of pep is just part-and-parcel of carrying 65 unnecessary lbs. around. In the heat, no less. I hope that'll naturally disappear with the weight. :)

Jeanne said...

One reason joints hurt in hot weather is dehydration. One does not have to be thursty to already be in a dehydrated state. Drink more water in general, so you are prepared for your walks.

I have problems with grease stains too. I do not know how I get so many but I too plan on sewing a full apron for the same reason. baking soda and water pre soak helps and if it has not gone through the dryer it is not set. The cornstarch works great too. If you washed and line dried it, you can also try placing it over a bucket or bowl streaching it and then pour boiling water through the stain. I have a friend that uses this method as she works with olive oil regularly. Another friend swears by Bizz pre soak. She always looks fabulous. Yes, Dawn has worke for me also.

Piroska said...

I totally feel for you in the hot weather, we had a really hot summer this year in Australia, and it was a killer. Good on you for keeping up the walking!

Jitterbug said...

Jeanne, great point about dehydration! I bet you're right on the money. Alas, these shirts have already gone thru the dryer, so some of those remedies probably won't help at this point. I wish I could just become more aware of stains as soon as they happen.

Piroska, thank you for the sympathy! The heat is certainly going to be a challenge for me when it comes to working out, but I'll have to find ways to work around it.

Teru said...

Baked Broccoli? Is it like a casserole or just baked instead of boiled or steamed?

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I always love reading your posts. I love all the old facts and quotes you use.
♥Darla

Anonymous said...

I have a few shirts with grease stains that never came out and I made them out-of-the-house wearable by covering them up. Depending on where the stain is, you can add a small pocket, a little decorative patch, or even embroider a well=placed design to conceal it. This types of tricks is something many 40s women would employ to extend the life of their clothing.

Hairball T. Hairball said...

Jitterbug,

I've been able to remove some grease spots on clothing that went through the drier so I'd go ahead and try some of the tips your readers have suggested.

You might also get a bar of Fels Naptha and try that. Hopefully you can find it in your area so you don't have to order it online like I do! Try looking where your store has the bar soaps, and also with the cleaning and laundry products.

I seem to remember 50'sgal using some of her pine oil based all- purpose cleaner to remove oily spots. Maybe check with her for some tips?

Please let us know how it turns out for you!

Shay said...

A relative of mine once commented snidely to her daughter (in my hearing) that aprons were a sign of bondage.

I was wearing an apron at the time. I remarked sweetly that it was a shame to go through life carrying that kind of emotional baggage; but I wore aprons because I was a sloppy cook.

Jitterbug said...

*snort* I'd say the real sign of bondage was being unable to remove spots and stains from your clothes and being forced to replace them. Good comeback on your part, Shay!

Teru, the Baked Broccoli is a casserole-type dish. Much too rich for my taste, but more on that in tomorrow's post.

Darla, I'm so glad you enjoy my blog! I do love the bits from vintage magazines and newspapers. Such great - and sensible advice - we could still benefit from...

16_sparrows, thanks for the idea about patches and pockets! The shirts I've stained so far have all been T shirts - the kind of thing I'd wear around the house on a Sunday evening when I'm cooking. Fortunately, I guess! I haven't wrecked anything I was really disappointed about yet, just frustrated.

Hairball, I sure have seen lots of ads for Fels Naptha in these '40s magazines! I'm glad you've had some stain removing success on the post-drier front. I'll keep y'all posted.