Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Intervention

The scales giveth and the scales taketh away.

I stepped on the scale this morning for my weekly weigh-in and found myself right back there at 192. Yep, the same 192 I thought I'd left in the dust a week ago! I'm trying not to panic. That's my first instinct. "You mean to tell me I've been exercising for nothing for the last two weeks!" "OMG, I'll just have to stop eating. Yes, that's it. I'll fast." Fear takes over (followed shortly by quitting the whole thing altogether), but no longer. I don't have the luxury of playing that old routine out once again. This may be a setback, but I know I'm on the right path to success. It just means that it's time for a mid-mission intervention, effective right away.

Fitness
Walk 30 minutes a day, four times during the week. Walk 45 minutes a day, both days during the weekend.

Reducing
This time, I'm adding something: eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Let's see if this - in concert with all of the other guidelines I've placed on my eating - can't help me naturally eat a little less each day.

9 comments:

Glove Slap said...

Man, I know the feeling. On Sunday, I weighed myself, and I had finally succeeded in losing 10 pounds. On Monday, according to the scale, I had apparently put 5 pounds back on. How can such a thing happen!?! I do not understand it and I don't know what I should do. I guess eating right and exercising is like being moral. I should do it for its own sake and stop thinking about whether it makes sense or not. Cause I can always think of a reason NOT to do it, but the bottom line is I know the difference between right and wrong.

Stephanie said...

It's probably just temporary water retention. Keep at it and it will all work out. How are your clothes fitting? Often that is the true test. If you've got a pair of jeans you can measure your success that way without the dreaded scale. Pick a tight pair and see how they fit every couple of weeks. If they are a bit looser, your plan is working.

Darla: Retro Ways said...

You are doing so great dont go by the scales go by how your clothes fits thats what I do. I hate looking at the scale I feel like my weight never changes if I check it daily but once I start waiting and checking it every week or 2 I have managed to lose a couple pounds. Good luck hun stay strong.
♥Darla

Packrat said...

Yes, stay with it. You are doing great! Drink the water. If it is really hot, you may need a sports drink of some kind to give you the salt you sweat out. (Would anyone be willing to share a recipe for a home made sports drink?) Also, remember you are building up muscle. No panicking allowed; no fasting allowed. On that note, I sure wish I could motivate myself.

Teru said...

You might be building muscle which is going to weigh more. Definitely go by how your clothes fit for a while.

Still, you're doing really well! I'm inspired to get my butt out and walk after work today.

Jitterbug said...

Glove Slap, I guess at times like these we must just think of the benefit we're doing our bodies even if it doesn't = lost pounds. The exercise and better nutrition benefits our blood pressure, cholesterol, our brains, our muscle tone, our lungs --- lots of perks to enjoy even when the scales don't cooperate! ;)

Bonjour Madame, I'm hoping you're right about water retention. Maybe I just injested too much sodium yesterday or something and I just happened to be retaining water this morning. I'm not sure that 2 lbs. more or less is going to have any bearing on the ways my clothes fit. But 10 lbs., 20 lbs? I definitely ought to see some progress at that point.

Darla, I'm totally on board with the no weighing every day thing. That'd be too much of a rollercoaster ride for me. Once a week is enough to step up and face the music!

Packrat, thank you for helping me keep a sane head! That panicked feeling was all too familiar this morning and I caught myself subconsciously moving right to the same pointless pledges I always resort to in moments like this. Best wishes in finding your own motivation!!!

Teru, I'm so proud - you go, girl!

Jeanne said...

STOP DO NOT PANIC! remember mussel weighs more than the fat you are replacing. Most good diets tell you not to weigh yourself the first three months because the numbers are not there till then. you are in the process of body exchange fat for health right now and I know we as women want gratification right away on this subject but that will not happen on the scale. You are creating tone first and definition. How your clothes fit is the name of the game first. I am going to talk about some thing that may help but a little personal...It is important to do a good colon cleanse at the onset of a project like this. There are many all natural choices. Clean the pipes and the health of your digestion to get the nutrition to burn the fat will improve. Yes, I am over weight and working right along side you. Ths is the one step I am doing different this time. It has really helped. The high fiber cereal in the morning is still a good choice. As a vegitarian i know your smart and must know about whole grains etc. Please do not be dicouraged. A few years back I joined a gym and was faithful three times a week. I ate well etc. at the end I weighed 20 lbs more than when I started! BUT it was now toned and mussel not fat. My pm snacking and eating out on the run ruined it for me so here I am again right along side you. YOU GO GIRL!

Anonymous said...

Just want to send a little more good karma. You are getting there!

Jitterbug said...

Jeanne, thank you for sage advice. I'm doing a good job still today of quelling that feeling of panic and keeping up the hard work that I started. As for the colon cleanse, well, I had to have my colon removed several years ago --- so, needless to say, there's no cleansing to be done! The pipes I've got left are doing a great job though.

Gina, you're awesome. Thanks for the good karma. :)